Your Overall Thoughts on Smash 4 (Impressions)

Tyrell Badd

"The hated boss who beats you down..."
Chat Administrator
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
MarioWiki
Gamefreak75
First and foremost, people are allowed to be negative and mention stuff that they don't like about the game, even if it's Ridley. DO NOT go overboard (aka no "fuck you Sakurai" or "fuck you *person that has different opinion") because that's being silly. DO NOT come into this thread to moan about people's opinions, save that for the normal Smash thread. This is just for people to express their opinions.

Anyways, now that that's over with, what are your impressions of everything from the roster, stages, and modes to the items and assist trophies of this game? List all the negative and positive things you can think of. Finally, give your overall thoughts of it and discuss whether you think DLC is possible.

I'll start off with my negatives/cons.

-I know I'm a broken record, but I'm still mad (and very sad) that the Ice Climbers and Lucas were cut. An entire unique series representation (no, Dr. Mario was not a unique series, it was still part of the Mario series) was removed and from the looks of it, all Mother 3 references have disappeared from the games, or at the very least, from the 3DS version. The Ice Climbers and Polar Bear trophies in SSB4 now bear the generic Smash logo instead of the eggplant like in previous games, and the trophy of Ice Climbers does not mention their Smash inclusion at all, which is just bizarre. If anything, this means that no character is safe, aside from probably the original 12, no matter how unique they are, so when Smash 5 comes around, prepare for some serious cuts, even if it's the only character representing one series.

-Dark Pit exists. Sakurai was totally fine making Dark Pit and even giving him a unique final smash separate from his clone (spoilers: it's a clone of Zelda/Sheik's), but he couldn't be bothered with changing Toon Link's, Falco, Peach's, Lucina's, hell, even Dr. Mario's final smash to something different when they all have more source material to work from. Toon Link not having a unique final Smash even though he's been in 3-4 different games with different source material is downright atrocious. Falco still using the landmaster? Peach still having a useless final Smash? Dr. Mario literally getting a recolored/textured Mario Finale, although I admit, it does look a lot cooler and sounds better? Get out of here.

-Metroid, DK, and Kirby, all of them three of Nintendo's biggest series with plenty of source material, were shafted in this game while the Kid Icarus series, a long-dead series until just recently gets two newcomers, two new stages, a plethora of items and Smash Run enemies, and assist trophies. Metroid? No reps, now new items, a shitty returning stage, two enemies in smash run, and another generic lava stage for the Wii U. At least it got two new assist trophies. Kirby? No newcomers, no new items, one new stage (Gameboy), one returning stage (god i hope there's an actual Wii U Kirby stage that's not Halberd), and one new assist trophy. The series got quite a bit of Smash Run representation though. DK? Nothing at all. No newcomers, no new items, no assist trophies in general, like two Smash run enemies, no new stage. Then people wonder why others are calling "Sakurai-bias".

-Smash Run is apparently local only, which is fantastic (not).

-CSS looks terribly bland and there's stupid character placement.

-The stage selection, minus a select few which I'll mention in my positives, is atrocious. So many returning stages, so many stages shat out of the Wii U version for 3DS since the devs were too busy remodeling Dark Pit's hair to bother with making a lot of new stages.

Ok, onto the positives.

-Music is fantastic. The Magicant, MM2 Medley, and Full Steam Ahead are on the top of my list.

-The stage selection may be shit for the most part, but there's a few gems in there, mainly Lumiose City, Paper Mario, F-Zero, and Magicant.

-Despite not being online, Smash Run still looks like a fun mode.

-Aside from the horrible CSS, the other menus looks great as always.

-Despite eradicating all signs of Mother 3 from SSB4, Sakurai really did a lot of great things for the other two Mother games. Magicant is pretty much a giant fan-service stage to the fans of both games, from the setting including the Flying Men, to the wondrous music (Magicant/Eight Melodies and Smile and Tears covers), to the random background enemies such as the Territorial Oaks, the sprout enemies, and pencil/octopi statues popping out. Not to mention that the background opens up to reveal scenes from the first two games, namely the Sanctuaries. It's the best stage on the 3DS, imo, and EarthBound fan or not, you have to admit its one of the most visually appealing stages on the 3DS, especially next to drab stages like Mushroomy Kingdom or Brinstar. Also, the Smash Run enemies is one thing I feared that Mother wouldn't get, but lo and behold, there's Devil Cars and Starmen. There's also a Starman Assist Trophy!

