What's the worst book you've ever read?

yoshidude99

Yoshidude is here
Mine is Wormwood by G.P. Taylor. The plot is confusing, it's not really clear what the characters motivation's are and what they are trying to do and the whole book is just a mess. I stuck with it thinking it might become clearer what the characters were doing but it didn't. The book was a waste of my time and I'm just glad I didn't pay for it(school library).

So as the title says What's the worst book you've ever read?

It's either Things Fall Apart, Let the Great World Spin, or The Great Gatsby.

Viridi said:

What's wrong with TFA? It told its story better than The Poisonwood Bible (pretty much the same thing but from the opposite perspective).

For all I have read, The Jungle by Upton Sinclair was pretty long and boring. Pride and Prejudice also kind of bored me until I understood it better, although I don't like it that much.

Mario4Ever said:
Viridi said:
What's wrong with TFA? It told its story better than The Poisonwood Bible (pretty much the same thing but from the opposite perspective).
I couldn't find myself interested with Okonkwo at all, and much of the book wasn't even about conflict between settlers and natives but only followed random stuff about Okonkwo. The only segment I really thought was good was the part with the church that showed up and was nice at first but then they had a new preacher who ruined everything. That was interesting.

As for The Poisonwood Bible I haven't gotten around to reading it yet but I've heard it's good so shhh no spoilers.

Viridi said:
As for The Poisonwood Bible I haven't gotten around to reading it yet but I've heard it's good so shhh no spoilers.

I thought it was terrible, but then I liked TFA so you might like TPB.

I once read a book called Space Trap for school and I hated it. I also loathed this book called Bye, Bye, Bailey-Kai (dunno if that's the right spelling but w/e).

More recently, I read a book about Richard III getting brought into the 21st Century (This Time) - it was such a zany concept, but the book's terrible, and the sequel (Loyalty Binds Me) was even worse. The first one was so bad it was funny at times, but I had to only skim the second one: I just couldn't justify sitting down and wasting my time actually reading it in full.

I know it's a classic and all, but I found Lord of the Flies to be really boring. I didn't hate it. It was just boring.

Yoshidude99 said:
Mine is Wormwood by G.P. Taylor. The plot is confusing, it's not really clear what the characters motivation's are and what they are trying to do and the whole book is just a mess. I stuck with it thinking it might become clearer what the characters were doing but it didn't. The book was a waste of my time and I'm just glad I didn't pay for it(school library).

So as the title says What's the worst book you've ever read?
I actually read Wormwood. Like, it is all Christian Fantasy, which is a weird genre in itself, and totally not my thing.

Lord Bowser said:
The Pearl by John Steinbeck

short (90 pages) but incredibly boring
I had to read for an English assignment last year: felt like hell
I have read a couple of Steinbeck books, and The Pearl is the only one I did not like. It really does not deserve the award it got. Should have been given to some other of his work.

GalacticPetey said:
I know it's a classic and all, but I found Lord of the Flies to be really boring. I didn't hate it. It was just boring.
Completely disagree. Lord of the Flies was FANTASTIC.

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand pissed me right the fuck off, especially when at the end it

suddenly just fucking stopped the plot and became literally just an Objectivism manifesto without any symbolism or story to even hide it, as if the rest of the book already wasn't.

What's funny was that we had to read this for my debate class back in 12th grade where I'd often play the devil's advocate and argue for things I wouldn't actually be for (banning gay marriage, campaigning for John McCain, etc.) and that gained me a false reputation of being a fiery conservative lol. But the thing was, I vocally hated this book and shat on the plot all the damn time and pointed out all of the horrid misogyny such as

when Roark (the main male character) just goes and rapes the shit out of Dominque (the main female character, vague love interest, caught between 2 men resulting her to drop all of her own thoughts and ideologies to just live with her rapist after her going and marrying the man she actually loved and who allowed her to be herself was portrayed as Literally The Worst thing to ever do). Roark just fucking busts into her house and has his way with her because of what's basically described as she was asking for it because she was beautiful, which Roark and Dominique both acknowledge and are totally cool with.

and lapse in any reason or connection to reality, but all of the bleeding heart liberals in the class were just fucking foaming at the mouth over this book and praising it as if it'll win them a free ticket to Berkeley, unaware that this book as well as the rest of Ayn Rand's are 2nd to The Bible for modern conservatism.

