Next Paper Mario game (Likely on Wii U)

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
What are your hopes and predictions for this, should it become a thing (which it probably will)?

I both hope for and predict a return to the original formula of 64 and TTYD, with leveling up based on Star Points, turn-based combat, badges, and partners. Although I can see it taking some elements from Super Paper Mario, such as having two partners out at once (the tattle partner and one other) and I'd expect it to visually look like the artwork of Paper Mario: Sticker Star, with HD paper textures pieced together into characters.

What do you want to see in a new Paper Mario game? I'd like to see Wario and Waluigi appear in it somehow, but I know the chances of that are slim. Most importantly, however, I want original characters and a decent story. Seriously. Miyamoto, learn from your previous mistakes and don't make them again.

Despite the Year of Luigi being over, I want a Paper Luigi: The Waffle Kingdom covering Luigi's adventure during TTYD.

Believe me, I'd love for the series go back to its roots and have the same charm as the first three, but after the wounds that were caused by Sticker Star (and reopened towards the end of Dream Team), I'll be keeping my expectations low this time around.

If we ever see an original paper Mario style game. I hope for it being like 10 chapters! Also have like The Pit of 200 Trials and some new things. Also even though some people complained about recolored copies of enemies, I liked them, it was interesting. Bring back Clefts, Wizzerds, Koopa Strikers, Gloombas, X-Nauts (do what was done for Shroobs in M&L:BiS), Yuxs, Koopatrols, Spinias/Spanias, Dayzees. I would like to see references from old PM games like use that unused robot from TTYD, reference Bobbery's past with his beta design. I have so many ideas.

Returning to 64 and TTYD formula would be great. Chain Chomp partner was a good idea.
Though still no info about a new one may mean they are forgetting these series.

Cirdec said:

It's only been two years...

Not to mention Intelligent Systems is currently working on two other projects as it is...

Cirdec said:
Toa 95 said:
Cirdec said:

It's only been two years...

And nothing at E3.

And I just edited my post as this got posted...

If they showed anything at all at this point, it'd probably be less developed than Yarn Yoshi was initially.

Plus they started development for Sticker Star two years and a bit after Super Paper Mario, and it's been less than a year so far. Announcing a fifth game right now would be extremely improbable and while I don't really want to hope for anything big, I still hope they really polish the next game this time though, if they make it at all.

Icemario said:
Plus they started development for Sticker Star two years and a bit after Super Paper Mario, and it's been less than a year so far.
It's been over a year. In fact, it's been almost two, since Sticker Star was released in November 2012. As early as that may still seem, Super Paper Mario was shown at E3 two years after Thousand-Year came out.

SolarBlaze said:
Icemario said:
Plus they started development for Sticker Star two years and a bit after Super Paper Mario, and it's been less than a year so far.
It's been over a year. In fact, it's been almost two, since Sticker Star was released in November 2012. As early as that may still seem, Super Paper Mario was shown at E3 two years after Thousand-Year came out.

Whoops, I meant less than two years there.

SolarBlaze said:
Icemario said:

Well then, maybe we'll see a trailer for it this holiday season. Mario Party 10 and Mario Maker were like the only Mario games announced (well, Captain Toad too, but...) so I do think that they have some Mario games that they are waiting to share.

But also remember that it took 6 years btw SPM and PM:SS, so it might be awhile before they make another Paper Mario. Of course, I highly expect it to be on the Wii U. I definitely think a battle system would be in order, and it would use the GamePad. My fear is that they'll use the GamePad for overworld adventuring and it might end up being like the Stickers and being a flop. Let's hope not, but like SolarBlaze said, it's going to be hard to trust them again after Sticker Star.

One thing I want is the return of Partners from PM and TTYD. SPM I believe they went with the Pixel Partners who didn't really talk and stuff because the main focus was the Four Heroes in the game. Hopefully we'll get partners like a Toad, a Chain Chomp, and Shy Guy, and Blooper, etc. And I definitely hope for a 3D world and the battle system like the original 2 games.

It should be the return of Thousand Year Door/original style and forget the mistake that was Sticker Star

Shy Guy Forever said:
Baby Luigi said:
It should be the return of Thousand Year Door/original style and forget the mistake that was Sticker Star
Something about stamps is more likely.

Hardly, just because Sticker Star used stickers doesn't mean there's going to be another theme like it in the assumed next game; most of the games in the series didn't have much of a theme besides the paper elements.

Icemario said:
Shy Guy Forever said:
Baby Luigi said:

Hardly, just because Sticker Star used stickers doesn't mean there's going to be another theme like it in the assumed next game; most of the games in the series didn't have much of a theme besides the paper elements.
I know, but you shouldn't give your hopes up.

Shy Guy Forever said:
Baby Luigi said:

I do see some Stamps being incorporated in the game, but like for posting on Miiverse, just like how MK8 and SM3DW have stamps. I don't feel like it's going to be a gimmick though for the game.

Shy Guy Forever said:
Icemario said:
Shy Guy Forever said:
Baby Luigi said:

I know, but you shouldn't give your hopes up.
It's not me who's getting their hopes up, though what BMB said is definitely possible.

Icemario said:
Shy Guy Forever said:
Baby Luigi said:

*Cough* Mario Party 10 car returning *cough*

Cirdec said:
Icemario said:
Shy Guy Forever said:
Baby Luigi said:

*Cough* Mario Party 10 car returning *cough*

The problem with that reasoning is the makers of Mario Party 9, IT, and 10 aren't the makers of the Paper Mario Series. We can't use the behaviour patterns of one organization to predict those of another.

I found a fan-made boxart for Paper Mario U. I don't know who made it, but it looks like Sticker Star, which is not a good sign.
Paper_Mario_U.png

*Obligatory Sticker Star defense left out for your convenience*

I love the quotes on the back.

'Enjoy the "stache"'

Hehehehehehehe

'Play with your friends'

Hehehehehehehe

Good marketing, it caters to my interests perfectly: terrible puns and mild sexual innuendo.

Back