General Discussion

Swiftie_Luma said:
i would like to know what Rosalina's card says if its possible , please and thanks.

The Super Mario Galaxy bio is on the wiki
"Rosalina's home is the Comet Observatory, a very important place that serves as the launching pad for all of Mario's adventures throughout the universe. She has an expansive knowledge of the universe and is known as a kind and motherly figure, especially to the Lumas-those cute little stars that she adopted who help Mario throughout his journey to save the princess."
I don't have the MKWii card, though.

Pretty much all of the enemies and bosses from Super Mario Bros. 2 are marked with Category:Characters from other Nintendo games. Beyond the incongruity with species such as Bob-ombs being in a category about characters, should they continue to have the category? I'm aware that they were originally from Doki Doki Panic, but keeping them labelled for that feels like a technicality, and they look out of place with all of the category's other entries. I don't have the strongest reason for this, but it's been bugging me for way too long.

Alex95 said:
Swiftie_Luma said:
i would like to know what Rosalina's card says if its possible , please and thanks.

The Super Mario Galaxy bio is on the wiki

I don't have the MKWii card, though.

Fortunately, I do. I put it on the wiki (and remembered Italics)

"We first met Rosalina in Super Mario Galaxy. This Princess is loved by all Luma. Now, she's hitting the racetrack (with Luma in tow) as the first female Heavyweight ever—which adds just a little touch of 'star' quality. Rosalina is very special as evidenced by the effort required to unlock."

They keep calling Rosalina a princess. Not only Prima, but the trading card too.

Time Turner said:
Pretty much all of the enemies and bosses from Super Mario Bros. 2 are marked with Category:Characters from other Nintendo games. Beyond the incongruity with species such as Bob-ombs being in a category about characters, should they continue to have the category? I'm aware that they were originally from Doki Doki Panic, but keeping them labelled for that feels like a technicality, and they look out of place with all of the category's other entries. I don't have the strongest reason for this, but it's been bugging me for way too long.
If they seem to appear in both Doki Doki Panic and Super Mario Bros. 2, I don't see why they shouldn't be labeled as "Characters from other Nintendo games", especially if they debuted in Doki Doki Panic. Otherwise, it would be like putting Chain Chomp or Goomba in that category since they made a cameo in other Nintendo games as actual characters and enemies.

Deinosuchus said:
Who actually make these cards?
It seems that "Enterplay" does.

As for the stuff about the SMB2 characters, I understand Time Turner's concern: the category specifically states to contain characters who aren't part of the Mario franchise. This definition as of now excludes the SMB2 enemies (but it really should be redefined, to cover those characters who were originally part of another Nintendo game or franchise, but have since been adopted as a Mario character).

Ohhh, okay. Seems like there's a confusion there indeed.

I say just rename it to "NonMario Nintendo Characters" or "Characters In Nintendo Outside The Extended Mario Franchise" or better yet "Nintendo Characters That Have Appeared in Mario Games But Whose Parent Series Aren't Mario Or Covered Extensively As Defined In MarioWiki:Coverage".

LeftyGreenMario said:
Ohhh, okay. Seems like there's a confusion there indeed.

I say just rename it to "NonMario Nintendo Characters" or "Characters In Nintendo Outside The Extended Mario Franchise" or better yet "Nintendo Characters That Have Appeared in Mario Games But Whose Parent Series Aren't Mario Or Covered Extensively As Defined In MarioWiki:Coverage".
You mean renaming the actual title of the Category:Characters from other Nintendo games ?

"NonMario Nintendo Characters" would exclude the coverage that I explained before about characters who have since been adopted as Mario characters. And "Characters In Nintendo Outside The Extended Mario Franchise" along with your last suggestion both seem too long to be used as a category title. I think it would make more sense to keep the current title of the category (which is brief but accurate), and then further define the category's coverage in the description. I suggest something like this:

This category contains characters who were originally from other Nintendo games and franchises, but have since appeared or have become a part of the Mario franchise and related crossovers.

A couple of months ago there was a discussion about how some of the wiki's page banners could do with a redesign, due to being outdated, irrelevant, and poorly designed.

I've had a go at coming up with a new "Proposals" banner. It humorously picks at the word "Proposal" (relevancy), while using classic Super Mario Bros. elements and timeless 2D artwork (so it probably won't become "dated", which was a concern that some people had about the artwork style in the current banners). Plus it represents some recurring concepts of the series, such as Mario's "romantic entanglement" with Peach, and Bowser ending up with a defeat.

