Which game should I choose?

Which one should I choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One is a shooter and another is an RPG.

I've tried minimal amounts of both, and I feel the latter is superior out of genre bias.

They're both free though so it hardly matters though.

Dota is the RPG, TF2 is the shooter.

I didn't enjoy the latter, I barely got to play the former.

Even better, because Dota takes less time to download.

let's hope the laptop can take it

Heads up, my laptop couldn't (it's pretty worn-down anyway) so I gave up on trying to play it, but refer to this:

Javelin said:
yeah it defaults to high graphics i think, but if you go to the settings (the little gear button in the upper left), go to the video/audio tab, and go to advanced tab in the upper left, you can edit the texture quality. you can also slide the bar down there until you reach an acceptable level

also your framerate definitely picks up if you turn shadow quality to medium or low

I forget how it worked for me after doing this, but it should lighten the load on your laptop.

the binding of isaac: rebirth

Glaceon said:
Heads up, my laptop couldn't (it's pretty worn-down anyway)
Same, actually. I tried to download the GBA Emulator on it, but it just froze and refused to shut down.

My brothers solution was to restore it to factory settings. -.- Great.
He took it and restored it. Ugh. the struggles of redownloading everything.

dota 2

we're having a training game right now actually with dippy, ironclad, and stooben. if you hurry you can join us

edit: relevant posts of mine explaining dota
Javelin said:
New Super Mario said:
I'm just wondering. Not that it really matters my "family home computer" doesn't meet the minimum requirements apparently (but that's what they said about Gods and Kings and BNW, so I really don't know).
Knowing the games you've played, it's the closest to Fire Emblem but you only control one unit. And it's in real time. But you level up and buy items and stuff (although you don't attack with items, you attack with spells).

Your one hero is put on a team of five and you fight another team of five. Whichever side destroys the enemy base first wins.
Javelin said:
Mr. Game & Watch said:
Javelin said:
let me tell you about dota...
go on...
ok so dota is a game where you can spend hundreds of hours playing and still be constantly learning things and improving yourself

whenever i'm bored i'm like "i should just be playing dota" and i go play dota

you should too, if you're up to it. it's free on steam
Javelin said:
Mr. Edo said:
Dr. Javelin said:
yeah but in civ v you eventually get bored of it, or at least i did. there's only so long you can build roads and farms and mines before you look up and think "what am i doing with my life"

in dota 2 whenever you get to that point suddenly you'll have an awesome match and you're hooked again
Isn't DOTA an RTS strategy-heavy game? If so, I suck at RTS strategy. Like, really, you have no idea of the black hole that my RTS strategy skill is. I can't even get past the civilization phase in Spore, and that one is a watered down mess.
While it is technically an RTS, it's only in look and control. Imagine an RTS where you only control one unit the entire game, and you have to level up that unit and grind and fight enemy soldiers to get stronger as if it's an RPG. That's basically what Dota is.

The only RTS know-how required is how to control a unit. You know, right click on the ground to move there, right click an enemy to attack them, press a few buttons on the keyboard to cast spells, that kind of stuff. There are some heroes who control multiple units and have to micro them but that's annoying and you can choose to never play as them if you want.

However it's a pretty competitive game and if you're not into that stuff then I can't really recommend it. People often get really mad at newbies who don't know what they're doing because that usually means you're going to lose your game and waste 40 minutes of your life just because someone else didn't know how to play the game. This didn't happen to me so much because I took the time to practice against the AI, but I see it happen all the time in games I'm in.

It's much more fun if you play with friends, though. There's usually one or two people from Xeph playing, and you can always play games with them.

I'm going to have to switch houses and reinstall Steam, so you'll probably get me around 9 or so.

If you're playing later today or Sunday (Saturday is a weird day), tell me and I'll be there.

um, just download both, play both, and decide which one you like better.

they're both free anyway

oh ok

which one sounds more appealing to you? try that one out first.

alright i've added you

i'm going to eat dinner atm but when i'm back i'll see if everyone's willing to invite you

you'll probably want to at least go through the tutorials first so we don't have to teach you the controls

Don't worry, I'll be sure to learn how to control the game before I fight some people or whatever.

because who walks into a game without knowing how to do anything

actually a fair amount of people do that

i kind of feel bad when i kill one of them because it's really clear they have absolutely no idea what's going on

git gud scrub

yeah dota's pretty complicated, you kind of just have to ignore a bunch of what goes on until later

i didn't even get past the title screen, it just froze.

i have an msi u120 that runs windows xp and it's pretty shit

yeah ive got an msi u270 and it can only handle stuff like orange juice, and even then the cutscenes are slower than they should be
im assuming that the u120 is older then the u270 so you probably cant play many games on that computer except ones like oj which dont require much to run

Oh man, it's way older. I got this in 2007. Let's hope Garry's Mod works.
if not then fuck

Back