Tyrell Badd

"The hated boss who beats you down..."
Chat Administrator
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
MarioWiki
Gamefreak75
Basically what the title says. Game's been out for nearly two weeks and most of us who wanted the game already have it and probably played through all stages at least once. This applies to both new and retro stages.

I'll start off with the ones I hate just to get them out of the way.

Retro Stages: Mushroomy Kingdom and Brinstar are absolutely appalling, the former for its drab environment, awful scrolling gimmick, and forgettable music while the latter has a drab environment, annoying acid stage hazard, and, in my opinion, not the strongest selection of music, although I do have a fondness of Brinstar Depths music (even though that stage was terrible in Melee).

New Stages: Balloon Fight is definitely at the top of the list. Not only is the edge camping seriously wonky with this stage's gimmick, it seems that even the slightest punch sends you to your death. The fish is obnoxious because it literally comes out the millisecond you touch the water and the platforms don't even know what they want to be. Some are solid, some you can go through. It makes no sense. The lightning is obnoxious too, but by far the biggest offenders are the flippers. It's one of those bullshit random things too. Sometimes they're there, sometimes they aren't. My worst experience is when they stopped Dedede's Final Smash (which I don't really like). He hits them with the hammer thrice and then sends a bomb their way while they're in the air, helpless. But the fucking flipper nudged them out of the way when he finished the hammer strikes so the bomb missed. WHAT KIND OF BULLSHIT IS THAT?!?!

Spirit Train is another one that I didn't think I'd hate, but it's now a thorn in my side. Sometimes the train likes to move quickly to the right while you're stuck in the car, killing you. Sometimes the trains like to explode on top of the cars and have an insane blast radius. Maybe you'll fall between the cars and die before you even have a second to react. Sometimes Alfonzo will drive the train into the bomb car. Doesn't he know that that's an instant game-over? Leave it him, alright.

Ok, now for stages I like.

Retro Stages: I'm going to be completely honest, I don't really like most of the retro stages save for WarioWare but they took out the best song on it (WarioWare Medley), so there's really no reason to play on it. Same with distant planet.

New Stages: Magicant. It's pretty obvious why and I've explained a million times, so there's no need to go over it. Unova Pokemon League is another I really like. It's like Spear Pillar 2.0 but without Cresselia, so it's better (although I wish the 3ds wasn't limited to 2 songs, there's plenty of good music that could've gone with it). I'm actually surprised at how much I like Find Mii, and the Emperor isn't as obnoxious as I thought he would. Definitely not compared to a certain yellow stage-hazard...Tortimer Island is great too, and it does the random aspect far better than Balloon Fight.

So your thoughts?

:smashball: <-- make it happen, people

Favourites:

Retro Stages
Definitely WarioWare. Such a fun stage with good gimmicks.

New Stages
My favourite is the Unova Pokémon League. Based off Spear Pillar, awesome visuals and epic music. I also enjoy Dream Land. An actually good scrolling stage.

Least Favourites:

Retro Stages
Mushroomy Kingdom and Distant Planet are dumb. Especially Mushroomy Kingdom, it's super dumb.

New Stages
Balloon Fight sucks. A lot. The stupid fish always eats me when I try to go to my opponent and I killed myself with the stupid flipper. Magicant would've been so much better with no flying men, but it sucks because the flying men completely ruin it.

Favorite New Stages: 3D Land, Golden Plains, Mute City, Dream Land, Gaur Plain, Prism Tower, Reset Bomb Forest

Favorite Retro Stages: Warioware, Jungle Japes, Yoshi's Island

Least Favorite New Stages: Balloon Fight, Tomodachi Life, Tortimer Island

Least Favorite Retro Stages: Distant Planet, Brinstar, Mushroomy Kingdom

Bolded ones are the ones I like/dislike most.

