What languages do you speak?

Just English, but I really want to learn German.

Ich mag Deutschland!!!

"Be prepared that you will have absolutely no idea of what you're doing/talking (for language matters) for a very long time."

Freakworld said:
"Be prepared that you will have absolutely no idea of what you're doing/talking (for language matters) for a very long time."

I realise that, German is a very hard language, I probably couldn't pronounce Ich Mag Deutschland.

I've been learning Japanese for a while now, I've gotten to the point where I can nearly flawlessly remember Hiragana and Katakana and can read numerous simple sentences (though listening often requires me to take a couple seconds to process, and that's if I don't ask them to repeat it), but it takes me unnecessarily long to actually form my own sentences.

I got stuck after learning Hiragana, Katakana and some basic Kanji, the motivation is just gone :/

English.

Estoy estudiando español. (I'm Puerto Rican, so might as well learn the language of where my family is from)

While I don't really speak it nor have I studied it, there are various phrases and words in Japanese that I can basically recognize instantly.

And various words and phrases in other languages.

English is my native tongue, I've took at least 4 years of French, and I've studied Japanese for one semester. If I didn't have tight money and if I wasn't planning on transferring, I would've taken another semester on Japanese. :(

Right now, I memorized all the hiragana, I'm a tad rusty on katakana, but I know the vast majority of the characters, and I know maybe around 60 or more kanji, my memorization on them slightly less. I can form simple sentences.

Swedish, Finnish, English, a little bit Spanish and a few words in other languages.

President Madagascar said:
I got stuck after learning Hiragana, Katakana and some basic Kanji, the motivation is just gone :/

I know the feel when your motivation just vanishes in the middle of you doing something. Like me doing a workout...

English, British English to be exact, despite being in the States, also German, Russian, Japanese, Korean, French, Irish, Hebrew, and Spanish.

English natively and I've done German at school for the past five years, so I'm alright at that. I've done French in the past but can only remember random words and how to conjugate one verb (And I don't even know what the verb means), I also did Spanish but can only remember a few random words, and I also know a few random words in various languages, but nothing useful.

Just English, although I did briefly take a french class back in middle school but I barely remember anything from it aside from stupidly asking my teacher what "Au revoir" means and the class laughed at me.

Yeah... not my proudest moment.

Can't believe I think I know more Russian than I do Chinese, and I never took a formal course on Russian.

I can read the Cyrillic script flawlessly and I can transcribe into Latin pretty well: I slow down on words I'm not familiar with, which is pretty much most of them, lol.

Reading the Russian translation of the subtitles in Left 4 Dead 2 is pretty helpful to learning, since there's the original English phrase next to it, as well as having access to the voice clips so I know how these words are supposed to sound like. I get confused between unstressed O and stressed O (unstressed O sounds like "aw", which is barely any difference to me than A). Also, because of it, I also know some common interjections like "готовы", "хорошо", "Ладно", etc.

I'm surprised to how similar many of the words are to English and similar languages. There's a lot of cognates.

Grammar is another story. I know there are six declensions. The first two are straightforward and easy to remember, the rest I don't know much the rules of so I have to partake in more memorization. And forget about conjugations, gender, and hard-stems and soft-stems... :/

I never formally took a course in French, but since I've been living with my French mother all my life, I know quite a few phrases I've picked up from her and I know exactly what they mean.

Back