General Discussion

Baby Luigi said:
For the real characters being in the template check this relatively recent proposal out, which addresses some of your concerns.
Thank you very much! It makes a lot of it clear. I understand and agree with the proposal.

Even so, on another hand, I hope my other concerns (like the overall organization of this template) can still be discussed ^^'

It's difficult to sort out characters by "relevance" since that term is extremely loosely defined in the first place. There are so many variables that I don't think it's worth overhauling the template.

Actually, I was thinking of just crapping the Humans nav-template altogether. It's just a list of un-related characters being grouped together mostly because of their species, and humans should probably get an exception to the rest of the animals here considering they're by far the most common type of character in any media (humans make games so yeah, sounds strange when I say that to add to my point lol). I think a category will do a far better job at organizing them than nav template.

Mostly because with stuff like Piranha Plants and Koopa Troopas, they have like a consistent general design across most games they appear in and hence are fairly easy to navigate through because they exhibit more similarities with each other than the humans do. With the humans, you've got characters ranging from the Super Smash Bros. playable humans, to Mario Tennis characters, to WarioWare characters, etc. It's like giving "Frog", "Bird", or "Octopus" a navigation template.

Baby Luigi said:
It's difficult to sort out characters by "relevance" since that term is extremely loosely defined in the first place. There are so many variables that I don't think it's worth overhauling the template.

Actually, I was thinking of just crapping the Humans nav-template altogether. It's just a list of un-related characters being grouped together mostly because of their species, and humans should probably get an exception to the rest of the animals here considering they're by far the most common type of character in any media (humans make games so yeah, sounds strange when I say that to add to my point lol). I think a category will do a far better job at organizing them than nav template.

Oh, I agree with you. Unlike the other species on the Marioverse, humans really differ between them. Althought both humans and other species all have characteristics in common within their species, Humans always change in the MarioVerse: realistic characters in some games, semi-realistic in others, the usual "Mario" style on most and its varieties, etc.

I understand your point about the relevance thing. In this case a category would make it far better, with maybe sub-categories for specific games/series these characters are in/recurring appear? I like the categories page on every wikia, they are really useful, my only concern with it is that it isnt as visible as the templates. :/

Time Turner said:
Is there a reason the Main Page is linked to as a tiny link on the sidebar when the large image on the top-left already links to it?
I'd support removing it, and instead having the sandbox under "Tools".

I think the DiC cartoons should have a series page. While there's overarching series name, all shows have similar styles, themes, production staff and a series page could also detail stuff like the overal production of the cartoons as wekk as the influence they had over other material from their time.

Relatedly, I remember seeing a manga scan that had a drawing of Bowser's DIC design with the caption "this is American Koopa" or something like that. Does anyone a) know the image I'm talking about and b) know which manga it isfrom (the style looked like KC Mario but I'm not sure)?

Glowsquid said:
Relatedly, I remember seeing a manga scan that had a drawing of Bowser's DIC design with the caption "this is American Koopa" or something like that. Does anyone a) know the image I'm talking about and b) know which manga it isfrom (the style looked like KC Mario but I'm not sure)?

1. I know the image you're talking about.

Bowser_and_Mario_%28Japanese_take_on_American_portrayals%29.jpg

2. It is from the KC Mario Manga (Kodansha), but it's taken from the Supper Mario Broth.

Regarding my conversation with Chat man here (User talk:Chat Man), I was wondering is a list of "Paper" enemies to go along with the Shiny page would be relevant enough to create. Paper is something different, so maybe "Paper (form)" or "Paper (enemy form)"?

So, that info about "Daisy being introduced in MT64 due to lack of humans"...Is it correct at all?

The source on her page links to http://www.camelot.co.jp/gimon/gimon13.html

If Google and me can translate it decently at least, the page has 0 reference about Daisy actually being introduced due to lack of human characters. The site itself is very confusing, but the only closer info is questions and replies regarding why Goomba isnt playable, and that is because it doesnt have hands (Which btw is already on Goomba's page).

The only question directed at Daisy only says that "She is rare character cause she has a common appearance" and that "She seems to be a princess of a country like Peach".