Favorites, or at least ones I don't hate:
* Boxing Ring
Nice decent normal stage, though I'm disappointed the ceiling drop doesn't do as much damage as I thought.
* Prism Tower
Good twist on the Delfino Plaza stage
* Tortimer Island
No particular annoying gimmicks, and it's Animal Crossing, enough said
* Unova Pokemon League
Well, the Pokemon aren't quite as annoying as they were in Spear Pillar
* Paper Mario
Despite Sticker Star getting more recognition than it deserves (which is none), no annoying gimmicks here.

Least Favorites
* Distant Planet
I seem to recall someone asking what the Wii U users get for paying more money. Well, for one thing you get better controls and a seemingly better Pikmin stage.
* Rainbow Road
Dodging the Shy Guys can be a bit challenging sometimes.
* Wily Castle
The Yellow Devil

yeah nice joke i can really tell the difference between it and the posts of people who actually think like that

Favorites (New):
- Magicant: By far my most favorite stage. I felt like, even though I have yet to play a Mother game (though I know the games very well), it holds a lot of connection to the actual game. Not to mention how visibly pleasing it is. I also love that the stage has little gimmicks and things that add to it, but yet the gimmicks don't hinder the gameplay like some stages (coughGoldenPlainscough) do, and actually rather helps. It's a mad struggle for Flying Men, though they aren't that bad to take out if they aren't on your side.

- Find Mii: Kind of going along with Magicant, it has gimmicks to it, but they are well-controlled and it's rather fun playing on this stage. I do like the power-ups and power-downs that the Emperor does, which does make the battle more exciting to me.

- Paper Mario: I feel like it was so much fanservice, and it was great. I love playing on it, and enjoying the music that plays on it. Just that transition to the last version is annoying, but it's still great.

- Dream Land: While I think side-scrollers are okay if you want to just do it once in awhile, I do like how this one was done, and is by far the best side scroller this game. Maybe it's the fact that this seems very nostalgic, but I just love the retro feel to it and how cute it really is. I definitely have fun on this one.

- Arena Ferox: Definitely a fav of mine due to the fact that Fire Emblem (<3) but also that it can be different each time with the changing settings, and it makes for variety while still keeping it very controlled and not gimmicky. Not to mention Id Purpose (<3).

Semi-Favorite (I just had to include them):
- Reset Bomb Forest: I just realize like the feel of this one, and it's not gimmicky other than the stage transition, which is way better than Paper Mario's stage transitions.

- Unova Pokemon League: I have to comments on this one since it's just a very fun stage.

Favorite (retro):
- WarioWare: Basically the only one. It just felt great, and at least they have Ashley's song, which I like.

Least Favorite (new):
- Golden Plains: Just hate it. It just sucks all around. It really serves no purpose other than to collect coins, and while I like using stages to their full potential, it just seems to deter from the battling. Not to mention it'll randomly scroll a bit. This also might be hated for my hatred over NSMB2.

- Gaur Plains: No offense to it so much that it is nice, it just feels so awkward with how the platforms are placed. "Oh you want to attack your opponent on the right? Have fun getting there with three small platforms that line up diagonally outwards". It's so hard to maneuver on that stage, and even harder to fight anywhere but on the top because of how small those little platforms below are.

- Pac-Maze: I want to love it, but like with Golden Plains, it just takes away from the battling for little reward. Not to mention that - even when I'm just fighting computers - the game lags a lot when people get their special pellets, which really bugs me because it moves everyone slower and has thrown me off for a few seconds.

- Living Room: It's not as bad but it's annoying that I died three times in the same match because a stupid object fell on me while I was barely in the air. It would be a better stage if the falling objects didn't hinder your battling. Not to mention that it's very wide, which means that you either KO them upwards or wait until they're at like 200% to finally launch them on the sides (or if you're me and you get the Gust Bellows and blow them off to the side until they get KO'd).

- Balloon Fight: I'm pretty sure Gamefreak nailed it on the head with how I fell about the stage.

Worse Stages (Retro):
- Corneria: Can we please just one Smash game not have this ship or any form of it as a stage? How many times has this stage appeared? I feel like we will never see the end of it.

- Brinstar: Again, what's with the boring retro stages? I think it's self-explanatory about why I don't like this.