-Classic Mode is shorter, which makes it less tedious, and Master Hand and Crazy Hand have new, great-looking moves. Can't wait to see them on the Wii U. Not to mention the new boss...but that's spoilers.

-Good selection of ATs. Midna, Dark Samus, Pong, Nightmare, Elec Man, Mother Brain, etc.

-Good selection of Pokeball Pokemon.

-Alot more trophies and interesting modes (Trophy Rush).

Overall, still looking forward to it. However, it's blatantly obvious that the 3DS held the Wii U version back, and the more info released, the more obvious. The 3DS CPP cannot act like a C-stick, but the New3DS's nub can. The New 3DS can post screenshots from Miiverse from the game, the 3DS cannot. Hardware limitations is what killed the Ice Climbers. Sakurai's biggest mistake was the roster parity, which the 3DS obviously affected.

I think there's a strong possibility of DLC (I really hope there is). In fact, I'd be more surprised if there wasn't. I'm under the impression that Sakurai purposely held back characters for a free DLC update for the 3DS once the Wii U version hits because it'd be the perfect way to stir up hype for the game for both versions. I'm hoping, that if they aren't in this game, that Ice Climbers and Lucas return to Smash 5. If Dr. Mario can return, there's no reason for Lucas and the Ice Climbers not to.

Pros >>>>>>>> Cons

Just saying. Most of the cons were just personal preferences for the roster. I'm surprised you didn't mention the fact that Mario has 7 reps now in the con section since that's a bit bias for the Mario series, especially with all the new Mario items and like 6+ Mario stages on the 3DS version alone.

I'm glad Dark Pit was put as a clone rather than a Pit costume swap, I like looking at a bigger selection even if the differences in some characters are only very minor. A difference is still a difference, as shown by Lucina moving from alt to clone status. It would've been nice if Alph got the same clone treatment but you win some, you lose some.

I don't really like the look of many of the stages in the 3DS version. There are a few that stand out above the rest with the others just being average at best. The gimmicks in some of them are just a bit too much for me.

I'm content with everything else and I believe my gripes are too minor to even be considered problems. Lucario could use some better costumes, slightly different shades of blue is a bummer but at least there's red, green and purple. No shiny alt but I wouldn't use it anyway so it's not a concern of mine.

Oh, I also would like to see DLC Smash Run maps happen.

Henry said:
Pros >>>>>>>> Cons

Just saying. Most of the cons were just personal preferences for the roster. I'm surprised you didn't mention the fact that Mario has 7 reps now in the con section since that's a bit bias for the Mario series, especially with all the new Mario items and like 6+ Mario stages on the 3DS version alone.

In Smash, personal preferences with the roster can make or break the game, especially when it comes to mains being cut.

Also, yeah, the Mario series slipped my mind. I totally expect one of the new Mario characters, aside from Dr. Mario, to be cut in the next game. Also, I think Zelda may have gotten more items than Mario, but both did get a lot (way too many) items.

half of that over-representation can probably go back to nintendo being hesitant to do anything with their brands outside their primary franchises, leaving little room for the "lesser" franchises to get more representation

wall of text incoming

The Nintendo series representation in this game is stellar in most regards imo, but mediocre in others. I feel that the playable character selection is fantastic (aside from Dark Pit, who's a complete clone in every regard, even his final smash is stolen from Zelda/Sheik lol) and far superior to any past installment—even the assist trophies and Smash Run enemies are diverse and amazing—but at the same time it still has a lot of room for improvement. It's a little sad that not every franchise received the same amount of love as Mario, Zelda and Kid Icarus (Saku-bias is absolutely a thing in my mind), though with the amount of content they're managing to squeeze in through the huge selection of trophies and Smash Run, I probably won't end up minding in the end myself, I'm a huge sap for Nintendo fanwank references of any capacity in Smash Bros. (I'm actually a little miffed that the Chorus Kids didn't end up being a thing, but with DLC happening there's still hope, and overall the roster is great anyway)