Ashley and Red said:
http://www.camelot.co.jp/gimon/gimon13.html

star.gif

I'm uploading this little guy.

As for the information, it's possible something was misread. "Rare character" probably confused someone. Feel free to correct or remove, imo.

(And Goomba not having hands never stopped him. Look at Mario Baseball!)

I think the sentence is trying to say Daisy simply had very few appearances prior to Mario Tennis. She was in... Super Mario Land... and Mario Open Golf. That's it. That's pretty "rare".

A little update on the current status of APNG.

First of all, now the share of currently used browsers implementing APNG is around 70%, with both Chrome for Android and Safari on iOs supporting it, thus making it a mobile-friendly format as well (after all, both LINE and iMessage use it).

The issue of ImageMagick support has not been solved at all, with the maintainer of the PNG part of ImageMagick deliberately refusing to implement APNG due to him being a member of the PNG Development Group which considers the format strictly a single image format. This means that in the current situation creating thumbnails of APNG images isn't possible and all APNG images must be used on the wiki at native resolution. As a reminder, beside thumbnailing the current wiki infrastructure otherwise fully supports the format, providing an appropriate analysis of the animation.

At this point the question is if someone is able to create a script for MediaWiki to use command line tools such as APNG Disassembler followed by resizing and APNG Assembler.
Or, if nobody can solve the issue of thumbnailing, trying to make a proposal even without the support of thumbnails, although I fear it could be yet another tough one.

I'd like .apng only when absolutely necessary, such as when images need more than 256 color limitations or if they need semi-transparency. For smaller, simpler images such as sprites, meant to be drawn with indexing in mind, .apng offers no advantages over .gif.

Technically, DEFLATE and PNG's prediction tools result in smaller file size than GIF in most of the cases when using indexing, it's only application support that prevents APNG from completely replacing GIF. Of course, APNG would be introduced only for truecolor images and 8-bit Alpha images, both of which are found on Wii U/Switch (e.g. MK8 Electrodome video is truecolor, Paper Mario: Color Splash sprites are truecolor + 8-bit Alpha) and LINE animations (that are stored in APNG format and, in the case of Android images, indeed use truecolor rather than dithering+8-bit Alpha).

However, sometimes random items that do not easily fit into one of the sections are left out, or in the case of RPGs, minor things like NPCs (Non-Playable Characters) are omitted because they would make the template almost unusably large. (MarioWiki:Navigation_templates#Game-specific_templates)

Is there a single example of this? Especially in regards to the NPCs, I've never seen a template omit them.

Should probably ask porple beforehand

When people search Super Mario on MarioWiki, I'm pretty sure they should be redirected to the "Super Mario" series page because I'm fairly certain that's the term they're looking for rather than the power-up, as that title is more marketed to the general audience and has more exposure than the specific form.

I just wanted to get some community feedback on this before making a proposal.

We have some ports, such as those of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and DKC: Tropical Freeze, that share articles. However, we have others, such as Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS and Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World, that have different articles from Super Mario Maker for Wii U and Yoshi's Woolly World, solely because they have different names. And let’s not even mention Smash 4, which has 3(!) game articles...

We do have an article (reissue) that classifies each reissue, although it is out of date and a bit inaccurate.

I think that we should merge standard ports, but keep remakes, enhanced ports, and the like seperate (we don’t want CTTT to become like Smash 4, do we?). This would mean merging SMM, YWW, DKCR, etc. with their ports. I know that this doesn’t sound like the best idea, but our only options are (a) merge ports into original games, (b) split ports from original games, and (c) our current inconsistent split-by-name system that merges some ports (those that share names, and the New Play Control! series) and splits others (those that have the slightest naming differences). Personally, I think option (a) sounds best.

As for Smash 4, I think we should merge Smash 3DS (Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS) and Smash Wii U (Super Smash Bros. for Wii U) into our general Smash 4 article (Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U), as I find covering the same game on three different articles pointless.

Don't forget all versions of the Mario & Sonic games receive their own articles.

I don't really agree with merging Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U together though. They have lots of separate content in them that justifies their separation, such as different stages, different game modes, different challenges, different trophies, etc. I think merging those two together would make a rather messy and a too necessarily huge article.

Back