Have Online MKW Hackers gone too far?

SKmaric

King Bowser
[Mini rant thread warning]

So as you probably know by now that the Nintendo WFC servers are going to be switched off a month from now, so naturally I'd play some of the game's that are going to be affected a little more often as a last opportunity to play games such as Mario Kart Wii online.

Now I'm no stranger to online FTW hackers, but today something particularly special happened in Worldwide Battle. So one person who I didn't initally notice as a hacker was subtle using certain items more often than the game would usually allow, the giveaway was that he used a Blue Shell on himself despite being in first place and brought out a Star right before the impact. Anyway so at one point he was following me with a Mega Mushroom and threw out a Red Shell because he couldn't quite catch me, but I outran that too by having it crash against a wall. Then I get a Mega Mushroom myself straight after and manage to squash them, and then suddenly everyone shrinks and freezes on the spot, the timer stuck at 00:00:000 and the music still going (even transitioning in the to hurry up version). Seriously it's still going as I write this post. Now I don't need to go on to YouTube to listen to the fast version of Block Plaza on an endless loop.

So yeah, it looks as if hackers now instead of rage quitting normally they now have a server kill code so that everyone suffers no matter how hard you try. Or at least something about their presence causes the server to crash at random. On top of the fact that everyone loses about 100VR each.

Yeah this will probably end up on my list of threads I regret starting eventually but seriously, I'm cool with hacks of console games that enhance the experience such as CTs, skins and whatever, but this.

I have experienced crazy online hackers before who just through shit everywhere, their not too bad and I actually quite enjoyed racing with them as they will always never finish first. However I do hate FTWs and I would leave if I saw one.

I remember when it was possible to play several times a day without a hacker...:P

The last time I played it was against some stupid hacker, who was constantly giant, completely blocking the road, and he/she was throwing unlimited bomb-ombs at me, so I turned off my console.

yes, and obama must intervene

I hate it when I'm racing against 11 hackers. A lot of hackers use bob-ombs, blue shells, mega mushrooms and star, all at the same time.

I hope hackers won't hack MK8.

Misty said:
Apparently it's extremely hard to hack the Wii U.
Well, a few hackers can hack a Wii U especially a Wii U Gamepad (eg. operating a computer using a gamepad). I forgot which site I've heard this article.

Well, to throw fuel into the fire, I have just finished second on Wario's Gold Mine against another American, a Canadian, a Brit and several Germans and I've already encountered signs of hacking-at one point, there were multiple consecutive lightning strikes and it even lagged during the third lap!

UPDATE: Just finished second on N64 Sherbet Land and here's what I've encountered there:

• Lag
  • Right when the race started, someone literally threw a bunch of Fake Item Boxes all in one small area!
  • Once again, lightning struck multiple times in a row...

All of the other races so far today after that one had no hacking evidence.

infinite8 said:
Misty said:
Apparently it's extremely hard to hack the Wii U.
Well, a few hackers can hack a Wii U especially a Wii U Gamepad (eg. operating a computer using a gamepad). I forgot which site I've heard this article.

That's not the same as, say, installing cheats into it via Homebrew like Mario Kart Wii. The 3DS is still yet to be cracked, which is why there are still yet hackers to be found in that game. But god bless if I'm able to replace characters and music in Mario Kart 7.

to be on topic, yeah, those hackers are one of the many reasons I'll stay far away from online. They should do something better like, say, designing their own custom tracks. Or at least make Wario have 99:59:999 while driving 300cc speeds.

And this is why I just do CTGP races online, there's no hackers on it. I haven't encountered too much hackers in normal races but when I do they usually leave after like a race a two. I hope that if the Wii U or 3DS become hackable, MK7 and 8 have some sort of thing that can tell if the racer is a hacker or not.

YoshiGo99 said:
I hope that if the Wii U or 3DS become hackable, MK7 and 8 have some sort of thing that can tell if the racer is a hacker or not.

You can't. Hackers will just find a way around that. The only option is to report suspicious players like happens in some other multiplayer online games.

Hackers ruin the game for everyone in my view (although the stories of them can be very funny) like seriously everyone just wants to have a good time playing and ppl cheating ruins the chance of anyone else ever winning, it is the worst!

I myself are a FTL hacker, meaning for the laughs. I actually rarely ever do it anymore, but when I did I tried to get last so everyone gets VR. I also try to stop FTW hackers.

Back when I was a professional Mario Kart 7 racer I encountered a few hackers twas annoying

Z-omb said:
Hackers ruin the game for everyone in my view (although the stories of them can be very funny) like seriously everyone just wants to have a good time playing and ppl cheating ruins the chance of anyone else ever winning, it is the worst!
Hacking isn't necessarily cheating.

hackers on mkw don't really bother me, since all I have to do is quit the race and find another group, which is only a minor inconvenience to me

I've never gotten any "troll" hackers. All my sister and I got were the ones, err... the one, that use hacks to avoid falling down. My sister and I got so pissed at one point, we attempted to follow him and bombard him with whatever items we could get. My sister got 2nd, he got 3rd, and I got 8th because I was pushed off in the process, haha.
Needless to say, I don't think he was able to use item hacks at that point.

Back