Flappy Bird discontinued

Driftmaster130

Rest in Peace, Walkazo
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/09/tech/flappy-bird-removed-from-app-stores/

Never got a chance to play it, but it did look like a good timekiller. IMO the only reason it was pulled is people the developer wants to avoid a lawsuit with Nintendo/Rovio. Seriously, if you don't want your creation to be viral overnight, don't release it to the public.

Re: Flappy Birds discontinued

Your "IMO" should probably be supported by facts. I'm honestly not 100% sure if this was the case, but the thing I've been hearing is that the creator has been getting death threats over the difficulty, or over the possibility of it being removed. Probably more realistically I've also heard that it was because he meant it to be a relaxing game, but decided to pull it when it became a trend that it was an anxiety-inducing game (and then death threats after stating he was removing it).

I could probably get the complete truth by googling a news article with an interview included, but I'm not the OP so I don't care that much.

Drift said:
Seriously, if you don't want your creation to be viral overnight, don't release it to the public.

As for this, that's like saying movie stars and entertainers and other famous people should be perfectly fine and expect to be hounded and stalked by paparazzi and crowds of insane fans. They're still humans and deserve a bit better than that.

yeah, brock's explanation is closer to the truth. he didn't really care about the death threats, but he was frustrated that the game was so popular. he didn't care about the lawsuits - he knew that he hadn't done anything wrong - he just got frustrated

besides, anyone with an android can just install the apk file to reinstall it, so i'm fine

my record was 82. people have been selling iPhones with Flappy Bird installed in it for ludicrossly high prices

Drift said:
Seriously, if you don't want your creation to be viral overnight, don't release it to the public.
This statement is based on hindsight bias. -_- I could imagine that the creator could have never predicted that his game would be THIS viral.

also, it's flappy bird, not flappy birds

for some reason people think anything with a bird in it is a ripoff of angry birds

Elsa said:
yeah, brock's explanation is closer to the truth.

I'm Anton ;~; Gym Leaders do not all look the same, you misleaderist leaderophobe ugh. I'm so triggered right now I can't even fucking deal.

Morty is the cutest by far, though. That is a fact.

Morty said:
Elsa said:
yeah, brock's explanation is closer to the truth.

I'm Anton ;~; Gym Leaders do not all look the same, you misleaderist leaderophobe ugh. I'm so triggered right now I can't even fucking deal.

Morty is the cutest by far, though. That is a fact.

yeah i spent like 5 minutes asking myself "...isnt that anton?"

you should ban his fun

There's a ton of knock-offs anyway and the gameplay wasn't even original.

Drift said:
IMO the only reason it was pulled is people the developer wants to avoid a lawsuit with Nintendo/Rovio.

nintendo has stated that they basically didn't care that flappy bird had similarities to mario (source)

as for rovio aren't they the ones who made angry birds? i haven't played the game myself but i've played parodies and i've seen what the bird looks like and i don't really see how rovio has anything to do with this
unless rovio are the kind of company who would sue someone who has any game devs who made games with "bird" in the name, but i haven't heard of anything like that

Drift said:

i've heard that it was released in may of last year (source), and from what i can tell, it only started getting popular recently. so no, it didn't immediatly become viral overnight and i doubt the creator of the game intended it to

i'd like flappy doge a lot better if the whole thing would actually fit on my screen

that's why i've played maverick bird so much instead, it actually fits (plus it has catchy music)

Princess Puddin said:
at least we have flappydoge http://www.dogetek.co/game/
One of mates at school has Iron Pants and Spashy Fish

I play it on Spele.nl, so it isn't completely discontinued.

Hotaru Tomoe said:
Drift said:
IMO the only reason it was pulled is people the developer wants to avoid a lawsuit with Nintendo/Rovio.

nintendo has stated that they basically didn't care that flappy bird had similarities to mario (source)

as for rovio aren't they the ones who made angry birds? i haven't played the game myself but i've played parodies and i've seen what the bird looks like and i don't really see how rovio has anything to do with this
unless rovio are the kind of company who would sue someone who has any game devs who made games with "bird" in the name, but i haven't heard of anything like that
Well, since today's world basically runs on money/profits, then why would someone actually be afraid of something they invented earning big? Now all that former-Flappy Bird addicts will probably do is bash the creator and never buy anything from him again.

Hotaru Tomoe said:
Drift said:

i've heard that it was released in may of last year (source), and from what i can tell, it only started getting popular recently. so no, it didn't immediatly become viral overnight and i doubt the creator of the game intended it to
It did surge is a short period of time, though. I guess the developer was probably bored and created a crossover game, putting it on the App Store as a joke.

Wolverine said:
my record was 82. people have been selling iPhones with Flappy Bird installed in it for ludicrossly high prices

It's apparently against eBay's policy to sell devices with Flappy Bird now, even though they're still getting away with it. Someone bought an iPod with it for $3,000.

Elsa said:
for some reason people think anything with a bird in it is a ripoff of angry birds

Just like they think everything with a pipe is a ripoff of Mario.

I have this theory that Flabby Bird was discontinued intentionally so that it would be even more heard of than before, and then after a certain amount of time, bring back and it and then even more people than possible would play it.

I feel like somebody would do that, why not this person?

Because I'm pretty sure no one would willingly endure constant death threats. Also terrible logic with that "well why not?????" Like, he'd have to be in control of the media in order to make sure an app being discontinued made the news. And don't say "well it made the news because it was big!!" because if it was big why would he need to make it bigger by doing something that would harm himself just idk wow

Also
Drift said:
Now all that former-Flappy Bird addicts will probably do is bash the creator and never buy anything from him again.

There isn't really a "probably" since I already said that and so does the news.

Drift said:
Well, since today's world basically runs on money/profits, then why would someone actually be afraid of something they invented earning big?

Because what I also said in my post about how people really don't like being hounded, regardless of profits. Capitalism isn't so cynical where everyone will do anything to turn a quick buck. He wasn't afraid of profits, he was afraid of it gaining enormous popularity. Read the news like wow

You guys really should actually look at the damn news and confirm things before shitting out random ideas that you assume are true because "why not???????????"

Morty said:
Because I'm pretty sure no one would willingly endure constant death threats. Also terrible logic with that "well why not?????" Like, he'd have to be in control of the media in order to make sure an app being discontinued made the news. And don't say "well it made the news because it was big!!" because if it was big why would he need to make it bigger by doing something that would harm himself just idk wow
Assuming those death threats actually exist. Not calling him a liar, but I don't really trust anyone.

BUT THEY DO EXIST LIKE REALLY LOOK AT THE NEWS WOWOWOWOW UNBELIEVABLE

You're either being 5edgy7me or you're being completely serious. If it's the latter I beg you to never contribute to any serious conversation ever again and seek some help.

Back