The stage selection is mostly poor, aside from a few standouts such as that gorgeous Magicant stage (although the flying men look really overpowered, hopefully that doesn't ruin it). Most of the new stages are great (even the gimmicky ones like Golden Plains), but it pisses me off that all of the past stages (and there are plenty of those) that were chosen to reappear had all appeared in Brawl. I'm also peeved that most franchises didn't receive a new stage, especially Metroid and DK (though they're being shafted for representation in general, so I guess that's to be expected), and I can't believe that Pictochat2 is actually a thing. The Final Destination/Omega form was a great idea, however.

From the small selection of tracks that I've heard, the music in this game is amazing. Even though there aren't as many rearrangements as there were in Brawl, I feel like the quality and selection of tracks that were remixed has improved a ton.

The new game mechanics have me interested the most. Character customisation will probably be my favourite part of Smash 4. Every character receiving an additional 8 moves makes this game seem much fuller than past installments, and the selection of specials is FANTASTIC (Hyper Voice instead of Sing, Sword Ganon, Fireballs for Bowser, Skull Barrier for Mega Man, the list goes on). With the variety available I might actually feel comfortable with playing as every character, which really excites me. Smash Run looks really fun, and so does the new Classic Mode. I'll probably spend a lot of time playing those to unlock custom parts and trophies. The only thing I'll probably miss is the satisfaction of KO'ing someone at a low percent with a powerful smash attack, the wider blast zones look seriously frustrating to deal with, but that's a really minor gripe in an otherwise great system. Tripping is gone, thank god

tl;dr overall, I think Smash 3DS will be my second favourite Smash game (Smash Wii U will obviously be my first), everything about it save a few minor things seems great and I'm really looking forward to playing it.

Just on the 3DS, not Wii U. Don't really care unless I hade a Wii U.

The game itself is actually really good looking, it's smooth and crisp, the controls are also really well suited to the system, aside from maybe the grabs, which are likely to be hard for people who don't use the L Button much, but that can be changed to Y or X if needed. The moves that use a line following the attack looks really good and actually make it easier for everyone, as it is especially the hitbox of the move, making it much easier to know where it's going to hit. The gameplay is just overall great, and the graphics are stunning for a 3DS game, even if the characters are small.

As for the character roster, (the thing everyone cares about) it looks pretty good. Sure, it could've been better, but otherwise it's fine. We got a wealth of newcomers, and some people seem to overlook that. I actually don't mind the clones in this game, they just add more variety, and even though they're similar, they can be very different in matches. There were a few odd newcomers (Wii Fit and Duck Hunt) and a few cuts that nobody liked (Ice Climbers), but I'm completely content with this roster, it's up to Smash 5 do expand it more.

They stages are good, but certainly not the best. They did go on a bit of a Mario overload, and other franchises needed those spots. Kirby could've had a better stage, and Golden Plains is very generic and not really needed. Stages like Paper Mario and Magicant are great in both visuals and representation, but it's stages like Pictochat 2 that make you wonder why these stages are shoved in with great ones. There were also a lot of stages from Brawl, making up at least a third of the stages.

I think I'll comment on things like Music and Smash Run when I actually play it.

On a personal level, I'm satisfied with the roster. Except for Snake, I got all the veterans I wanted back but I do feel for people who play Ice Climbers, Lucas, and/or Wolf, though. In terms of newcomers even though two of them didn't make it (Ridley and Dillon), I got pretty much who I wanted even though one of them comes with completely unnecessary baggage and that extra time and effort could've gone to an aspect of the game that actually needed it and I'll be a bit miffed if I'm forced to play as one of 'em during a team battle. I don't give a crap either way about Edgy Pit or Doc Mario, though I'm happy the latter returns with the tornado for a down-B. Duck Hunt will always hold a special place in my heart and I welcome DHD with open arms. I love all the references to other Zapper games in his moveset. And Mega Man, he could be the worst, most bottom-tier character in the history of this franchise and I will still play him like 85% of the time. I've waited so so long for his inclusion and nothing can dampen my hype for this.

