The Official Music Thread

Tucky the Snowman said:
Some songs lose their meaning when censored, tho. Cee Lo Green's Fuck You! is the one that comes to my mind.
but she ain't messin' with no broke broke

I don't think this has been mentioned anywhere, but the 2013 inductees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame were announced a while back. The inductees:

-Heart
-Albert King
-Randy Newman
-Public Enemy
-Rush
-Donna Summer
-Lou Adler
-Quincy Jones

As much as I love Public Enemy, they're a hip hop group not a rock group. Or are they basing this on their collaboration with Anthrax?

Eh, I don't know. Not the first time they've inducted a hip-hop group, though.

Smasher Claus said:
Eh, I don't know. Not the first time they've inducted a hip-hop group, though.

That, basically. But hey, I can't complain too much, as they inducted Rush, one of my favorite bands.

Yeah, I'm happy about Rush's induction, along with Heart's. A bit bummed that Deep Purple didn't make the cut, though.

Squirtle said:
I think cussing is stupid. Nicki Minaj over-uses it, and either way her songs suck (IMO).

What a simplistic perspective to have.

MCS said:
Tucky the Snowman said:
While I agree with you on Nicki Minaj, cursing is not always stupid, but only a few can curse in an intelligent way.

Which honestly, not many modern artists today, if any at all, can curse "intelligently".

oh are you one of those "music was so much better before i was around to listen to it" people

Gideon Gordon Graves said:
oh are you one of those "music was so much better before i was around to listen to it" people

Not entirely, but the majority of the stuff I listen to is 60s, 70s, and 80s. I do listen to some post-'98 stuff, but not all the time.

I do think that autotune can and has been used well, and by talented artists, but that's a debate for another day- for the most part that article absolutely dead-on. Twenty years from now, when people think of music from the 2000s, they'll think Queens of the Stone Age, Arcade Fire, Gorillaz, Daft Punk, etc.

I agree.
Yes, I really dislike the idiots at school who only like a song if it has been released within the last year or is on the charts. I also hate it when people think anything released after 2000 is horrible. I mean, some of my favorite artists/bands are from/most popular in the 2000's (Gorillaz and White Stripes are the main ones and my favorite Red hot chilli peppers album- Stadium Arcadium, was released in 2006)

Yeah, there is good music now along with the horrible stuff. There is also horrible 80's music along with the really good stuff.

I do think that autotune can and has been used well, and by talented artists, but that's a debate for another day- for the most part that article absolutely dead-on. Twenty years from now, when people think of music from the 2000s, they'll think Queens of the Stone Age, Arcade Fire, Gorillaz, Daft Punk, etc.
If you're using it to do the singing for you, then it's just bad. And that's basically the only way the vast majority of musicians ever use it.

One of my favourite Youtube artists is Pogo; he does remixes that splice together sound and music clips from popular movies or television series, and he employs auto-tune to the voice clips to make it sound like they're singing. I don't mind that. But if you're meant to be a professional singer, you should practice and rely on your own talent.

Crocodile Dippy said:
If you're using it to do the singing for you, then it's just bad. And that's basically the only way the vast majority of musicians ever use it.

One of my favourite Youtube artists is Pogo; he does remixes that splice together sound and music clips from popular movies or television series, and he employs auto-tune to the voice clips to make it sound like they're singing. I don't mind that. But if you're meant to be a professional singer, you should practice and rely on your own talent.

1. Oh, right. Agreed. Autotune is best used for artistic purposes. Using it 'cause you can't sing is just cheating.

2. Yessssss, I love Pogo!

I do have one statement that will give those who hate anything new go mad.
The Calvin Harris album, I created disco, is good, imo. I like Calvin Harris as a solo dj artist. Songs like 'The girls' and 'acceptable in the 80's' are nice techno songs. Though I do admit, when he collaborates with people like Rhianna, it isn't so great as I do agree that sone newer/colab stuff like 'we found love' and 'bounce' is bad. There. I said it. Kill me.

I'm listening to Bad Apple 10 Hour version on YT.

Man, Touhou music is epic!

Following on the censorship we had talked about some pages back... I was watching the Pumped Up Kicks video on TV and the words "gun", "bullet" and "trigger" were censored. I thought it was peculiar. I mean, I can see why they would censor that, but I thought it was weird.

I know, and on the radio edit of 'Rock the House' the word 'Ass' is censored out.

On and unrelated note, my friend thinks the Marcus Collins version of '7 Nation Army' is better than the White Stripes. Yes, she is entitled to an opinion, but that particiular opinion peeves me off a little. The Marcus Collibs version is too happy and ruins the song a little for me as I love the original so much. Anyway, it is her opinion and I accept that fact.

Back