Super Smash Bros.

User4042

Celestial Guide
Talk about that good ol' original game here.
No matter how quickly I try, I can never get Capt. Falcon.

I like the courses in this game, and the graphics are good for an N64 game.

Super Smash Misty said:
Talk about that good ol' original game here.
No matter how quickly I try, I can never get Capt. Falcon.
He's like, the first character I unlocked.

Shy Guy Forever said:
I like the courses in this game, and the graphics are good for an N64 game.
The graphics are bad for an N64 game. Frame rate is actually decent, but model quality? Um, no. Futhermore, Super Smash Bros. is a low-budget game.

This is the most under-looked game in the Super Smash Bros. series. Shame too because it has the most balance and the best explosion sound effect of any Super Smash Bros. game.

Mario is mid-high tier, after Pikachu, Kirby, Fox, and Captain Falcon. That, I can get my mind around. Mind you, I like Kirby and Fox as well; they're fun to play with.

Super Smash Misty said:
Pikachu is my main in this, along with Brawl (Melee was broken when I got it?
Good for you, Pikachu is top-tier in Super Smash Bros, with no disadvantageous matchups. Pikachu has an amazing recovery and big combo potential. Still, you need to *master* the character first.

Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:
Super Smash Misty said:
Good for you, Pikachu is top-tier in Super Smash Bros, with no disadvantageous matchups. Pikachu has an amazing recovery and big combo potential. Still, you need to *master* the character first.
Pikachu isn't as top-tier as
Meta Knight

Green Donkey Kong is the best alternate color in Super Smash Bros.; he's so awesome that you can't play against him in a free for all battle

Shy Guy Forever said:
Super Smash Misty said:
Meta Knight
This is for the original game, dude.

Super Smash Misty said:
Shy Guy Forever said:
Super Smash Misty said:
Meta Knight
I know, but I am just a HUGE Brawl fan.

Shy Guy Forever said:
Super Smash Misty said:
Shy Guy Forever said:
Super Smash Misty said:
Meta Knight
I know, but I am just a HUGE Brawl fan.

The previous two games are better suited for me. I like Melee more, but that's because there are more options in that game. And besides, how will Meta Knight stand up in Super Smash Bros., with its insane shield stun, hit stun, two grabs, lack of B>< moves, and meteor smashes you can't cancel? We don't know.

Maybe he would be like ness, with his standard special move being his current side move

His b-down wouldn't be there since I'm not sure how it will work in such an old game, so that leaves Mach Tornado his Bv while his B> can be his standard b.

As one of the first games I ever played, Super Smash Bros. will forever remain a nostalgic blessing in my heart.

It's highly nostalgic to me. There was a simplistic charm to it that none of the other games have really managed to capture since. They're all still good, but I liked the cartoony aspects of it, particularly how the artwork in the manual was all comic book-like.

I really like the artwork of this game as well; it does have a charm I'd like to see sometime again. The sound effects in this game are highly nostalgic, and they're also really cartoony. I love it. It's what gotten me into video games. <3

Super Smash Misty said:
I like how it doesn't make the characters "more realistic", unlike the others.
I don't think it was intentional if you're thinking of in-game models because those models are bad, even for N64 capabilities.

Super Smash Misty said:
I like how it doesn't make the characters "more realistic", unlike the others.
I don't think it was intentional if you're thinking of in-game models because those models are bad, even for N64 capabilities.
Artwork.
I unlocked Capt. Falcon

Super Smash Bros. (not counting Super Smash Bros. 4) is the only game that had artwork that isn't a modeled rendered for artwork. I'm serious. If you take a look at character artwork from both Melee and Brawl, they're clearly the same in-game models, but pre-rendered. Well, clearly for me. If you take a close look at Brawl's cover, for instance, you can see where the vertices connect in Mario's mustache, sideburns, and ear. In more scientific terms, you can see the corners. It's not as evident in Pikachu, sure, but my point still stands. In Link, the stitches on his arms are flat, making it look like a texture.

Not that rendering directly on in-game models is bad, but I think it's a substituting style for accuracy (almost literally, lol).

You unlocked Captain Falcon? What's your secret, eh?

Ahem, rambling about character models.

Anyway, is there anyone else who wants the fighting polygons to return? I mean, there is a polygon version for each and every character in that game, so it would be nice if we had something like this here. Kirby might give some grief, but who cares, at least he looks like a cake.

640px-ThePolygons.png

Back