To those who want a SM64 style 3d Mario game...

Watt644

Goomba
http://www.dromble.com/2013/09/21/nintendos-frustrations-with-3d-mario/

This is a very interesting read. It worries me, though.

I really want an old style 3D Mario game. I made a thread about it earlier, asking if people wanted it like the old or like the new.

Super Smash Misty said:
I really want an old style 3D Mario game. I made a thread about it earlier, asking if people wanted it like the old or like the new.
I'm beginning to think we'll never get one, though.

Super Mario 64 DS still remains my all-time favorite 3D Mario platformer game so if they want a game that focuses on collecting items on a non-linear path and the like again, I wouldn't be against it.

I read that a while back. Makes me sad because Mario64-type games are, like, my favourites.

Hopefully A Hat in Time brings it back...

I guess it's not really something I couldn't figure out already just from the games they've been making, but man, that's some real shit. I lost all hope when after months of just knowing a "new 3D Mario" was being planned for the Wii U, they unveiled 3D World. All this talk about people getting "lost" in the 3D Mario games is kind of frustrating to read for me because I can't remember ever really being lost in any of the 3D Mario games, meanwhile I've wasted countless hours of my life trapped in the ghost houses of 2D Mario games with absolutely no idea what to do, where to go, or what possessed the developers to make such boring levels.

Not to mention the times I've been lost, playing the same level over and over again in NSMB/3D world trying to collect all the star coins. I guess the point is, getting lost is just not fun in the 2D games- you don't feel like you're exploring, you feel like you're doing the same thing over and over again. Because you are. I mean, I guess getting lost in the 3D games might not be fun either, I can't really say because I've never done it, atleast not for any appreciable amount of time. Then again, I guess Super Mario Galaxy 2 did have something a bit similar to star coins in green stars, but I can't really say how that shapes up because I never finished Super Mario Galaxy 2.

I mean, maybe I'm just shit at 2D Mario games. Actually, I definitely am, the only one I've ever 100%ed was Super Mario Bros., and I haven't beaten many more than that. But you could say just as justifiably that the people who get lost, can't even keep track of the characters that are on the screen, and the other things this article mentions, are just bad at the 3D Mario games. Well, other than motion sickness, but yeah. It just feels like Nintendo made one or two great, innovative Mario games with Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine and ever since they've been slowly pulling it back for the sake of pandering to an audience that just wants to play Super Mario Bros. 3 again with new levels. I mean, even less than that, however you measure I'm pretty sure Super Mario Bros. 3 had more features than the first New Super Mario Bros. For fuck's sake, even the map screens got more linear.

I mean, the new games aren't bad. They're just not really good either. I just wish they would make a new real 3D Mario game that actually makes use of the innovations of Super Mario 64, instead of pretending it never existed and trying to bring 2D Mario into 3D again in a worse and less fun way. Super Mario 64 already showed us how to make 3D platformers, so why does Super Mario 3D World have to go back to linear levels with no exploration and a fixed isometric viewpoint? It feels like an early 90s game from before Super Mario 64, struggling to make the transition to 3D.

I just want another real 3D Mario game.
And another real Paper Mario while they're at it.

Uniju said:
I guess it's not really something I couldn't figure out already just from the games they've been making, but man, that's some real shit. I lost all hope when after months of just knowing a "new 3D Mario" was being planned for the Wii U, they unveiled 3D World. All this talk about people getting "lost" in the 3D Mario games is kind of frustrating to read for me because I can't remember ever really being lost in any of the 3D Mario games, meanwhile I've wasted countless hours of my life trapped in the ghost houses of 2D Mario games with absolutely no idea what to do, where to go, or what possessed the developers to make such boring levels.

Not to mention the times I've been lost, playing the same level over and over again in NSMB/3D world trying to collect all the star coins. I guess the point is, getting lost is just not fun in the 2D games- you don't feel like you're exploring, you feel like you're doing the same thing over and over again. Because you are. I mean, I guess getting lost in the 3D games might not be fun either, I can't really say because I've never done it, atleast not for any appreciable amount of time. Then again, I guess Super Mario Galaxy 2 did have something a bit similar to star coins in green stars, but I can't really say how that shapes up because I never finished Super Mario Galaxy 2.

I mean, maybe I'm just shit at 2D Mario games. Actually, I definitely am, the only one I've ever 100%ed was Super Mario Bros., and I haven't beaten many more than that. But you could say just as justifiably that the people who get lost, can't even keep track of the characters that are on the screen, and the other things this article mentions, are just bad at the 3D Mario games. Well, other than motion sickness, but yeah. It just feels like Nintendo made one or two great, innovative Mario games with Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine and ever since they've been slowly pulling it back for the sake of pandering to an audience that just wants to play Super Mario Bros. 3 again with new levels. I mean, even less than that, however you measure I'm pretty sure Super Mario Bros. 3 had more features than the first New Super Mario Bros. For fuck's sake, even the map screens got more linear.