Stages are a mixed bag. I love the idea of the Dream Land stage even though it scrolls. Magicant looks cool even though I know absolutely nothing about Earthbound. SNES F-Zero is the best thing. Not so much a fan of how a majority of these are returning from Melee and Brawl.

I've liked what I've heard musically so far, though I'm kinda bummed all of Mega Man's music is coming from MM2. There is so much great music in this franchise and limiting it all to just one game is disappointing. Plus I'm one of those "Mega Man 2 is overrated as hell" people so that probably doesn't help much. where's my skull man remix

ThreeThousand said:
I got pretty much who I wanted even though one of them comes with completely unnecessary baggage and that extra time and effort could've gone to an aspect of the game that actually needed it and I'll be a bit miffed if I'm forced to play as one of 'em during a team battle.
Being on a team only puts an outline around a character, so you could be a red Rosalina on the green team if you wanted. No so sure about the Wii U version. But you will be forced to play as one of the Koopalings if multiple people choose Jr..

I'm really torn.

In one hand, the game looks amazing visually. And we also finally have some fast paced gameplay that allows for combos. I see a bright future for competitive Smash 4. At least for the Wii U version, which will be better.

The music is also fantastic, as it is in many Smash game.

As for the roster, it's really a mixed bag. On one hand, we got some great newcomers like Villager, Mega Man, Little Mac, Robin, and Shulk, but we also got some questionable additions like Dark Pit, Rosalina, and even Junior. My biggest beef with the roster is definitely the cuts. It makes me angry that if we were getting the Wii U version only we could have the Ice Climbers as well as a larger roster. But of course, Sakurai had to be stubborn about the roster being the same between both version. With the Wii U not doing so good, they could have at least given it some exclusive characters. But since the characters are the same, a lot of people are only going to buy the 3DS version, leading to less sales for the Wii U, which is the system that actually needs sales. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If I was in charge of Smash, no character would be cut between games, even if that meant less newcomers. No one deserves to have their main cut. Even if they main Pichu, or Roy, or Snake. I've talked about Ridley enough so I won't bring him up here. You all know how I feel about that issue.

Then there's the issue of franchise representation. In the 3DS version, there are no new stages at all for Yoshi, Wario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Star Fox, Game and Watch, Pikmin, or Sonic. Meanwhile Mario gets five stages in the 3DS version. In addition, the stages from Melee were already reused in Brawl. If you were gonna reuse stages, reuse ones that haven't been reused. There's also the fact that Xenoblade, Punch-Out, and Mega Man just reuses stages from the Wii U version. And in Smash Run, Kid Icarus gets a bajillion enemies but DK gets two.

But perhaps my biggest issue is with the stages themselves. This seems to be an issue with the 3DS version but the Wii U version may have it too. The blast zones on most stages are, for a lack of a better phrase, too big. Some characters are living to like 200% on some stages. I hope this is fixed in the Wii U version or else tournaments may have to be two stocks because of how long matches are gonna take.

It may seem like I hate this game, but I don't. I just feel like the 3DS version is filler until the main course which is the Wii U version. I'm loving this game competitively, I just hate some of the roster choices and cuts.

I don't like how the Ice Climbers are cut. At all.

The 3DS version feels a bit half-assed to me but Idk i've only played the demo so yeah.

I'm going into this rather blindly because I can't play the demo or anything, so I have to wait until the 19th to actually get a hands-on try.

But anyways, ripping off Gamefreak, I'll start with the cons and widely agree that it's sad and upsetting seeing the Ice Climbers and Lucas cut. I never mained either of them but the Ice Climbers had become such a staple since Melee and it's going to be so weird seeing them gone. And Lucas was just a great touch for a series that deserved as much representation as it could get. I'm also upset about losing Wolf, Snake, and Pokemon Trainer/Squirtle/Ivysaur, since I used those characters regularly and I always found Wolf and Snake great fun to play. I am really, really hoping that we can at least see some of them come back very soon.

