Mario Tennis Wii U Thoughts

MnSG

Cosmic Beauty
I've been thinking about how the next Mario Tennis title should work out. Here are some of my inputs...

Roster

Starters
Mario (All-Around)
Luigi (All-Around)
Yoshi (All-Around)
Birdo (All-Around)
Peach (Technical)
Daisy (Technical)
Toad (Technical)
Koopa (Speedy)
Diddy Kong (Speedy)
Bowser Jr. (Speedy)
Wario (Powerful)
Donkey Kong (Powerful)
Bowser (Powerful)
Waluigi (Defensive)
Blooper (Defensive)
Boo (Tricky)
Mii (Varies)

Unlockables
Ludwig (All-Around)
Larry (Technical)
Wendy (Technical)
Toadette (Speedy)
Iggy (Speedy)
Petey Piranha (Powerful)
Roy (Powerful)
Wiggler (Defensive)
Dry Bowser (Defensive)
Morton (Defensive)
Magikoopa (Tricky)
Dry Bones (Tricky)
Lemmy (Tricky)
Rosalina (Tricky)

Palette Swap Unlockables
Red Yoshi (All-Around)
Blue Yoshi (Technical)
Yellow Yoshi (Powerful)
Light Blue Yoshi (Speedy)
Pink Yoshi (Speedy)
Black Yoshi (All-Around)
White Yoshi (Tricky)
Metal Mario (Powerful)
Pink Gold Peach (Technical)
Cosmic Spirit (Tricky)

Stats
ijmUioW.png

Tournament Mode

Much like in Mario Tennis Open, there are 8 cups total. However, there is one major difference for these tournaments in that the winner gets to play against the tournament's defending champion. The defending champion will always be an unlockable character if the cup hasn't been completed yet. If the champion is defeated, the player wins the cup, unlocks the defending champion for playable usage, and advances to the next cup. As for the cups...

World Open
*Mushroom Cup
*Flower Cup
*Star Cup
*Crown Cup

Star Open
*Rainbow Cup
*Moonlight Cup
*Planet Cup
*Galaxy Cup

In terms of the defending champions...

World Open Singles
*Mushroom Cup: Toadette (Random Yoshi color if Toadette is unlocked in the Mushroom Cup Doubles)
*Flower Cup: Magikoopa (Random Yoshi color if Magikoopa is unlocked in the Flower Cup Doubles)
*Star Cup: Wiggler
*Crown Cup: Petey Piranha

World Open Doubles
*Mushroom Cup: Toadette (Random Yoshi color if Toadette is unlocked in the Mushroom Cup Singles) + Random Yoshi color
*Flower Cup: Magikoopa (Random Yoshi color if Magikoopa is unlocked in the Flower Cup Singles) + Dry Bones
*Star Cup: Larry + Wendy
*Crown Cup: Ludwig + Iggy

Star Open Singles
*Rainbow Cup: Lemmy (Random Yoshi color if Lemmy is unlocked in the Rainbow Cup Doubles)
*Moonlight Cup: Dry Bowser
*Planet Cup: Metal Mario (Random Yoshi color if Metal Mario is unlocked in the Planet Cup Doubles)
*Galaxy Cup: Rosalina (Cosmic Spirit if the player is playing as Rosalina)

Star Open Doubles
*Rainbow Cup: Lemmy (Random Yoshi color if Lemmy is unlocked in the Rainbow Cup Singles) + Random Yoshi color
*Moonlight Cup: Roy + Morton
*Planet Cup: Metal Mario (Random Yoshi color if Metal Mario is unlocked in the Planet Cup Singles) + Pink Gold Peach
*Galaxy Cup: Rosalina (Cosmic Spirit if the player is playing as Rosalina) + Random Yoshi color

When the defending champion is defeated, the next time you participate in that same tournament, the defending champion will be completely random. Additionally, any defending champions that you've unlocked will also start appearing as random opponents in tournaments.

However, there is an exception to this rule, regarding Rosalina. Unlike the other playable characters, Rosalina will "always" be the defending champion for the Galaxy Cup, regardless of whether or not you've unlocked her. Additionally, Rosalina will never appear as a random opponent in any of the cups, and she ONLY appears as the defending champion for the Galaxy Cup; she'll never appear as the defending champion for the other cups. If the player is playing as Rosalina, however, the defending champion for the Galaxy Cup will always be the Cosmic Spirit instead (this will also be the only way to unlock the Cosmic Spirit, as she too never appears randomly). The reasoning for this is because Rosalina has a higher stat total than all the other playable characters (28, instead of 24).

Other Features

*Online game play. You can either play singles matches or doubles matches with another player.
*Ranking system that keeps track of your overall online wins and losses.
*Custom tournaments.
*Stamps for Miiverse usage.
*Mario Power Tennis's Power Shots return.
*Mario Kart TV features are implemented.

Feel free to share your thoughts on all of this if you like.

I want one like Tennis 64.

The roster is too big.
Yoshi and Birdo would be speedy.
Blooper would be tricky because the power shot of Blooper in Tennis Open curves the ball.
Koopalings are unlikely to happen, but if that's the case then it might end like Mario Kart 8 roster.
Cosmic Spirit is unlikely to happen.
All the rest is good.

Cirdec said:
The roster is too big.

That's a bad thing....how???

Sure it's filled with crud like rotting Skittles in character form but more choices are always better.

The roster needs more Baby Mario and that guy who has yet to appear playable in a Mario Tennis game who happens to be Baby Mario's partner who is only seen as a cameo in Mario Power Tennis and Baby Peach got over him for some dumbass reason.

Baby Luigi said:
Cirdec said:
The roster is too big.

That's a bad thing....how???

Sure it's filled with crud like rotting Skittles in character form but more choices are always better.

The roster needs more Baby Mario and that guy who has yet to appear playable in a Mario Tennis game who happens to be Baby Mario's partner who is only seen as a cameo in Mario Power Tennis and Baby Peach got over him for some dumbass reason.

I never said it's a bad thing, but 41 characters is not going to happen.

You're right; Camelot usually makes awful character decisions anyway so I shouldn't expect much from them. yes I'm still bitter about their decisions in Mario Tennis Open 'cause every time I have to play that game I have to see that Baby Peach got in before Baby Luigi.

Every character should have an aesthetic-only palette swap. Palette swaps in general waste too much space (Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach can be separate characters, though).

Plessie would be too easy to peg with a tennis ball

For the love of *bleep*, don't let the Koopalings add all that dead weight to the roster.

Magikrazy said:
Vommack said:
For the love of *bleep*, don't let the Koopalings add all that dead weight to the roster.
Yeah, boo Koopalings! We don't want a big roster! :P
The Koopalings can be DLC or something, that's seven *bleep*ing slots wasted on pallet swaps.

Vommack said:
Magikrazy said:
Vommack said:
Yeah, boo Koopalings! We don't want a big roster! :P
The Koopalings can be DLC or something, that's seven *bleep*ing slots wasted on pallet swaps.

It's better than the seven slots wasted on literal palette swaps in Mario Tennis Open

I want a big roster, but I don't want a huge percentage of that roster to be one character type. It's not that I hate the Koopalings, I don't. It's just that they take way too much room on a roster, period. It's like if Smash Bros had a roster that had 7 reps from one series and all of them had swords and barely differed from one another. There's other much more unique characters to be had. Like Nabbit, Plessie, E. Gadd, Kamek, Sprixie, Lubba, and Motely.

It would be...cool?...I guess for Motley to turn into that boss blob thing for a power shot and defense shot

Back