I mean, the new games aren't bad. They're just not really good either. I just wish they would make a new real 3D Mario game that actually makes use of the innovations of Super Mario 64, instead of pretending it never existed and trying to bring 2D Mario into 3D again in a worse and less fun way. Super Mario 64 already showed us how to make 3D platformers, so why does Super Mario 3D World have to go back to linear levels with no exploration and a fixed isometric viewpoint? It feels like an early 90s game from before Super Mario 64, struggling to make the transition to 3D.

I just want another real 3D Mario game.
And another real Paper Mario while they're at it.

tumblr_m5obry33rl1qgan7r.gif

All this... except the ghost houses because they're really the only levels I find rewarding to complete in the modern Mario games.

personally I don't want another SM64/64DS styled game since since I really didn't like that game(s)

but that's just me

I agree with what Uniju said....except the part where he called games like Super Mario 64 the "real" 3D Mario platformer. But Nintendo makes pretty stupid excuses. How can you possibly get "lost" in Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine? The worlds aren't THAT big and confusing. I mean, that's inconceivable. Oh well, they're the same people who didn't put Peach in New Super Mario Bros. because it's hard to animate her dress.

Also, I pretty much a prefer a fixed camera that Super Mario 3D Land/World provides than the atrocious camera that is a package deal with 3D Mario platformers like Super Mario Galaxy or 64.

Baby Luigi said:
I agree with what Uniju said....except the part where he called games like Super Mario 64 the "real" 3D Mario platformer. But Nintendo makes pretty stupid excuses. How can you possibly get "lost" in Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine? The worlds aren't THAT big and confusing. I mean, that's inconceivable. Oh well, they're the same people who didn't put Peach in New Super Mario Bros. because it's hard to animate her dress.

Also, I pretty much a prefer a fixed camera that Super Mario 3D Land/World provides than the atrocious camera that is a package deal with 3D Mario platformers like Super Mario Galaxy or 64.
To be fair, SM64 was one of, if not *the*, earliest use of a camera in that context so they didn't have much to go on. I'd agree that the camera is probably its biggest downfall, which is why it has been built upon and improved since.

Having said that, Galaxy is a poor choice to compare it to because that game is very similar to 3D Land/World in a lot of ways, seeing as most levels are 'follow the path to the star' with very little exploration. In addition to that, the camera is fixed in a lot of areas in a similar way as well. Can you give an example of when the camera was particularly frustrating?

In places where you DO need to navigate the level (when it's not linear), the camera really gets in the way at points. There are some points in Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 where I wanted to change the camera but the game doesn't even let me. Hell, some of the challenges in Galaxy 2, specifically the green star made use of atrocious camera in order for it to be challenging. I tend to go to first person a lot in this game and I can't believe some parts in Galaxy you can't even do that, nor can you adjust the angle even if it was reasonable to adjust it.

Speaking of cameras, I thought Sunshine's worked pretty well. You could get any angle you wanted.

Yeah, but sometimes it just goes nuts.. Especially in Pinna Park's Waterfall climb (the one behind the Ferris Wheel). Galaxy's camera was like the best, except for what BLOF just mentioned. I completed SM64 like a hundred times (exactly 4 on N64, 2 on DS) and it didn't annoy me very much (well, expect in hacks). Up to now, Sunshine was the best one followed by SM64 then DK64 and Galaxy was the worst.

i think super mario 3d land and 3d world are better than the other 3d mario games, imo. i think they're more of a natural evolution of the 2d ones.

Honestly I prefer titles like 3d Land to Sunshine or Galaxy

HEY NO NONE OF THAT THIS IS A THREAD FOR INTENSE ARGUMENTS ABOUT DIFFERING STYLES OF 3D MARIO GAMES WE WONT HAVE ANY OF THAT NEUTRALITY BULLSHIT IN HERE

After spending a lot of time with every 3D Mario game, I think I prefer Sunshine and 64 over Galaxy, and SMG2 and the 3d games are my least favourite. They're all good, though. I just find Sunshine's open areas, HUB world very fun and rewarding. Sunshine's biggest flaw for me was the Blue Coins, and even they could be an amazing concept if done better (ability to find them all in every mission, and a checklist for knowing which ones you found). I also really liked the secert stages.

I hope we see another Mario game like Sunshine.

Yeah, but scrap the F.L.U.D.D. and the Spin move from Galaxy, and get the dive and the long jump back.

Anyway, If they really think that players can get lost in 3D games (which happens very rarely), add a built-in guide. Where you can buy it from somewhere in the game, and you can use it anywhere to let the computer plays part of the level for you. Want to put difficult-to-collect items? Organize them with a list that includes a very brief summery. So that if you missed one you don't have to search everywhere including areas where you collected them before. Want to make the camera the best, get two modes: Default: semi-limited camera (like the one of SM64), Another mode: Unlimited camera: allow it to go through the walls. And please, work a little more on walls and grounds like how SM64 had. In my first playthrough of SMS , I died 3 times from glitches (especially in Noki Bay while on my hunt for the blue coins). In my first playthrough of SM64, I didn't die even once suffering from any glitch.

I didn't like 2D games I only liked NSMBW, but mostly I just play them once before forgetting them forever.. As for 3D games, If I enjoyed the game very much, I always play them twice, and return to them several months later (ex: SM64, SMS, Banjo-Tooie)

I'd like a beat-em up Mario platformer.

Back