Character Moveset Speculation: Yoshi

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
So now it's the Yoshi series' turn for one of these. Again, not meant to be a debate topic, just a speculation topic. Remember, if you want to suggest a character, be sure to specify what kind of moveset they could have or how they'd work as a playable character. Keep things clean and have fun!

The yoshi series is interesting, in that there aren't that many characters there that couldn't also be applied to the Mario universe. Typically characters from the series (specifically ones listed as trophies in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl) are ones either more prominently featured in the Yoshi series or more closely associated with it then the main Mario series, specifically the baby versions of major Mario characters. When it comes to characters from the Yoshi universe, I always thought it would be cool that each universe should get more representatives (at least, ones that had characters to spare that could work as characters). In all likelihood, I'd say that once again, Yoshi will be the only representative of his respective universe, though if they were to add another character to represent the Yoshi universe...

Well, my top choice is Kamek. He's essentially the main antagonist of the series, being the key guy behind the plot of the first Yoshi's Island (Baby Bowser didn't even seem to know what was going on) and being the main antagonistic force against Yoshi in almost every other Yoshi game since, or at least in the ones where he's featured in. The roster could use some more villains, if somehow King K. Rool and Ridley don't get in (assuming other villains I've suggested and will suggest in the future that seem more likely then Kamek don't get in either), and I really do want to see more magic-based characters. The only one I've seen ins Zelda, and yeah, she's okay I guess. Apparently Peach also uses magic? Eh... That being said, I still have my doubts, especially considering that Kamek looks almost identical to a normal/generic Magikoopa, who also happens to be an enemy in the 3DS game's Smash Run mode. It could be possible to make Kamek look slightly different from the other Magikoopas. for one, they seem to add more detail to playable characters then to generic enemies in the Super Smash Bros. series. They could give his hat a star-and-moon pattern, or something to that effect... Kind of unlikely, given that the new games seem to be all about making the characters look as close as they can to their original counterparts. Still, it's not COMPLETELY out of the realm of possibility, and I'd be glad to see it all the same (even though I think an Assist Trophy is more likely, specifically one where he sprinkles the arena with his magic like he doe sin the Yoshi's Island games and it positively effects whoever released him). As for his moveset, I think I could see Kamek primarily using his wand as both a melee weapon and a means to conjure various times of magic; like, his forward smash could be a flame attack, his up smash would be an electric attack, and his down smash could be an ice attack, something to that effect. His grabs would essentially be him using his magic to hold opponents in place ans he waves his wand around to perform his throws. His neutral special move would be his trademark blue square-red triangle-yellow circle spell, which has random effects on whoever it hits (in addition to doing damage), but also turns items into enemies, like it does in the games. And interesting idea I have is that his recovery move would be his side special, in which he'd hop on his broomstick, which really, we've seen him speeding off horizontally more then any other direction. Haven't really thought about his other special moves, or his final smash, so I'll leave that up to you guys.

Aside from him, the only other likely choice I can think of is Baby Mario & Baby Luigi... and it's interesting I say that. Really, when you think about it, isn't it weird that it's typically suggested that Baby Mario and Baby Luigi could be a tag-team character in Super Smash Bros. as opposed to just Baby Mario? After all, the Baby Mario Bros. are rarely paired up in the games they appeared in. In fact, more often then not they're separated! Then again, Baby Mario would be comparatively weak on his own, and could use a partner to power him up a bit. I would usually just assume these two would be like the Ice Climbers, though I recently thought of the idea that they'd literally be inseparable. Even though I just said they are usually apparent in their games, the main driving force behind the Yoshi's and Baby Mario finding his brother is apparently the connection Mario has to Luigi, even as an infant, and that can be used to explain why they stick really close together in this instance. Of course, it'd be hard to explain how two characters are so close together that you can't even attack one of them individually... still haven't worked that part out. I could see a Chain Chomp being one of their special moves, referring to their appearance in Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (one of the few times they ARE paired together); maybe their up special can be a bubble forming around them. As for a Final Smash... part of me wants to have them loudly crying, while another part of me wants to use something else... like I dunno, maybe they become "Super Baby Mario and Super Baby Luigi" and get capes like whenever Yoshi gets a star in Yoshi's Island? I dunno...

Them aside, I can think of no other characters from the Yoshi series that would either be notable enough or has enough going for them to appear as a playable character. I really don't think they'd make the other baby characters playable... I've also seen on oddball suggestion of having the Stork playable. I RALLY don't see that happening, but my goodness if they could make that work...

Sorry if it seems like what I'm saying has less thought put into it or there isn't as much effort this time around, I'm actually a bit tired at the moment... Wanted to get this out of the way (I DO enjoy doing this, and I want to make this a daily thing).

Final Smash for Kamek would have to be him making a Yoshi boss to attack the other players, probably Burt the Bashful.

Misty said:
I never understood why the Yoshi series isn't with the Mario series.
I think it might be because, when the first Super Smash Bros. was made, Yoshi was notable enough to have his own symbol and victory music, as well as his own stage (considering all the other original 8 non-unlockable characters had at least that much).

Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are also featured together in Mario Kart Arcade GP games, both featured together in an ad and in Yoshi Park, they share a course in Mario Kart Double Dash, and were seen together in the opening of Mario Power Tennis. So, they're not separate as much as you think. The times they ARE separate, it's either Baby Luigi's not there or he's gone because it's for plot's sake rather than actually trying to keep Baby Luigi separate from Baby Mario.

For me, my idea for Baby Mario and Baby Luigi is that you can interchangeably control them simultaneously and they have different attacks suited for different purposes. I haven't worked it out yet, it's just an idea I had.

I don't think Kamek would be the best choice, especially if he's indistinguishable from other Magikoopas.

I support Baby Mario and Baby Luigi as a pair. They are twins after all, so the pairing would work nicely for them.

Shy Guy Forever said:
What about Shy Guy?
Sorry to be blunt, but face it. Shy Guy is not going to be a character in the new game. This is reality! He has already been confirmed as an enemy, and he would not be able to have much of a moveset. Shy Guy may go in spinoffs, but he will not be a SSB character.

How to Train Your Yoshi said:
Shy Guy Forever said:
What about Shy Guy?
Sorry to be blunt, but face it. Shy Guy is not going to be a character in the new game. This is reality! He has already been confirmed as an enemy, and he would not be able to have much of a moveset. Shy Guy may go in spinoffs, but he will not be a SSB character.
You don't know what it feels like to have your favorite fictional character of all time shunned from being in the best series ever.

Shy Guy Forever said:
Shy Guy Forever said:
What about Shy Guy?
You don't know what it feels like to have your favorite fictional character of all time shunned from being in the best series ever.
So? You don't see me complaining about Godzilla not being in Smash Bros.

Let it go.... Let it go....

Shy Guy Forever said:
Shy Guy Forever said:
What about Shy Guy?
I really don't know. :fancy:

Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:
Shy Guy Forever said:
Shy Guy Forever said:
What about Shy Guy?
At least Shy Guy has a better chance then Ridley.

Shy Guy Forever said:
Shy Guy Forever said:
Shy Guy Forever said:
What about Shy Guy?
That's not true.

Super Smash Misty said:
Shy Guy Forever said:
Shy Guy Forever said:
Shy Guy Forever said:
What about Shy Guy?
That's not true.
Ridley is already deconfirmed as a boss.

Shy Guy was already deconfirmed as an enemy.
Plus, Ridley could be playable and was only shown as a boss for the laughs

Back