The other con is the inclusion of Dark Pit and the bias for Kid Icarus in general. I understand Uprising is considered a great game for the 3DS but it makes little to no logical sense as to why it gets so much representation yet an on-going, best-selling series like Donkey Kong continues to receive nothing. I think Palutena is a great choice for a newcomer and I would be more surprised if she hadn't been included, but... Dark Pit? Really? Why? So many people wanted Samurai Goroh to represent the F-Zero series, but instead we get Dark Pit for Kid Icarus? In that case, let's make Blood Falcon his own character. Just something. Please.

I'm kinda moving into pros now but there may be a few negative things here and there.

First off, I am in love with the rest of the roster. I did want Ridley and Mewtwo back, but I'm not all that disappointed that they were left off (if anything, the only thing that disappoints me is that they were passed up for Dark Pit). I think having Dr. Mario back is actually pretty great, Rosalina and Luma seem very interesting, Bowser Jr. is an interesting idea with the Clown Car, I am absolutely madly excited for Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Duck Hunt Dog, and I'm really looking forward to trying out Greninja, along with the other newcomers. Oh, and Lucina is my waifu.

The stages are a little... eh. I think it's great having returning stages, but it's really unfortunate seeing stages that have already returned... and I am really upset seeing Mushroomy Kingdom come back, honestly. But I do really enjoy all the new stages that I've seen, and Magicant is honestly my favorite stage in the game. Earthbound is one of my favorite games (I've never played Mother) so this stage is an absolute treat and it's godly. The moment I saw the rifts in the background with the scenes from those two games, I knew it was my home. Forever. Also, I love the F-Zero stage and honestly I can't wait to try the Mario stages, especially the Paper Mario stage.

So far, I've really enjoyed the music. I listened to some of it this morning and it is so weird hearing Rogueport after all these years. But the MM2 medley is probably my favorite track from this game right now, at least new track. I really enjoy the tracks on the Pac-Man stage, and Live & Learn is a great returning track.

I am really looking forward to trying out Classic Mode, it looked really neat in the streams. I never saw any stream of Smash Run so I don't know how it really looks in real-time, but I'm pretty interested in giving it a try. And I really want to see the new Assist Trophys and Pokemon in this game.

I am hoping that DLC becomes a thing, even though it'd be unfortunate having to pay extra, so hopefully some of it will be free. If not, I don't have a problem with the connectivity thing between the two since I plan on getting both versions anyways, but DLC does seem like the best option for everyone to ensure people who may not have one of the systems.

Overall, I honestly think this may be my favorite Smash so far, at least until the Wii U version comes out, maybe. But I cannot wait for this game to come out. I will have no damn life.

GalacticPetey said:
I'm really torn.

...yeah...

The roster had a lot of promise at first, but near the end with Dr. Mario's return and Duck Hunt Dog while other characters like K. Rool were given the shaft. Still, we got many characters we wanted like Mega Man, some surprises, like Rosalina, and making previous characters who shared the same character spot their own separate character was a nice little touch. And I liked some of the changes made to old characters like Zelda summoning the Phantom Knights, or Luigi's vacuum.

I like the new twist on Classic Mode giving you some choice of which opponent you fight.

Overall, the roster could've been better, but the game as a whole seems pretty good. I may have more thoughts once I've played it myself.

I won't say that the game looks bad because that's obviously not the case, but:

-I'm mad about Lucas, Ice Climbers and Wolf being cut.
-I'm ridiculously mad about Mewtwo not returning.
-I'm RAGING about Dr. Mario returning and Dark Pit and Lucina being clones.

That's it.

FUCK YOU Sakurai.

Anser said:
I won't say that the game looks bad because that's obviously not the case, but:

-I'm mad about Lucas, Ice Climbers and Wolf being cut.
-I'm ridiculously mad about Mewtwo not returning.
-I'm RAGING about Dr. Mario returning and Dark Pit and Lucina being clones.