But what do people think?

R2KMfSc.png

>mrw yk links to my post

That looks great! The proposal looks a lot more relevant and less god-awful than just slapping some pictures on a page and putting some filter on it. Plus, the Bowser reminds me of what I do when I write some of my proposals.

Shokora said:
A couple of months ago there was a discussion about how some of the wiki's page banners could do with a redesign, due to being outdated, irrelevant, and poorly designed.

I've had a go at coming up with a new "Proposals" banner. It humorously picks at the word "Proposal" (relevancy), while using classic Super Mario Bros. elements and timeless 2D artwork (so it probably won't become "dated", which was a concern that some people had about the artwork style in the current banners). Plus it represents some recurring concepts of the series, such as Mario's "romantic entanglement" with Peach, and Bowser ending up with a defeat.

R2KMfSc.png
Conceptually, it's fine, but the "MARIOWIKI PROPOSALS" text...needs work

Shokora said:

R2KMfSc.png

I personally don't like the mish mash of different artstyles like the original Super Mario Bros. artwork mixed with a relatively more modern Bowser.

Also, Reboot is correct. I don't like the MarioWiki Proposals text. It looks like it's crudely handdrawn paying no attention to text-design. There's so much problems with the text that we're better off starting over and using actual fonts as a base rather than handrawning the text from memory.

Shokora said:

R2KMfSc.png
It looks a bit tacky since the resolution between Mario, Peach, and those sprites (especially the ring) are inconsistent with each other. Is this the highest resolution Mario we can find?

I think something like this image from Mario Party 6 miracle book or this one would be pretty relevant and humorous (of course, coupled with Yoshi and the Mail Shy Guy), but we probably have to change the style to a Mario Party one. Then, we can put a picture of Boo, edited to make it look like she's supporting while Daisy is deciding. We can have two characters debating (like Waluigi on that tree pedestal and edit Luigi onto another tree pedestal) if that's possible too. We can remove the colored borders if necessary (not hard). For text... we'll figure something out.

Shokora said:
"NonMario Nintendo Characters" would exclude the coverage that I explained before about characters who have since been adopted as Mario characters. And "Characters In Nintendo Outside The Extended Mario Franchise" along with your last suggestion both seem too long to be used as a category title. I think it would make more sense to keep the current title of the category (which is brief but accurate), and then further define the category's coverage in the description. I suggest something like this:

This category contains characters who were originally from other Nintendo games and franchises, but have since appeared or have become a part of the Mario franchise and related crossovers.
But that's the point? They are considered Mario characters despite their origins. The name doesn't discount that. Of course, I provided a technical one that's contrived but fits very precisely what we're talking about. I think the current name is misleading at a first glance so I think it has got to be renamed along with redefining what's in the description. I don't necessarily agree that definition because I want to redefine the category to exclude those Super Mario Bros. 2 characters and prevent them from getting categorized alongside actual third-parties like Kirby, Link, Meta Knight, and Palkia.

Shokora said:

R2KMfSc.png
I would like it if every new banner could share the same size. If you look at every banners from the wiki, they all have a different size which is an inconsistency. Before creating the banner, for consistency, I would like that each banner respects the same size. Maybe each new banner should rely on the size of the banner of the Poll Committee, which is the most recent one.

I like the ideas of LeftyGreenMario, but this artwork of Princess Peach (File:MP6 Peach.jpg) is interesting, because the "A" from her panel could mean the word "Approve" which could match with our "Support" section and the green color also match with right thing or approval (often used and described by the usage of green).

So, Peach is in the support side while Boo is in the oppose side. Daisy is still deciding. Using those artworks would be more descriptive of the proposal system rather than Mario Kart artwork.

So, this is some of my ideas. Should we create a new topic about this instead of flooding this one?

The problem with artwork is that you'd have to scale down so its resolution doesn't look off compared to the sprites I suggested. It might work, it might not, we'll see. But I also don't think it's *super* hard editing the sign to make them say "support", so there's that. But I like the idea of Yoshi / Peach / Mail Shy Guy getting swamped with letters that symbolize proposals being there... unless there is some sort of fan mail management system! Maybe we can use that for the 'Shroom.

Shooting out ideas. Would like to design, but I probably won't have the time.

I like the banner.

