General Science Discussion Thread!

Morty said:
ernesth100 said:
How...how do they no that without getting close to it?

Science.
Because of behavior of objects near a black hole, and all that radiation that black holes spew are the best indicators.

tbh we really don't know that much about black holes

i doubt they'll discover what's inside one in my lifetime

Dr. Javelin said:
tbh we really don't know that much about black holes

i doubt they'll discover what's inside one in my lifetime
Can't we just send some monkeys inside of one?

sure, but how are we supposed to know what happens to the monkeys after crossing the event horizon?

The nearest black hole is about 1600 light years away. Good luck reaching that.

小龙怪 said:
You attach video cameras to them.
and you plan on getting the video cameras back...how?

remember, they can't transmit any data back because all the electromagnetic waves they emit would be pulled into the black hole

ernesth100 said:
Dang is there anyway to keep the camers from loosing signal at all?
There is a short answer and a slightly longer answer.

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: since black holes' gravity fields are strong enough to prevent radiowaves from escaping, no.

A wormhole, or the Einstein–Rosen bridge, is basically a tunnel that connects two different part of the universe while a blackhole is simply a gravity well created from inconceivable masses. Think the universe as a long sheet, like the space-time fabric. The wormhole is basically a tube that connects different parts.

It's conceptual right now, but at least it has some scientific validity.

Floki said:
ernesth100 said:
atoms...then...nothing

quarks and bosons would like to have a word with you

(and prolly some other sub-sub-atomic particles I can't remember)
And what's nothing? A perfect vacuum can't really exist, you know that? In space, it's just matter being more thinly spread.

Pokémon Trainer Essentia said:
ELECTRONS

electrons are one of the three elementary components of atoms

i'm quite sure ernest knew what an electron was; we're talking about the components of subatomic particles here

What about neutrinos?

Millions of them phase through neutrino detection machines unnoticed, so only 10ish are studied.

"About 6.5×1010 solar neutrinos per second pass through every square centimeter perpendicular to the direction of the Sun in the region of the Earth."

Dang.

Back