That's it.

FUCK YOU Sakurai.

Anser, please. You're starting to sound like a lot of the little kids on Miiverse.

faq u sakuraii u didnt mek gaem how i wuntid it i reiterate faaaaaaaq uuuuuuuuuu :mad: >:[[ (p.s. fuq ur mom 2!111111111111111111)

anyways roster is pretty good, there's a couple of characters in that I don't want to be in but there's definitely WAAAAAAAAAAAY more good than bad. the stage selection is.....dumbish. there's some good stages in but I mean really why the fuck are so many stages being reused to represent their respective franchises instead of some brand new stages? they could've at least used ones that weren't already reused in Brawl. Character customaztion (sp?) looks cool and i'm sure i'll have a blast with that though I think it's dumb that moves have to be unlocked but w/e. Smash Run looks like it'll be interesting. oh yeah and the music is gr8 (SMB3 melody ftw). also the amount of Kid Icarus uprising content is silly.

so yeah ultimately this game does look like it'll have some flaws, especially the stupid stage thing, however i'll most likely still have alot of fun with it.

I'm actually okay with the roster, although the only mighty bothering thing I have is the lack of Ice Climbers. Either way, Dr. Mario's return is great, Mario feels great, and other things.

+Launch noises from Melee return. They made the game funny.
+CPUs are much more fair.
+Game looks gorgeous
+Cotton Candy Mario recolor.
+Mario has new animations. He looks cooler when he grabs someone, and he also has this silly dash attack animation while holding a swinging item.
+Results screen makes your character a badass.
+Mario feels so much better than Brawl. He was a weakling in Brawl. He seems much stronger, and his f-air seems to come out faster. I don't know, he's bigger, faster, and stronger, too!
+The game feels less floaty than Brawl. I feel the fast-falling is much more fluid now. Overall, the game feels more fluid.
+Neat launch effects.

oSmash Run is local only? Well, anything online-related Nintendo touches turns to crap (and I exactly know why) so it's not a huge loss.
oPercentages are much harder to monitor since it's on the bottom screen, but I think it's an understandable change.
oWhat the the hell do these items do!?

-Mushroomy Kingdom returns, and an unnecessary stage, Golden Plains, bloat the Mario stage count to 5.
-Reused voices for Mario, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Luigi, Peach.... say what you want about Mario favoritism, but this is not favoritism. Especially how Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Diddy Kong do NOT deserve such awful voices from Brawl.
-Upper blast line mechanics; why do they blast KO usually now? Star and Screen KOs were implemented for additional variety, comedic factor, and satisfaction for KOing through that method. They also made sense. Adding typical blast KOs is really lame. I'd understand blast KOs for Multiman and Team *character* battles for speeding up fights, but in normal battles, this doesn't make any sense.
-FLUDD still sucks.
-Fricken Mario Finale still feels like balls.

BIG MINUS: Why is grabbing and shielding reversed!? You grab with L and shield with R!!! WTF!? To put that in context, with a GCN controller, I grab with Z, on the right hand side, and shield with L.

So the bulk of my complaints don't really stem from the roster...

Dr. Mario said:
BIG MINUS: Why is grabbing and shielding reversed!? You grab with L and shield with R!!! WTF!? To put that in context, with a GCN controller, I grab with Z, on the right hand side, and shield with L.
I'm almost positive we'll be able to change that in the full release. Same goes for turning off the up tap jump.

ThreeThousand said:
Dr. Mario said:
I'm almost positive we'll be able to change that in the full release. Same goes for turning off the up tap jump.
I hope that will be the case, but the default should've been R - Grab and L - Shield. Most of y'all shield with L (assuming you're using GCN controller), right? Up tap jump doesn't bother me, but I think I'll highly benefit if that's turn off as well.

Oh yeah, some more thoughts, I don't know why Brinstar, Jungle Japes, and Corneria must return. Budget constraints and not enough time and resources to create new stages, sure, but that's still a horrible excuse since the team behind Smash Bros. surely has the time and money to... I don't know... port other stages like Hyrule Castle and Mute City.

