The Official Music Thread

ゴジラ said:
Bruce Springsteen is coming out with a new album in January titled High Hopes. A couple songs on the album are covers. A lot of this album is stuff Bruce wrote awhile ago that never made it onto an album. There will most likely be a tour in 2014. I just hope there's gonna be a show near me.

Yeah, I checked out the track listing. From what I saw, it seems like an interesting album for him, considering it contains both new and old material. It also looks like a few of the songs were on EPs he released over a decade ago, while "The Ghost of Tom Joad" was on the album of the same name. Is he just re-releasing these songs on this album or re-recording them altogether? I'd assume the latter.

Also, does he do covers often? Kinda interesting that he's including some on this album.

The original album version of "The Ghost of Tom Joad" is a slow acoustic song. This new version is a full band version with guitarist Tom Morello guest-starring.

Yeah, all these songs are being re-recorded. Some of these songs like "41 Shots," a very emotional and powerful song I might add, he has preformed live for over a decade, but has never put on a studio album.

He usually doesn't do covers on his albums. During live performances, he'll do them every so often if someone brings a sign request.

ゴジラ said:
The original album version of "The Ghost of Tom Joad" is a slow acoustic song. This new version is a full band version with guitarist Tom Morello guest-starring.

Yeah, all these songs are being re-recorded. Some of these songs like "41 Shots," a very emotional and powerful song I might add, he has preformed live for over a decade, but has never put on a studio album.

He usually doesn't do covers on his albums. During live performances, he'll do them every so often if someone brings a sign request.

Oh wow, that sounds awesome. I'd definitely prefer that over an acoustic version. And Tom Morello on top of that? I'm enthused. That sounds worth checking out.

That's cool how he's going to be recording a studio version for a live-only track. It seems like he only released that song on a 2001 live album, you're right, so it'll be interesting to see how the studio version plays out.

What do you mean a sign request? I'm confused by what you mean with that.

So the new Springsteen album released today. My dad went out and bought it while on his lunch break. I haven't listed to all of it, but the parts I have heard sound great.

Especially The Ghost of Tom Joad. Morello sings one of the verses as well. It's a great reimagining of the song.

Okay, I need some advice, I guess.

So, my friend showed me this one song by Panic at the Disco (can't remember which one), and I actually liked that song. So, are they any good, and what songs do you recommend?

I also am going to try to listen to some Led Zepphlin, because I hear it on the radio sometimes on long car rides (nana listens to classic rock sometimes). MCS, care to help me out here? :)

Also, nobody try to recommend Gorillaz for me, please. I have a friend who likes them, so I've heard some songs, and it's not my type of music, and that's that.

Soundless Voice said:
Also, nobody try to recommend Gorillaz for me, please. I have a friend who likes them, so I've heard some songs, and it's not my type of music, and that's that.
Dr.-Who.gif

As for Led Zeppelin, I reccomend their album 'Houses of the Holy '

And now I do a mini-review for every song on High Hopes

"High Hopes"
The title track. Catchy beat. I can see this being played at live shows a lot. It's fun to sing along to and sounds great when the full band kicks in.

"Harry's Place"
This is a weird song. At least for Springsteen. It's about gangsters and the narrator talks about how you "don't fuck with Harry's money or fuck Harry's girls." The music itself sounds good, it's just an odd direction for Springsteen to go.

"American Skin (41 Shots)"
A song based off real life events where a man was shot 41 times by the NYPD because he reached into his back pallet to grab his wallet to prove his identity. The cops thought he was reaching for a gun, so they preemptively shot him. The song is very solemn and serious and was first performed back in 1999 or 2000. Very emotional song.

"Just Like Fire Would"
A cover. Fun, upbeat song with a clever title. This is another song that would work very well live. Not much else to say.

"Down in the Hole"
This was a song written about the 9/11 attacks. It was left off of The Rising album because it sounded somewhat similar to another 9/11 remembrance song "Empty Sky. The song is moving and talks about the people trapped in the rubble of the twin towers.

"Heaven's Wall
One of my favorites off of the new album. It has a very gospel feel to it and works as a little bit of a call and response. Could definitely see this becoming a staple of live shows.

"Frankie Fell in Love"
This has that classic E Street feel to it. It's short, but fast and energetic. This is another song that could easily find a home on live setlists.

"This is Your Sword"
Catchy, upbeat, and about love. Sounds like it was meant to be on the Working on a Dream album. It also has bit of an Irish feel to it like a lot of the songs on Wrecking Ball.

"Hunter of Invisible Game"
Meh. This one's kind if forgettable.

"The Ghost of Tom Joad"
Easily one of my favorites on the new album. It's a reworking of an acoustic song that Springsteen wrote back in 1995. It has be rearranged as a faster, hard-rocking song. Tom Morello sings one of the verses. Here's a link

"The Wall"
This song is written about a friend of Bruce's who went off into Vietnam and never returned home. In the song, the narrator visits the Vietnam Memorial Wall. The song itself is decent, but the message is strong.

"Dream Baby Dream"
A short, simple song with few lyrics and is a cover. It's a nice song and a good way to close out the album.

wowo guys isn't this amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNu_-deVemE

I have "Let It Go" stuck in my head, but for some reason the melody is from "Run To You" by Bryan Adams.

Xanthium said:
Should I post Pedobear's theme
Code:
      ∩___∩
     |ノ      ヽ
    /   ●    ● | クマ──!!
   |     (_●_) ミ
  彡、     |∪|  、`\
/ __    ヽノ /´>   )
(___)     /  (_/
  |        /
  |   /\  \
  | /     )   )
   ∪     (   \
           \_)
It's Kumā!

Weird songs, songs you hate, songs you like.

Weird: Katy Perry feat. Juicy J: Dark Horse
I'm listening to it now. But the video? Me: what the...
Hate: The Chainsmokers: #selfie
It really annoys me, and it SUCKS, plus I'm watching a chart show and it's on now. I have put on my headphones and listening to a better song than THIS.
Love: Pitbull feat. Ke$ha: Timber
It's so awesome! I am waiting for it come on. I love it so much!!

Re: Weird songs, songs you hate, songs you like.

I think the thread in Entertainment covers this

http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=3320.0

Crocodile Dippy said:
Discuss anything music-related here.

I still find it sad that no store here sells INXS albums. I mean, honestly, INXS were one of the most popular Aussie groups ever, and I can't find a single store here in Melbourne that sells them. It's just depressing, man. :(
5 Seconds of Summer. They (I think) reached No.1 with "She Looks so Perfect".

The whole Frozen soundtrack have been stuck in my head for months. As of now, I can sing three different versions (english, norwegian, danish) of let it go.

Back