- Mushroomy Kingdom: Of all the Mario retro stages to choose from, it just had to be this stage, didn't it? You could not have done Luigi's Mansion (unless of course which is for the Wii U version (fingers crossed))? Not to mention that Mario didn't even need a retro stage, and didn't even need those 4 stages (They could have easily gotten rid of Golden Plains and it would actually improve the game).

For the rest, I feel like I haven't played on them enough or that I just find them okay/tolerable (such as Spirit Train).

y'know what I'm ripping off of gamefreak, SUE ME

Starting with ones I don't like as much:

Retro Stages

Mushroomy Kingdom is just... bad. It's enough they had to take out 1-2 (which, to me anyways, was the better of the two options), but even just the thought of bringing it back. Delfino Plaza would have been a much better choice, by far and away. Also, the music they brought back for it were pretty awful choices, imo.

The other ones I really don't mind as much, but I could probably do without Jungle Japes just because of how hazardous it is and, really, so easily you can be killed by that hazard.

New Stages

I'm really not that big of a fan of Living Room and Tortimer Island. Both are way too big (they're Ridley size :yoshi:) and I don't really care for the falling platforms in Living Room especially. So it's arguably got to be my least favorite, as of now. Gaur Plain is also a tricky one, because I absolutely love the scenery and I love the music, but it's not the most well-thought out stage in terms of the layout...

For my favorites:

Retro Stages

I'm glad WarioWare, Inc. came back, it was a really fun stage with all its gimmicks. I'm also happy Green Hill Zone came back, I always thought it was a fun stage and the two music selections for it were great choices. I don't mind Brinstar and Corneria too much, but I could of done with Brinstar at least getting one new track.

New Stages

Oh, Magicant. Magicant, Magicant, Magicant. You are my one true love. The stage is so perfect in every way possible, even if it is really gimmicky. The amount of throwbacks to Mother and Earthbound are ridiculous, from the Flying Men to the Dungeon Man to the rifts in the back to the Sky Runner to the Giant Octopus to the Mobile Sprout, it's absolutely amazing and I love everything about it. It's easily my favorite stage in any Smash game.

After that, I honestly like the rest of the Smash stages that I didn't mention in the dislikes. I really, REALLY enjoy 3D Land, Paper Mario, Dream Land, Prism Tower, Mute City, Arena Ferox, and Boxing Ring. 3D Land is honestly a really nice sidescroller, really one of the first ones I've ever liked. Paper Mario is just absolutely gorgeous, even if the third part of it is annoying. Dream Land is also a really neat sidescroller, and I think the basis of it and the music are fantastic. Prism Tower took what was good about Delfino Plaza, condensed it into a 3DS stage, and turned into a Pokemon stage, and I love ittt. Mute City is just really great fun, especially for an F-Zero fan like myself. Arena Ferox is a stage I honestly didn't have a lot of interest in the couple of times I first saw it, but it's actually a pretty good stage and the random layouts aren't as tricky as I initially thought. Boxing Ring is a nice, simple-ish stage, besides the ropes and the lights, it's kind of like Final Destination but WWE style and IT'S GREATTTT.

I also wanna give Pictochat 2 a shout-out, because I think it's a really fun stage and a vast improvement over the original Pictochat stage.

I haven't really decided my favorites or least favorites yet, but there's plenty I like and don't like.

I'll start with the ones I don't like that much.

Retro:

I hate Jungle Japes. I hated it in Melee, I hated it in Brawl, I hate it now. It's not hard to fall off and it's nearly impossible to get back up once you do. Quite possibly the worst stage in the game.

I also dislike Distant Planet. Primarily because of the rain.

And of course, Mushroomy Kingdom. While I never hated it as much as most people here, it's still not a good stage. Any of the other three would have been a significantly better choice, though if we're not going to have retro stages for every franchise then why exactly does the one with four new stages even need one?

New:

I wanted a Balloon Fight stage, but I'm really disappointed with how it turned out. The flippers, the fish, and the lightning are all extremely annoying.

