General Discussion

http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=1516.0

wrong thread

Would it really kill people to read?

Or just go to the Profile button on the upper side of the page? It's not rocket science.

They just want to get spoonfed, really.

Anyway, let's get back. If this guy responds with another inane statement, report the post.

A little while ago, some users expressed that MarioWiki:Maintenance could be improved in various ways, such having more entries and better organization.

What do people think of this (User:Shokora/MarioWiki:Maintenance)? Some other admins already approve, but I figured that we could run it past here and make sure that people are happy with the presentation, content and colors.

Certainly more categories here than last time, which is good. Makes it easier to find a specific category without having to go digging through them. And the split between different categorical sections just makes finding them even easier.

Yellow's a bit hard on the eyes, but that's probably just because I've been staring at a screen for the last two hours and am having trouble distinguishing the letters on my keyboard.

Overall, looks good to me!

That blob of yellow's an eyestrain, especially in comparison to the other sections' muted colours. The content itself is very good, and it seems to cover every possible maintenance category, though I have to ask why the broken file links are under general article maintenance and not files (on that note, how come it isn't "file maintenance" or some variation thereof?).

Would people prefer a more pale yellow? I've tried to do tweak it (compare this with this). I still think that the section should be presented in yellow, as used by a lot of notice templates relating to images.

Time Turner said:
why the broken file links are under general article maintenance and not files (on that note, how come it isn't "file maintenance" or some variation thereof?).
That was an oversight; thanks for catching that. And that section title has been reconsidered.

I support even more pastel colors, especially with the blue version (for the blue links to stand out more). Otherwise, it's a bigger improvement over the current one.

Shokora said:
Would people prefer a more pale yellow? I've tried to do tweak it (compare this with this). I still think that the section should be presented in yellow, as used by a lot of notice templates relating to images.

I'm thinking more of an orange, but I get having it be consistent with the image templates. I don't really mind a bright yellow, tbh, but I know it's a difficult color to look at, especially when there's that much of it.

Going back to what we were talking about voice clips before, i took the time to check some articles , specifically both Baby Brothers

And it picked my interest that they conveniently have a detailed ''Voice'' section in their own articles meanwhile not even Mario himself has this?

Not gonna even ask why so my real question would be...

Following this , should more characters (all the main ones at least) have this little section too? Wouldnt be just as fair?

You know , specially since other character have clearly changed their sound drastically thus giving different characteristics to the characters portrayal , this includes:

Luigi
Daisy
Peach
Rosalina

And even DK , as he clearly sounds ''goofier'' nowadays.

I added that section because why not? Auditory descriptions of characters should work with their aesthetics, and if characters are portrayed by different voice actors, the more they need a voice section. I think the only reason articles haven't followed suit is because I was too lazy to make a main thing.

I think the voice section is pretty silly.

Mario himself has gotten different voice actors over the years too; we got the guy who voiced Amuro Ray from Gundam for several Japanese products, Lou Albano, that Mark guy for Hotel Mario, that Walker guy for the latter two Mario cartoons, and of course Charles Martinet. The reason I didn't add it is that the general information section kind of already has this, talking about Mario talking gruffer and in a Brooklyn way while the Charles Martinet one is a softer, more playful version with a thick Italian accent. I just don't see the need to create a voice section for Mario, to be honest, aside from pointing out some of the voice actors Mario has and had.

I don't see why you can't split it off into its own section. It's more easily organized that way too, especially with Mario where you can pretty much go in-depth about the changes made about his voice.

I'd would like to do this with Rosalina.

I think there's enough information , completely unbiased (because its taken from the VA interviews and quotes themselves) to make it a nice little section.

I've wrote a voice section mostly because I fanworship think it's equally as important to write auditory qualities of a character as well as their physical description.

Characters like Rosalina will definitely benefit from how their voice has changed over time.

I just realized, Swiftie is lying ;) : Mario DOES have a voice section. It's just under a different name: Speech. And it does talk about Mario's voice, "his most recurring voice actor, voice-overs, Mario's voice is soft and high-pitched, but in a few other games and in the cartoons, Mario has a gruff voice usually associated with a Brooklyn accent." And I don't think I need to go more without repeating from Mario's other sections (e.g. no "Mario sounds cheerful when he talks"; duh, he's a cheerful person).

I've wrote a voice section mostly because I fanworship think it's equally as important to write auditory qualities of a character as well as their physical description.

Worry not , my feelings are similar.

Lol.

Either way , it would make a nice little piece of info for the characters as i think it's one way to give them even more detail into how their personality has been portrayed.

I just realized, Swiftie is lying ;)

OMG , BUSTED!

JK, i actually didn't know. I mean i thought it would have the same name as the ones for the Babies.

Even so , i dont think Weegee has this section :3

Like an image, I think the voice samples themselves can be used to illustrate, but I still don't think you need to go over the intricacies of their voices unless they are portrayed with different voices, as how Mario went through.

btw, I think Martinet Mario's voice is overall the sameish, though Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64 sound... different compared to today.

Swiftie_Luma said:
Even so , i dont think Weegee has this section :3
That's because no one cares about him.

Then upload .oggs of the voice clips from different video games and add it to Mario's gallery section. Shouldn't be hard.

i would attribute that to the years though.

The guy has been Mario for more than 20 years now.

Yes , voice direction also can give an effect but Mario has a standard sound kinda like Mickey so i think the voice changing naturally because the actor ages is more than likely for such differences.

Back