Can we please change the thread title to say Smash 4 for 3DS, because I'm sure that there will be a ton of different thoughts for the Wii U version, such as the stages.

And I think that the 3DS will be okay. Right now Brawl is still my favorite, since while Smash 4 does have better gameplay, the stages are very lacking as well as the game modes in general.

Henry said:
Can we please change the thread title to say Smash 4 for 3DS, because I'm sure that there will be a ton of different thoughts for the Wii U version, such as the stages.

And I think that the 3DS will be okay. Right now Brawl is still my favorite, since while Smash 4 does have better gameplay, the stages are very lacking as well as the game modes in general.
I think the 3DS provides a better idea of how the game feels, and since it and its demo are nearing release, it's the more immediate impression to get a hold of.

It's not like Brawl's stages are spectacular. Brawl had a huge amount of disasters in the form of stages: *cough cough* 75m Mario Bros. Spear Pillar Hanenbow New Pork City and so on.

Gamefreak copied my format for something not long ago, I get to copy his. :wario:

Cons

-Seeing Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Lucas get the axe is very disappointing (even though I didn't care a huge amount about the latter).

-I honestly don't think Dr. Mario needed to return. Congrats to the people that wanted him back, but I personally would have picked someone other than a character who's just another character in a different outfit for a (semi-)clone. Plus I don't think any series should have seven characters right now.

-Dark Pit exists.

-Mewtwo is still absent. I don't really care about him personally, but given that's he's one of the more legendary ( :yoshi: ) Pokemon out there I think he should have returned.

-Metroid and DK definitely got underrepresented here. They didn't even get new stages on the 3DS version.

-A lot of franchises didn't get a new stage on the 3DS version, in fact, just returning stages. Hopefully this won't be the case in the Wii U version.

Pros

-All of the unique characters are good choices, even the ones I personally don't like/care about. Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, and Shulk all give representation to some pretty notable franchises; Mega Man and Pac-Man are video game legends; Rosalina and Bowser Jr. are pretty important Mario characters; Greninja gives Pokemon another generation to represent; Robin gives Fire Emblem a character that doesn't primarily use a sword; Palutena is a major character from a series that got a successful revival; Duck Hunt is one of the most successful NES titles; and the Miis have become really important to Nintendo in recent years.

-Smash Run is a really cool addition.

-Classic Mode looks great this time.

-New stages seem decent overall. Especially liking Mute City, Magicant, and Paper Mario.

-Incredibly thrilled Lucario and Ike made the cut.

-Item, Assist Trophy, and Pokemon selections are all good.

-I've managed to hear some of the new music and it's pretty good.

-Game itself looks great visually.

May be forgetting some things. Game definitely has its flaws, but no game is perfect. I think the game's turning out nicely overall and I'm hoping I can get a copy day one.

Dr. Mario said:
ThreeThousand said:
Dr. Mario said:
I hope that will be the case, but the default should've been R - Grab and L - Shield. Most of y'all shield with L (assuming you're using GCN controller), right? Up tap jump doesn't bother me, but I think I'll highly benefit if that's turn off as well.
Not really, I use L to grab in brawl, but whenever I have default settings, I still do R for Sheild. So I'm fine with the 3DS Controls.

Dr. Mario said:
Henry said:

I think the 3DS provides a better idea of how the game feels, and since it and its demo are nearing release, it's the more immediate impression to get a hold of.

It's not like Brawl's stages are spectacular. Brawl had a huge amount of disasters in the form of stages: *cough cough* 75m Mario Bros. Spear Pillar Hanenbow New Pork City and so on.
Yeah, and most of Smash 3DS's stages seem like winners. The lack of new stages for some franchises is disappointing, but at least they chose good retro stages for them.

I'll have a full impression on this game later, but I'm too tired now.

ThreeThousand said:
Dr. Mario said:
i really hope so cause it jsut feels so weird pressing the L button to grab though but i really wish there was an extra button like Z cause im one of those people who uses both L and R to shield/sidestep/air dodge depending on the situation and where my fingers are

Back