Living Room is way too large, and the falling blocks are a pain in the ass.

Pretty much per BMB on Gaur Plain. The poor platform layout makes it a pain to maneuver on.

The first part of Reset Bomb Forest is ok, but I hate the layout of the second part.

Spirit Train is one I thought I would like, but the train's sudden movements to the right make me dislike it.

Wily Castle is a really great stage...until the horrendous Yellow Devil shows up, which he does way too often. If he didn't exist, the stage would be better, but he pretty much ruins it.

Golden Plains's mechanic is too distracting and I don't find it fun to play on even if I ignore it. Pac-Maze is also a bit distracting, though I like the stage better. It lags a lot though, which makes it less fun.

And now for the ones I like quite a bit.

Retro:

As it was one of the three best Brawl stages, WarioWare, Inc. is by far the best returning stage. It's the only one I really love, though I'm ok with Corneria and Brinstar.

New:

Prism Tower and Tomodachi Life seem similar to Delfino Plaza and Luigi's Mansion respectively, and they were the other two of the three best Brawl stages, so I like them a lot too.

3D Land is a nice stage. Probably the best scroller yet. Dream Land's a good one too.

Mute City's not as good as the Melee Mute City, but it's still really fun.

Magicant's pretty cool. Flying Men can be slightly annoying, but overall it's a fun stage.

Boxing Ring is good. Lights aren't too annoying to deal with.

Rainbow Road was my favorite at first. I don't think that's the case at this point, but it's still an enjoyable stage. Possibly better than the last Mario Kart stage, which I liked a lot.

The first two parts of Paper Mario are really fun. I don't like the third, though.

Favorites:

Retro Stages:
- WarioWare is easily my favorite because of the minigames. It's so fun. I just wish it had Mona Pizza song, but Ashley song is great too.
- Brinstar, the stage is cool with awesome music.
- Distant Planet, awesome music, the Bulbord is too funny.
- Mushroomy Kingdom, the first level of Super Mario Bros., so nostalgic, the speed scrolling is fair.

New Stages:
- 3D Land, cool music and lots of variety.
- Golden Plains, unique gimmick.
- Rainbow Road, beautiful.
- Prism Tower, because Lumiose City theme.
- Tortimer Island, because I love Animal Crossing.

Least favorites:

Retro Stages:
- Jungle Jape, the water pushes you so fast, it's not even funny, unless you have a character with high recovery, you are dead.

New Stages:
- Spirit Train, terrible, scrolls fast, if you ends on the right you are dead.
- Dream Land, horrible look, the stage changes can make you suicide.
- Magicant, Flying Men is one of the worst stage hazard ever.
- Find Mii, boring look, the Dark Emperor is too powerful and annoying.
- Pac-Maze, so horrible and dark, I don't want to fight there.
- Pictochat 2, the hazards suck hard.
- Green Hill Zone, boring.

Stages I like
3D Land: I don't mind scrolling stages and I love this stage. It's very representative of Mario and is fun to play on
Golden Plains: I really like this stage too. I hate New Super Mario Bros. 2 but this stage is awesome!
Rainbow Road: Fun stage. Don't mind the Shy Guys, they're not tough to avoid. And people saying they're overpowered, I play in ----ing 2.0 ratio, where basically anything can kill you :]
Gerudo Valley: I like this stage too
Yoshi's Island: Like this stage in Brawl, like this in this game
Prism Tower: Not my favorite but not a bad stage
Mute City: I find this one very amusing
Arena Ferox: Like this stage
Reset Bomb Forest: I really like the visuals of this stage
WarioWare Inc: Same as Yoshi's Island
Distant Planet: My personal Wario torture stage
Wily Castle: Like this stage a lot :)
Brinstar: My personal DK torture stage

Stages I don't care about/don't have strong feelings for
Balloon Fight
Flat Zone 2
Battlefield
Final Destination
Corneria
Pictochat 2
Gaur Plain
Find Mii
Tomodachi Life
Balloon Fight
Spirit Train