I had to do an assignment in my Creative Writing class one time where the teacher wanted us to improve passages from Twilight. Pretty lulsworthy.

As for the most boring book I've read, it's probably The Great Gatsby. Holy cow do I think it's overrated.

Gatsby's boring. It's short, but its brevity doesn't really allow its characters to be developed.

The funny thing is that back in high school, I read all of The Jungle although we didn't have to while I didn't read all of The Great Gatsby although we had to. I read all of the latter out of boredom during spring break because I didn't return the book to my teacher in time.

Morty said:
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand pissed me right the *bleep* off, especially when at the end it

Ayn Rand is bat---- crazy period. Atlas Shrugged is another beautiful masterpiece by this crazy author.

Lario said:
The funny thing is that back in high school, I read all of The Jungle although we didn't have to while I didn't read all of The Great Gatsby although we had to. I read all of the latter out of boredom during spring break because I didn't return the book to my teacher in time.

I actually sorta liked The Jungle. I don't remember its details since I read it long ago but I was able to finish it. At least I could understand what's going on and what the point the author want to convey. I have no idea what's going on in the Great Gatsby or why it needed to exist or why should I know that story.

The Scarlet Letter

Lost interest in it within a few pages. The thing was so hard to understand.

It was a school assignment, unfortunately. It's probably partially the reason I flunked AP English class, but got a 4 on the AP test.

Maᴙio said:
The Scarlet Letter

oh this one too

i just love books that spend multiple pages describing a forest instead of having stuff actually happen

Viridi said:
Maᴙio said:
The Scarlet Letter

oh this one too

i just love books that spend multiple pages describing a forest instead of having stuff actually happen

My sister told me that Victor Hugo's Les Miserables spends like too much pages talking about a damn vine or something.

I think it's before the time where people got paid by the word AND before padding of crap is a bad thing.

The Heart of Darkness was just a bad read for me personally.

Like, it sucked that we had to do it in school and answer questions and stuff and it made no sense. Like, it just did not keep my focus and everything was so confusing on what was going on and the questions seemed to ask about stuff that was happening but were so out of context to the wording in the book that it was nearly impossible to figure out.

Ugh...

House of Seven Gables. Written by the same guy as the Scarlett Letter, which I fortunately never read. Also, I hated The Hobbit.

On the subject of Things Fall Apart, my father said he looked at Okonkwo as a role model, which scares me.

Not BMB said:
The Heart of Darkness was just a bad read for me personally.

Like, it sucked that we had to do it in school and answer questions and stuff and it made no sense. Like, it just did not keep my focus and everything was so confusing on what was going on and the questions seemed to ask about stuff that was happening but were so out of context to the wording in the book that it was nearly impossible to figure out.

Ugh...
I read that too. It was very underwhelming.

The best part was that I did it as part of a project comparing it to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and King Lear, so I made my project all about insanity and the juxtaposition of showing that in the literature with humour and/or horror: the essay was called "Marlow in Wonderland", and for the visual component, I painted King Lear wearing the mad hatter's hat and sailing down the river on the paddle boat surrounded by giant Wonderland things - but primarily the hookah-smoking caterpillar atop a Super Mushroom. It was actually pretty fun - and I got an A+ for it.

The Great Gatsby was pretty meh.

There was this book based on Charles Dickens's Great Expectations, I forgot what it was called, but...

in the end some dumbshit's mother and her teacher in some third world country sacrifice themselves (i.e. they get cut up into tiny pieces and fed to wild pigs) because the dumbshit daughter didn't want to give back the Great Expectations book. It was such a shitty book to read and it really pissed me off.

I know I'm going to get shit for this too, but I found Ender's Game pretty boring too. Not to worst, but it bored me.

No-Face said:
House of Seven Gables. Written by the same guy as the Scarlett Letter, which I fortunately never read. Also, I hated The Hobbit.

On the subject of Things Fall Apart, my father said he looked at Okonkwo as a role model, which scares me.

I didn't hate The Hobbit, but when I read it for school, I fell asleep. I literally would be like in a middle of a page and then I'll wake up with my thumb still on the page I left off.

It was a great way to fall asleep for me.

Back