Super Mario Spikers

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
Now, I'm not sure if this is real, but it looks somewhat legit. Apparently Nintendo had a plan of making a Volleyball/Wrestling sports game, which is probably either the worst idea i've ever heard or the most genius. You can read about it here

Yeah, it was going to be developed by the guys who did Mario Strikers, Punch-Out!! '09, Dark Moon, etc

I can't even begin to imagine what that would be like.

Sounds interesting.

If it was made by the guys who made Strikers, then Petey could have been playable.

Why didn't this happen?!

Probably due to some technical difficulties, same reason why in Super Mario 64 final battle is different.

You guys just heard about this game recently?

I've known about this never-greenlit game for years. :x Disappointed that this stuff never materialized

Here's one of the concept arts

Mario_wrestling_01.jpg

Lookin' good, Mario :P

i would have bought this game if it was released

Does it's cancellation has to do with the same reason of why Peach was not in a Punch Out game?

This excuse does not work against Smash Bros.

apparently it was cancelled because it violated a japanese code of honor

Canadian people don't understand Japanese people. And the other way around. It's sad.

Magikrazy said:
And what code would that be?

it wasn't clear either. i don't get it. was the game too undignified?

I find the wrestling/volleyball hybrid pretty cool. Also, it's friggin' Next Level Games, they love making Mario Sports games more sci-fi than whimsical fantasy and.... I don't know, I just love that stylistic change since it's pretty unfitting in a cool way.

I feel like Waluigi gut-stomping Mario as he lies prone on the ground is the sorta thing Nintendo didn't like. Strikers is pretty violent by Mario standards, but even then, aside from the electric fence and Mario Kart-style items barrelling people over etc. it's mostly just knocking each other about in overly exuberant horseplay, rather than actual scrapping. SSB obviously has physical combat, but a lot of that's stylized, plus it's a T-rated crossover series rather than a full-on happy sunshine Mario title. The fact that they got away with as much as they did in Strikers was a pleasant surprise, and it's not surprising that Nintendo didn't let them take it a step further with Spikers. (Which is a shame because of all the sports games, the Strikers ones have always been the most fun by far imo, and another title in that vein would be awesome.)

Walkazo said:
I feel like Waluigi gut-stomping Mario as he lies prone on the ground is the sorta thing Nintendo didn't like. Strikers is pretty violent by Mario standards, but even then, aside from the electric fence and Mario Kart-style items barrelling people over etc. it's mostly just knocking each other about in overly exuberant horseplay, rather than actual scrapping. SSB obviously has physical combat, but a lot of that's stylized, plus it's a T-rated crossover series rather than a full-on happy sunshine Mario title. The fact that they got away with as much as they did in Strikers was a pleasant surprise, and it's not surprising that Nintendo didn't let them take it a step further with Spikers. (Which is a shame because of all the sports games, the Strikers ones have always been the most fun by far imo, and another title in that vein would be awesome.)
That makes sense, but I'd still love to see characters flying around like ragdolls and over-the-top moves and stuff.

Next Level Games have their own style when it comes to their Mario sports games, and the personality definitely shows. It's a shame Nintendo thinks that seeing their characters get knocked and thrown silly is inappropriate. That's the kind of thing I love.

Back