Nintendo NFC Figurine Game

Baby Luigi said:
Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:
The question: are people tired of this or not?

Nope, this whole figure fad is still highly popular; Activision is still whoring out a yearly Skylanders game
I know, but there are still questions of an oversaturated market.

The sales are still highly strong for this crap so I don't think it's a problem yet

We say that it's crap as well buy all teh mario figurines

Jack McCoy said:
We say that it's crap as well buy all teh mario figurines
The more the Mario/Nintendo character toys, the more Nintendo profits.

Step 1: Mario Kart TV on smartphone
Step 2: Mario/Nintendo Skylanders
Step 3: PROFIT

honestly, i think anyone who saw the little nfc thing the wii u gamepad has should have been able to see this coming. iirc pokemon rumble u used this, so it's not surprising that they're doing it with (an)other franchise(s)

i do think it sounds kinda interesting about how they say "use across multiple games", wonder whether that means "use it for the next entries in the series that we'll definitely make later along the line" or if it's like "you can use these figures for three different games that we'll be releasing all at the same time". i mean, i guess the second is kinda wishful thinking, but it sounds a lot cooler to me than the first. and who knows, maybe they'll even have them compatible across different series

It might not be that bad. Hopefully Nintendo has SOME integrity to not just make 5 billion figures at once. And this was something I think they were always going to do in some degree.

Let's put it this way, if they don't abuse it, I'll be happy to buy them. If they do abuse it, then I won't. Comment with your wallet, right?

Did anyone even say that they were going to make a game like Skylanders or Disney Infinity? They just said they are making these figures. And they work with multiple games. And they can keep save files. That doesn't seem like Skylanders or Disney Infinity. They block access to things and make you buy ALL the toys to get everything.

Purple Yoshi said:
Did anyone even say that they were going to make a game like Skylanders or Disney Infinity? They just said they are making these figures. And they work with multiple games. And they can keep save files. That doesn't seem like Skylanders or Disney Infinity. They block access to things and make you buy ALL the toys to get everything.

My OP quote said "NFP game" if that means anything

Eh... I'll be fine with this idea if it's done under at least one of two conditions:

The figurines are less than $20 each (seriously prime example of how the Australia tax screws us over)
Or maximize compatibility with games, so make figurines compatible with as many games as possible to the point where updates are done to games to make them work with figurines released later, if they really want to go the whole way figurines could even be made to work with Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. 4, essentially one figurine could be used with such games with normally large rosters including Mario Kart, Smash 4, Mario Party, Mario Golf, Mario Strikers, Mario every spinoff you get the idea.

Though it already seems like Nintendo's going with the second point already, the main thing I am concerned about is the price, we can already get extra characters in Mario Golf for $6 with two courses included, so I would expect the figurines to be decently cheap at least compared to Skylanders.

Hotaru Tomoe said:
i do think it sounds kinda interesting about how they say "use across multiple games", wonder whether that means "use it for the next entries in the series that we'll definitely make later along the line" or if it's like "you can use these figures for three different games that we'll be releasing all at the same time". i mean, i guess the second is kinda wishful thinking, but it sounds a lot cooler to me than the first. and who knows, maybe they'll even have them compatible across different series
The way the Mario figurine is presented implies that it's the second (span across simultaneous games), but it could be, again, wishful thinking.

SKmarioman said:
The figurines are less than $20 each (seriously prime example of how the Australia tax screws us over)
Or maximize compatibility with games, so make figurines compatible with as many games as possible to the point where updates are done to games to make them work with figurines released later, if they really want to go the whole way figurines could even be made to work with Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. 4, essentially one figurine could be used with such games with normally large rosters including Mario Kart, Smash 4, Mario Party, Mario Golf, Mario Strikers, Mario every spinoff you get the idea.

Though it already seems like Nintendo's going with the second point already, the main thing I am concerned about is the price, we can already get extra characters in Mario Golf for $6 with two courses included, so I would expect the figurines to be decently cheap at least compared to Skylanders.

Well the overpriced figures are a sole reason I don't like figurine based games. Other than that, it's practically DLC: The game and it feels really cheap to me. Besides i'm already spending my dough on Mario plushies I don't need yet another outlet to spend on

Knowing Australian price gouging, these things will be bloody expensive when they get here.

Back