General Discussion

Usually, the textures we upload fit perfectly well on flat planes, so they're kinda intended to already be flat in the same way of a sprite. In skinning a model, it's like ripping the skin off your character and laying them flat, so they're different in a sense than the ones we upload in the wiki (btw the wiki doesn't benefit from textures of characters that look like roadkill, unless it's to detail a glitch or pre-release element).

The personality section for Bowser's wiki article is a bit messy in some spots and I think it needs to be cleaned up a bit.

In general, characters who have large articles such as Bowser have a myriad of writing problems. I mean, I think his section can be trimmed too.

I feel like you could probably cut entire sections and make a separate page for em with Bowser.

Like we have a page for Paper Bowser, why not put all his Paper Mario sections there and just put a link on the main Bowser article that leads to it?

Would probably help for load times especially since that page is only going to keep getting bigger with every new game.

Mostly because we treat Paper Bowser's appearance in Paper Jam differently than Bowser's appearance as paper form in the other Paper Mario games, because the games treat them differently. It's mostly explained why in this proposal (MarioWiki:Proposals/Archive_44#Deal_with_the_duplicate_Paper_subjects_in_Mario_.26_Luigi:_Paper_Jam).

The size of the character articles, however, does call for some concern, as you're right that they will get bigger and bigger and harder and harder to navigate and load. We recently split off Mario's gallery into separate galleries, and there may need to be a time where we need to slit Mario's page into pieces. I don't know when that time will come, however.

If I were to guess it would be sooner than later.

I mean there are 2 games this year alone that he's going to be in.

Best we can do for now is to slim the plot sections into one paragraph and don't go into beginning to end like in some points in the Mario article. Like in Bowser, don't describe the entire plot in Mario Party 7, but just say he crashes the party and he has his own board and he is fought in this minigame rather than go into detail in any of that, with details going into respective articles.

What you should do is just delete every article on the wiki except the Bowser related ones and rename it the super Bowser wiki.

Then rename this forum the Bowserboards

What would exactly be "Bowser-related"?

Everything because he owns everything.

This is something I'm curious about: Would the minor and forgotten controversy about Gamespy's review of Donkey Konga 2 be valid material for the List of Mario-related controversies page?

The summary for those who can't be arsed to watch 5 minutes of a guy with a thick british accent: Gamespy had a contract with Nintendo to provide the online structure for the Gamecube (before Nintendo scrapped it due to an homebrew exploit). Gamespy hired a freelancer to write a review of Donkey Konga 2 on their website and it was extremely negative, but a few days it was posted, the score was changed and the text was edited to be much more positive without informing the writer of the changes. A few websites reacted to the mess.

I'm asking since this is uncharted territories for the page, since the controversy wasn't about Donkey Konga 2 itself and Nintendo was only indirectly involved, but I dunno, I found it relevant enough.

Can't we add this to the reception section of the Donkey Konga 2 article as well?

Watched the video: I don't think it's really within the scope of the "controversies" page; it involves widespread discussion/disagreement about a third-party review to the software, but it wasn't acknowledged by Nintendo. I don't think the software being licensed for use by Game Spy matters. There's still that wall between licenser and licensee that wasn't crossed at all.

Misunderstanding of a fan review, which didn't receive any official acknowledgement, on a fan website for a licensed piece of software. It doesn't seem worthy of coverage in my opinion.

Pink_Gold_Peach said:
For the Fire Piranha Plant article, should the species image be the current one or the artwork from 3D Land?
I'd say the one with red and white spots, as that appearance has been more recently represented in games such as Paper Jam and Color Splash.

I'm a bit at a loss for the name of a location in Mario's Time Machine (clearly, the most pressing of issues). When travelling there with the time machine, it's called Gobi Desert, a vast area that covers part of Mongolia and China. However, when talking to Kublai Khan, he calls the area Cambuluc, which was a city that he founded/conquered. This also doesn't take into consideration the fact that "Cambuluc" is an uncommon, though still accepted, alternate name for "Khanbaliq", also "Cambaluc", "Dadu", and more. The name's uncommon enough that Chrome considers it an incorrect spelling and wants me to correct it to "Cambaluc". So, what would be the most appropriate name for the article?

on a side note, you need to give the leader of the mongol empire a firework because otherwise, in his words, he will brood until he finds a worthy distraction

which name is more proeminent in the game itself?

Gobi Desert appears when selecting the destination for the time machine:

t4mSvME.png

And Cambuluc appears in a line of dialogue with the Khan:

YbcZbIL.png

Both only have one appearance (as far as I can tell).

My opinion would be that the game interfact takes priority over dialogue, but that's not rooted in policy or anything

I think Gobi Desert should be the name of the article while Cambuluc would be a redirect to that page. I mean, the text for Gobi Desert is all big and gold, something players can't easily miss while Cambuluc is just a line in dialogue.

Out of curiosity, was it difficult to get the DOS version of Time Machine working correctly (or working well enough to get screenshots and background rips)?

The method I'm using for playing the game allows me to easily open the necessary files. I grab the original .bmp files, convert them to .png, and voilà. Technically, I don't even need to play the game for the images, since the SNES and DOS games are nearly identical besides some different graphics and maybe a different line or two, although there are also DOS-exclusive locations.

Edit: Since I still need to play the DOS version occasionally, I'm running it through a Windows XP virtual machine. For the most part, this works fine, but the surfboarding sections are ridiculously fast for some reason. Otherwise, the rest of the game looks and sounds normal.

Back