What games do you think get too much hate

NSY

Celestial Guide
Pretty self-explanatory. What video games do you think gets too much undeserved hate. Also the I've posted a video below as it talks about some interesting examples of games that are seen as overhated. Go check it out:

I find Super Paper Mario to be overhated because the fact people only dislike it because it's not like their beloved TTYD. They to need to give it a second chance because when you get into the new formula, you actually notice it's a great game. Sadly fanboys still decide not give this game a second thought I also think Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess get a bit of undeserved hate. Twilight Princess because of how everyone seems to comment on it being too dark and Skyward Sword because some people think that having motion controls and the game being semi-linear automatically means it's a bad game.

I have to say Darkspore is the first thing that comes to my mind. I doubt anyone's heard about it. It gets like, mixed reviews and a 6/10. Sure, it's a hack and slash game with RPG elements, similar to Diablo, but it controls nicely and does its job of being satisfying to kill enemies. It's a bit repetitive at points, and it DOES have the stupid always on DRM crap, but it stands out for its Spore-like editor which takes customizing your character to the max.

I also think Super Mario Bros. 2 USA gets too much hate for essentially being a reskinned Doki Doki Panic (when that's not necessarily true) and it constantly gets overlooked by Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. I had more fun with Super Mario Bros. 2 than those two games and I think it should get more love.

Another contender is Mario Kart Super Circuit. I think it does deserve the good reviews it got and its GameRankings and Metacritic average. I think the main reason it gets criticized is that it is compared to more modern games, because the handling in Mario Kart Super Circuit is very similar to Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario Kart. It also has very creative, memorable tracks (and the most race tracks in the series so far) and I think it does a good job at being the first handheld Mario Kart. It's overshadowed by more modern games, but it shouldn't be forgotten.

I would say the Mario Kart Arcade GP games too, but they're more overshadowed than hated, really.

Mario Party games should get a spot here. I constantly see criticism for being the same game over and over, but I still have fun with the game. I don't think it NEEDS any major core changes; just look how botched up Mario Party 9 and Mario Party: Island Tour are. I think the Mario Party games are fine as they are: they need some few changes to shake things up a bit, similar to Mario Kart. The game is meant to be played with friends, so I still don't understand some of its criticisms of how repetitive it can get or how boring it is. The only one I CAN get behind is lack of online play. Seriously, it's a multiplayer focused game, it'll DEFINITELY benefit from online play, which should be a staple in ANY multiplayer game these days.

I'm going to mention Spore too. Though its core game is a bit lacking, the creature creator is simply the best customization I have ever seen. It's truly amazing. What makes this game even better is its expansion pack, Galactic Adventures. I think THAT should be the core game instead of what we have. You can basically do virtually ANYTHING with Spore Galactic Adventures. You can create a Mario Kart adventure, complete with checkpoints and objectives, you can just do random crap like blowing up enemies and killing them without any sort of objectives. The scope of creation is limitless and it's easy to use and fun too. With the creator creator, vehicle editor, and building construction, and the vast customizable terrain, I'd say it's one of the best games for creativity out there. I can get behind that Spore can be considered a shell of its former self but its expansion pack kinda does it justice. It's a shame EA had to abandon this...

Super Paper Mario, definitely. It's actually my personal favorite of the series, but all of the first three are amazing. At least SPM keeps the traditional enemy designs, original enemies, original characters, and tons of cameos from previous games. In fact I would love a sequel to it.

Also, Super Mario Galaxy 2. While not as nostalgic as the original, it still shines just as brightly to me. Now if only I can just unlock Perfect Run and beat it. (I didn't get the medal in the first Grandmaster mission and now I can't even make it there anymore)

Count Bleck said:
Also, Super Mario Galaxy 2. While not as nostalgic as the original, it still shines just as brightly to me. Now if only I can just unlock Perfect Run and beat it. (I didn't get the medal in the first Grandmaster mission and now I can't even make it there anymore)

It's only hated here. Like, every other forum I've been to praised it up the butt and its metacritic/gamerankings average is pretty high.

final fantasy 13.

I really liked most of the characters, the story, visuals and audio was good too, and really loved the battle system and how roles worked.

Also ff12, but its mainly just good for the side content.