Stages I dislike
Magicant: I never got why everyone and their goldfish liked this stage. It's a bland boring stage and I find the Flying Men to be the only thing amusing about it. I hate the rock guy on the bottom of the stage that the computers love to camp near too.
Dream Land: The constant caves of life here is really smooth. Really this stage sucks.
Unova Pokemon League: Zekrom and its electric farts plus the annoying bridges can just go to hell.
Jungle Japes: It sucks. Thank you so much running water. I have to give this stage credit for amusing CPU deaths though.
Mushroomy Kingdom: This stage sucks. Badly. I don't mind auto-scrollers as I said but this drab wasteland is completely a literal desecration of the Mario series.
Paper Mario: I think this is the worst stage in the game. The stupid fan is irritating and the Bowser's Castle segment is freaking obnoxious.
Tortimer Island: Should have renamed this stage: "Why the Crap Are the Blast Lines Obnoxiously Large!? Island".
Boxing Ring: I hate the falling lights.
Living Room: I hate the falling objects and their terrible collision detection.
Green Hill Zone: This stage sucked in Brawl, it sucks here too
Pac-Maze: WAAYYY too distracting

Stages I really like (in order of franchise):
Final Destination: Simple stage but with eye catching views in the background.
3D Land: For a scrolling stage this was actually really enjoyable. It felt like proper respresntion of the game and the series as a whole (unlike mushroomy kingdom).
Rainbow Road:Interesting and enjoyable stages. Shy Guys are fair hazards.
Paper Mario: The first two sections are very enjoyable and nostalgic .
Spirit Train: While the train breaking may be seen as evil, it's still very enjoyable to torture people on a train.
Dream Land: Enjoyable, diverse stage.
Prism Tower: I don't know if it's just a obsession with towers and moving platforms or just an enjoyable.
Magicant: This stage just looks and feels epic and emotional even though I never played Earthbound.
Arena Ferox: A fair stage that you can have intresting battles with.
Warioware Inc.: Microgames keep things really intresting and adds an element that isn't too distracting
Pictochat 2: The pictures actually change things up and keeps it diverse.

Stages I dislike:
Mushroomy Kingdom: Feels so gimmicky and because it does, it's so annoying.
Jungle Japes: The river and small platforms just makes this annoying to play on.
Tortimer Island: Long bland flat stage where you can't fucking see yourself when you go into the water.
Balloon Fight: Getting pulled by fish and not being able to recover easily is very nice. Bumpers suck to.
Wily Catle: Four words: Fuck the Yellow Devil.

Any stages that were not mentioned are stages that aren't too exciting but I don't mind playing on at all.

? Block said:
Magicant: I never got why everyone and their goldfish liked this stage. It's a bland boring stage and I find the Flying Men to be the only thing amusing about it. I hate the rock guy on the bottom of the stage that the computers love to camp near too.

It's because it's basically the best possible Mother series stage rep.

Dr. John H. Watson said:
? Block said:

Sorry but I found Onett and Fourside much more enjoyable stages than Magicant

Say what you want about the stupid cars in Onett, they're not tough to dodge.

Dr. John H. Watson said:
? Block said:

Wish it wasn't so bland and boring, because I doubt Mother is bland and boring.

As Baby Luigi said, I enjoyed Onett and Fourside way more.

Besides, the one-way jump through platforms (which is what this stage is entirely composed of) in Magicant can go to hell too

Eh I don't really see that

I barely even know Mother (I'm halfway through the game) and Magicant is by far my fav stage.

I don't know Mother at all so yeah I probably don't get all the references and stuff in the stage

Onett's still my favorite Mother stage, but I enjoyed Magicant much more than Fourside and New Pork City.

(note: I know almost nothing about the series)

At least everyone can agree that New Pork City is a horrible stage

Custom stage-built stages that play the New Pork City music offer a much more enjoyable experience anyway

My point still stands

I'm not even implying custom-built stages are fun to brawl on either.

Back