Why do people keep thinking Sarasaland is only a desert?

TheFarmboy

Bullet Bill
Pardon my little mini-rant. But since this is Mario related, I really want to vent my thoughts on this.

When you played the original Super Mario Land, there were four kingdoms with each a different enviroment.

Birabuto- A desert based around Ancient Egypt.
Muda- A giant ocean with some land to walk on.
Easton- Based on the Easter Islands with very rocky terrain.
Chai- Sub-tropical rainforsts with an Ancient China aesthetic.

One thing that really pushes my Fandom Beserk Button (It's from TVTropes.... pardon me for that) is that whenever Sarasaland is always brought up, people automatically assume it's only a desert, a la Birabuto. Is it because it's the first world and no one bothers to play past it that people assume that?

Sorry for my rant, needed to get that out of my system.

It's because like on one takes the time to actually play through all of Super Mario Land, because IDK, it has "bad graphics" or something like that, which is BS but whatever.

maybe it's because Daisy is such a dry and bland character she sucks the life out of everything in Sarasaland :daisy:

*he says, while having a Toad username

Game Boy Toadvance said:
maybe it's because Daisy is such a dry and bland character she sucks the life out of everything in Sarasaland :daisy:

By that logic, then how come nothing else is a barren wasteland? Other than the Mushroomy Kingdom.

Sarasaland is far too big and diverse to be considered merely a "desert".

Obviously because the desert is what most people remember, and for the ones who hadn't play it always assume that it is only a dessert because they read/heard about the dessert from the others.

Game Boy Toadvance said:

Quote of the day.

TheFarmboy said:
By that logic, then how come nothing else is a barren wasteland? Other than the Mushroomy Kingdom.
Mushroomy Kingdom was the true start of the New Super Mario movement.

My theory is because several people assume that the 1st world is the main setting in the game, in Sarasaland' s case the first world is a desert and the Game Boy colours don't really help.

EDIT: Despite the awful grammar, kid me actually makes a good point. Good job.

Last edited:
Probably because the first world is a desert, and the rest if the game looks the same cause it doesn't have any real colour. I honestly thought of Sarasaland was, well, a land.

Because people are generally misinformed about sml anyway. It does some neat little things but is understandably overshadowed by other retro mario games. The fact that Daisy is pretty much a spinoff game queen doesn't help.

I don't see why this place can't be revisited, we hadn't seen the Toad equivalent minions of Daisy. Or something new about Daisy. The “different” art style problem never existed in the first place.

I think Daisy has Petey Piranhas instead of Toads.

That's why she doesn't get kidnapped anymore.

Magikrazy said:
I think Daisy has Petey Piranhas instead of Toads.

That's why she doesn't get kidnapped anymore.

That's kind of strange but okay.....

Have you ever played Mario Hoops 3-on-3 or Mario Sports Mix.

Both have a court that takes place in Daisy's Garden, and there's two Petey Piranhas.

Magikrazy said:

Both have a court that takes place in Daisy's Garden, and there's two Petey Piranhas.

Well that explains it. Those are some of the few Mario spinoff games I haven't played. But that's kind of an issue too. Will Daisy get represented in a main game anytime soon?

Magikrazy said:

No, nor I seen the gameplay. I never thought that Petey has a connection to Daisy.

Back