Is Paper Mario: Sticker Star really a bad game?

Is it?

• Total voters

Lumastar

Stay off this text, jerks! He has personal issues.
Let's settle the debate once and for all. Please comment on which option you chose.

People say it's bad like Metroid Other M and Mega Man X7. That's all I ever hear about it.

The sticker system is a tedious trial-and-error game, the animation is far less fluid (I assume they want to make it even more papery), and then there's the more stylistic criticisms (way shorter playtime, far too based on the main platformers for worlds/enemies, short on plot/new characters, no partners).

Is Sticker Star a bad game? Yes, it is. I'm sure I've already explained why many, many times, but I'll do it again. Almost everything that made the Paper Mario series so legendary in the first place, ranging from its gameplay, the unique, story-driven plots, original characters, etc. ended up getting thrown out the window. Adding insult to injury, this was done after the game had originally presented itself as a glorious return to the series' roots. In short, the game was little more than a giant, blatant middle finger to the fans, and deserves any and all backlash that it got, and still continues to get to this day. Keep in mind, I'm saying this as someone who thoroughly enjoyed Super Paper Mario.

Taken as its own thing its not bad, its just mediocre.

Yes, Sticker Star is a bad game.

Though I will give Nintendo props for trying something unique, the consummables-based combat system was terribly executed and felt tacked-on. The lack of FP or a partner/pixl system was a big blow, since it limited your strategy to "man I hope I have a good sticker for the next battle!" And while I'm not as beat up over the story as many on this forum, (I mean this is a Nintendo game after all, what did you expect?) I too was somewhat disappointed the devs went a "safer" route with it.

Yeah its as bad as Mega Man X7/Rockman X7 and Mega Man X6/Rockman X6. I mean Mega Man X8 was good and I like it.

I have not played the game but I voted no because from what I've seen of it, it isn't that bad.

I used to say it's god-awfully terribad, but I've warmed up to it a little and think it's just extremely mediocre. I'm on my second (third? Not sure if I beat it that second time) playthrough of it right now. I'm still pissed that after the story got consistently better every game they just put no effort into this one.
3D Player 2004 said:
I have not played the game but I voted no because from what I've seen of it, it isn't that bad.
Coming from the person who says he hates all the GOOD RPG's this is a little unsettling.

That One Weird Dude Who Plays Mario And Eats Burgers All Day said:
I used to say it's god-awfully terribad, but I've warmed up to it a little and think it's just extremely mediocre. I'm on my second (third? Not sure if I beat it that second time) playthrough of it right now. I'm still pissed that after the story got consistently better every game they just put no effort into this one.
3D Player 2004 said:
Coming from the person who says he hates all the GOOD RPG's this is a little unsettling.
Paper Mario: Sicker Star has fewer flaws than the other Paper Mario games:
1. Lack of Inventory Space
2. Stickers are one use only
I can't think of another Mario RPG with only 2 or less flaws.

3D Player 2004 said:
3D Player 2004 said:
How are the other games flawed?

Azusa Nakano said:
3D Player 2004 said:
3D Player 2004 said:
How are the other games flawed?
Super Paper Mario:
Trial and Error recipees.
Bad storyline.
Requires a lot of level grinding.

3D Player 2004 said:
3. Bad, nonexistent story
4. Only one original character
5. No real partners
6. No standard attacks other than stickers
7. No experience
8. Bosses are either too easy or too hard depending on what sticker you have
9. Barely any side content
10. Lack of original world themes

All those are problems the other RPGs don't have.

Super Paper Mario requires level grinding????? Are you HIGH???

SPM is one of the easiest games in the series!!

Battles with limited amount of stickers, no experience point, no partners, bad plot.

-> No buy.

I mean SPM is so piss easy like Castlevania Symphony of the Night on the PlayStation.

castlevsotnCaseF.jpg

and

pwwnd, did you ever consider the possibility that people I don't know, HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAMES YOU KEEP MENTIONING IN YOUR COMPARISONS THUS MAKING THE COMPARISONS POINTLESS!?!?

STOP MENTIONING GAMES THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FUCKING TOPIC

Pwwnd123 said:
I mean SPM is so piss easy like Castlevania Symphony of the Night on the PlayStation.

castlevsotnCaseF.jpg

and

i'm honestly starting to think you work for konami and came here to get some cheap product placement

could just be my conspiracy detection gland acting up again, though

Sticker Star is easily the worst RPG I've ever played by far. It sucks.

Everyone says it sucks like Castlevania Lament of Innocence right?

No, it doesn't suck. It's reminiscent of old-school games that thrust you into the game world with little or no guidance as to how to progress. If you enjoy really linear games, this isn't for you.

A couple months ago, I decided to sit myself down and finish the game. Sadly, I can honestly say that most of the time I felt like I was forcing myself to beat it. Now don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed World 3, World 4-3, and some of World 5. However, the few enjoyable moments in the game doesn't save it from the glaring flaws that it has. The flaws of Paper Mario: Sticker Star will obviously vary from person to person, but I think there is one thing that almost everyone can agree on... The battle system is pointless.

I liked it. I didn't mind that the game had no story, partners, or the other Paper Mario characters.

Back