Regarding the category; for me, the most sensible course of action would be to keep the current name and description and just stick to it, thus removing characters that have become part of the Mario series. This would leave it as a category for characters such as Sonic, Link, and so on.

I really think it needs more work to be able to be in a section.

The thing that i like is the composition , elements like Peach and Mario in one side of the area and Bowser in the other side its balanced. As well as the concept regarding the section.

However , the images are poorly placed , Bowser being correctly sized ( you only see his from his chest to above) and then Peach and Mario are floating in space , just copy pasted in there.

Mario's picture is in poor resolution , Peach hair looks chopped and her expression is like she is looking to the infinity and beyond , a ring being copy pasted in Mario's hand not blending with his own artwork , etc.

Also the mis-match of art styles , we see sprites and 2D art , i dont think it looks that good. Same with how the typography selection was handled , it does not look right.

Shokora said:

R2KMfSc.png
I barely notice the old banner, mainly because it has been there for so long. Regarding the actual artwork I really like it, but what really captures my eyes are the inconsistency in "jagging" between the level that is found on the background and in the font and the artworks. The ring also does pop up a bit (and I personally hate this artwork of Mario). I think the Bowser one fits well (both as a general image, and as an idea). I also like the Mario Party 6 Peach's artwork but I don't think it will fit here.

I don't mind the font unlike BLOF, which is probably the same case as the old Comic Sans debate, as I didn't mind that either (I think I don't have that much of artistic vision).

One thing though, I think it would be a lot better if it was in the Super Mario Maker style (with background and such) as it is a good mix of old and new. Also, I feel using the old games style restricts us to the same style in all the other future pannels

I think it might be a good idea for The 'Shroom, asking for it as "a chance to change the wiki yourself". Readers can send out ideas, and we will have a mix of ideas to look through.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. So here's a summary of the opinions about what we want in a new banner:
  • An actual font face is preferred over a handrawn, jaggy text (although I should mention that the text was inspired by the Super Mario Bros. 3 title screen)
  • Artwork on the banner should be of the same style (same game/era). The artworks should also be of a similar resolution, so they look acceptable when scaled down to the size of the banner and placed together.
  • Newly created banners should begin to follow a consistent size, most likely matching the new banner at MarioWiki:Polls. The proposals banner should therefore be displayed at 800px in length, and about 175px in height.
  • It should be visually well-balanced.
  • There should be less focus on older game styles.
And as for a new design, there were some good ideas:

*category stuff*

But that's the point? They are considered Mario characters despite their origins. The name doesn't discount that. Of course, I provided a technical one that's contrived but fits very precisely what we're talking about. I think the current name is misleading at a first glance so I think it has got to be renamed along with redefining what's in the description. I don't necessarily agree that definition because I want to redefine the category to exclude those Super Mario Bros. 2 characters and prevent them from getting categorized alongside actual third-parties like Kirby, Link, Meta Knight, and Palkia.
I understand now, my apologies for misinterpreting the intention of the category. I'm neutral about changing the category name (but really, your suggestion of "Category:Nintendo Characters That Have Appeared in Mario Games But Whose Parent Series Aren't Mario Or Covered Extensively As Defined In MarioWiki:Coverage" is not an option). As I stated earlier, the name should be kept straightforward and simple, and specific boundaries of the category should be a part of the category's description.

Haha, maybe it was hard to tell, but I wasn't being very serious with the long category name. Should've ended it with a wink smiley.

Perhaps Super Mario Maker style will work, but I think that's way better off in Wiki Maintenance or Featured Articles since I associate that with construction work, shown by the character artwork.

Oh, and for banner styles, I like to strive for styles based on different series.

Obvious ones are Mario Kart and Mario platformers, but I like to see banners based on Mario Party, Mario Sports, maybe Mario vs. Donkey Kong with those Mini Marios... oh and let's throw in Donkey Kong, Wario, and Yoshi series if we have enough banners.

If we're going by series, then Mario Party would be the obvious choice for Featured Articles, seeing as the main objective in that series is to get stars, and if an article's featured it gets a star.

I heard someone said banner, so I came as fast as I could.

Well I don't have anything new to add to YK's banner seeing as everything's been nicely summarised, but I had a go at making a maintenance banner:
TheB75F.png

The font is from the game, btw. I think that the text could be a little further away from the edge of the image, but that's all I can think of for now. Thoughts?

Back