Miyamoto in 1999: "Mario will be more grown-up"

but yeah, notice how miyamoto plans to get rid of the "cutesy image", and then the exact opposite happens once iwata becomes ceo

Adapting a family-friendly franchise to a much more mature audience almost never goes well. I should know, I'm a Sonic fan :P

Sega started adding more dark and edgy things starting from Sonic Adventure (Flashbacks implied the death of many echidnas, and also the destruction of Station Square from Perfect Chaos. And the destruction escalated rather quickly while there will still many people on the streets. As much as the 4kids dub for the Sonic X episodes based around the first Sonic Adventure wants to make you believe somehow everyone managed to evacuate, there's no way everyone in Station Square survived Perfect Chaos) which came out the same year as Miyamoto's quote. And the entire thing about Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2 and onward.

And look what we have now:

tumblr_n10ciqhZ9C1swll5zo2_500.jpg

tumblr_n10cm9hOks1swll5zo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n10cm9hOks1swll5zo2_500.jpg

tumblr_n168t5w9pf1swll5zo2_500.jpg

tumblr_n168t5w9pf1swll5zo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n1dvgifvyx1swll5zo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n1lybnEBs61swll5zo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n1lycmgsOV1swll5zo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n2ctzyqMl91swll5zo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n3f3pqKQE41swll5zo1_500.jpg

Oh and we got two of the worst games in the franchise as a result of Sega trying to be "mature" or "dark and edgy" (Shadow the Hedgehog & Sonic 06)

Granted, I'm sure that if Mario did try to appeal to older audiences. It might of gone a lot better then it did for Sonic. But the Sonic example is how everything can go wrong even if you start out decent enough with the concept. (The adventure games in the Sonic franchise are still fairly beloved, yes they're the ones that basically introduced more dark concepts into the series. And without them. Games like Sonic 06 nor Shadow the Hedgehog would never have existed). But it all really depends on where you put the blame. Is it on the game, and the game's success that how the franchise is where it is now? Or do you blame the people creating the games who get fooled into believing that the more supposedly dark and edgy they make a game. The more successful it will be because "Hey, everyone loved Shadow's tragic backstory in SA2. Let's fuck it up by making it much more convoluted and confusing in a brand, new game! We'll even include guns and evil aliens because Halo is all the rage right now!".

I think for the most part we should be alright that Mario's remained family friendly throughout almost the entire franchise. Fun experimental stuff like Mario Strikers Charged not withstanding. (Though I would like a Wii U Mario Strikers at some point. I want to see Waluigi's Crotch Chop in HD :waluigi:) Considering what happened to Sonic, it might not be worth the risk of trying to make Mario appeal to something outside of all ages.

Or else we get something like this as a Mario spin-off...

wario_and_luigi___bank_heist_by_dmgaina-d4ee9jb.png

well ok to be fair it still looks better then the Shadow the Hedgehog game

Not just the image, but the gameplay itself is more catered towards babbys, now. I absolutely hate the idea of them giving you that invincibility if you die too many time. It's like saying "oh, here's a free pass to win the game because everyones a winner. c:" I really hate that.

Infestissumam said:
Not just the image, but the gameplay itself is more catered towards babbys, now. I absolutely hate the idea of them giving you that invincibility if you die too many time. It's like saying "oh, here's a free pass to win the game because everyones a winner. c:" I really hate that.
It doesn't help in levels where your problem is falling off of cliffs.
It wouldn't be as rewarding to me, though (although Star Coins/Green Stars/Stamps have made hard levels even harder).

Infestissumam said:
I don't like the spoon-feeding either, but it's not forced so, oh well. A waste of time and programming, but that's about it.

I know this technically isn't Mario, but I hated DKCR's Super Guide.

"Having trouble on a level? Then you can have God beat it for you!" (10 Awesome Points for getting that reference)

It's still a nod to those Super Guides. XP

Infestissumam said:
Yeah, Mario games have been much harder. Like some levels in Super Mario Bros. 3 are just torture to complete. Doesn't help that many levels have like one powerup each.

Toothless said:
Infestissumam said:
Yeah, Mario games have been much harder. Like some levels in Super Mario Bros. 3 are just torture to complete. Doesn't help that many levels have like one powerup each.

Either that or you grown up

Nysic said:
I know this technically isn't Mario, but I hated DKCR's Super Guide.

"Having trouble on a level? Then you can have God beat it for you!" (10 Awesome Points for getting that reference)
I still found DKCR pretty hard
the 3ds remake with its ez mode was way more forgiving

Toothless said:
Infestissumam said:
My main pains are in Water Land.

Baby Luigi said:
Toothless said:
Infestissumam said:

Either that or you grown up
Well they are still a pain today.

I like my idea more.
1024x576.resizedimage

Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:
I like my idea more.
1024x576.resizedimage
BRB starting Kickstarter fund, and contacting the relevant companies for rights.

w00t.

be right back, making Legend of Zelda: Modern Warfare.

Weren't they planning that with Luigi's Mansion? You know, how it was aiming for the T rating originally?

Pink Gold Giga12 said:
Weren't they planning that with Luigi's Mansion? You know, how it was aiming for the T rating originally?
I'd love to see the T rating on the box cover of a Mario game. The juxtaposition would be delicious.

Nysic said:
w00t.

be right back, making Legend of Zelda: Modern Warfare.

Yay Jontron!

"Mario City Simulator"
For that, you get a cookie.

Hatsune Loki the 45th Sith Dragon Rider of Bag End said:
Legend of Zelda: Modern Warfare.
I would actually love it if this became a thing
It would be too funny to take it seriously, IMO.

I'd love to see the T rating on the box cover of a Mario game. The juxtaposition would be delicious.

Tratingonedutainment_zps324e2233.png

Back