Shadow the Hedgehog

I liked the guns, the choice system and some of the bosses where cool. The music is pretty memorable too for me anyway. It's a shame people automatically hate this game when it's mentioned. There is some things I don't like in the game like some frustrating levels but nothing major.

DragonFreak said:
NSY said:
Skyward Sword because some people think that having motion controls
IMO, I think this is stupid, because I think the motions are revolutionary to the series.

well its pretty dumb to hate a game sololy on motion controls.

Although i still have trouble playing games with motion or stylus controls though.

I mean, it may make the game difficult (OMG, difficulty ahhhhh), but the controls of Skyward Sword were REALLY WELL MADE. Like, I would even go so far to say it had the smoothest controls on any game on the Wii (or any I've played). Plus, you control Link's actions even more than ever before. It's just...so wow.

Final Fantasy 12 is hated for gameplay
but i liked the gameplay, sue me

Niime said:
Final Fantasy 12 is hated for gameplay
but i liked the gameplay, sue me

was certainly better then previous games.

especially with the ability to have buffs at all times.

In this community, Sticker Star. Don't deny it, you can't even MENTION the game without people going on for 2 pages to talk about why they hate it. And no, I'm not confusing "too much hate" with "legitimate criticism" if anyone wants to argue with me.

In general? Skyward Sword, Metroid: Other M, COD (explanation is at the end of that video NSY posted), Sonic Lost World and basically any game that gets 'hype backlash' like Bioshock Infinte and The Last of Us. You know, where people decide they hate a game because other people praise it as the best game ever.

Also, any casual game. Flappy Bird in particular these past few days. I mean, come on, it's a frustrating game, but saying "it's barely a game" is just stupid.

Purple Yoshi said:
In this community, Sticker Star. Don't deny it, you can't even MENTION the game without people going on for 2 pages to talk about why they hate it. And no, I'm not confusing "too much hate" with "legitimate criticism" if anyone wants to argue with me.

I completely agree with this, it's an alright (although flawed in some aspects) game that gets extra hate because it's a Paper Mario game and had much hype built.

Every game that people say is bad just because they're suck at playing it. "How the heck am I supposed to defeat the aerial enemy when I don't have any jump stickers? This battle system sucks. This whole game sucks. 0/10"

Purple Yoshi said:
but saying "it's barely a game" is just stupid.
Have you even played Flappy Bird?

Sticker Star would be a fantastic game if it wasn't a Paper Mario game. It being a PM game fucked it over in every way possible.

See, this is why I think this is stupid

1) Flappy Bird was a free game. You didn't have to pay a cent to play it.
2) That could apply to all iPhone games that are high-score based, like all infinite runners ever.
3) Since when does a game have to 'be a game' for you to enjoy it? Gone Home was still an amazing game and people could easily get enjoyment out of it despite people saying it was 'barely a game'.

It's like people are hating on Flappy Bird on a...fundamental level or something, and that's incredibly stupid for a game that's meant to be played on the toilet or on the bus to waste time.

I know I'm not a game, but me.

Doctor Walter Bishop said:
Purple Yoshi said:
saying "it's barely a game" is just stupid.

no, not when you can buy a WarioWare game and have access to like 80 games that are more complex than it

Game & Wario and Nintendo Land says hi!

SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2. The most hated good Mario game. I won't say Sunshine because that game is actually loved here, and I think history has vindicated it.

Chuck Ballymoo said:
SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2. The most hated good Mario game. I won't say Sunshine because that game is actually loved here, and I think history has vindicated it.
Like what has already been said it's only hated here.

Purple Yoshi said:
Since when does a game have to 'be a game' for you to enjoy it?

since forever pretty much

save for visual novels, which i'm fairly certain flappy bird is not.

brb securing the rights to Flappy Bird: The Visual Novel

Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom (Multiplatform)

This has actually been a really good game IMO, it's only problem was probably that it was branded a Spongebob game...

Apollo Justice gets too much hate imo
seriously, I think that even though it wasn't the best in the series, I still prefered it to JFA, which was only really redeemed by the last case.

Freakworld said:
Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom (Multiplatform)

This has actually been a really good game IMO, it's only problem was probably that it was branded a Spongebob game...
I have it on GBA. I love all my GBA Spongebob games

Back