General Science Discussion Thread!

Xanthium said:
But mabye one day... Yeah, mabye we will find a way.
yeah, exactly. it's really arrogant to think "wow we know everything that's possible and impossible", because i honestly doubt that will ever happen. humanity has a way of constantly improving (or worsening, depending on the point of view) its knowledge and technology

Dr. Javelin said:
Xanthium said:
But mabye one day... Yeah, mabye we will find a way.
yeah, exactly. it's really arrogant to think "wow we know everything that's possible and impossible", because i honestly doubt that will ever happen. humanity has a way of constantly improving (or worsening, depending on the point of view) its knowledge and technology
except we can near-eliminate some ideas, because the laws of physics dictate they're extremely improbable. not using quantum mechanics, i'm pretty sure teleportation is impossible, at least not without using an incredibly high amount of energy and resources that would render it extremely impractical, since you should have to somehow convert the human body into a form of being that can be moved across the earth at high speeds to an exact location and then reassemble the human body without defects

It could be like star trek where the atoms are simply rebuilt. Human teleportation would essentially be killing the person and then perfectly reassembling them elsewhere. They covered this in an episode of Through the Wormhole.

Morty said:
It could be like star trek where the atoms are simply rebuilt. Human teleportation would essentially be killing the person and then perfectly reassembling them elsewhere. They covered this in an episode of Through the Wormhole.
but again, even if we developed the technology to do this flawlessly, the energy required (and the energy released) would be too high, would it not?

Xanthium said:
Did you know that you are probably going to die if you go near a black hole?

No. Black holes aren't entities that suck things in. Even if they bend the laws of gravity, they still follow it; if our sun is replaced by a black hole with a similar mass, our gravitational pull towards the sun wouldn't change. It's the main we reason we don't succumb to Sagittarius A* a long time ago.

Baby Luigi said:
Xanthium said:

No. Black holes aren't entities that suck things in. Even if they bend the laws of gravity, they still follow it; if our sun is replaced by a black hole with a similar mass, our gravitational pull towards the sun wouldn't change. It's the main we reason we don't succumb to Sagittarius A* a long time ago.
i'm not an expert on black holes but i can definitely tell you that if the sun was replaced by a black hole we'd die anyway

Howl said:
Baby Luigi said:
Xanthium said:

i'm not an expert on black holes but i can definitely tell you that if the sun was replaced by a black hole we'd die anyway

I'm entirely disregarding other stuff that would occur; i'm focusing only on the often misconceived notion that black holes go around and suck everything in.

yeah but as they gain more mass the gravitational attraction increases, so eventually...

Again, if they go around sucking everything in, we'd be gone by now, thanks to super massive black hole Sagittarius A*. So yeah.

Howl said:
Morty said:
but again, even if we developed the technology to do this flawlessly, the energy required (and the energy released) would be too high, would it not?

At our current level, probably, idk. I'm sure that once we get to a point in society where we even need to have teleportation on that sort of level we'd be harnessing much more energy much more efficiently anyways.

Baby Luigi said:
Again, if they go around sucking everything in, we'd be gone by now, thanks to super massive black hole Sagittarius A*. So yeah.
I want a picture of it. Someone give me a rough idea of how big Sagittarius A is.

ernesth100 said:
Well ants are smaller...then there are microbes...then atoms...then...nothing. So we're actually kinda big.
no you're still extremely insignificant

Howl said:
ernesth100 said:
Well ants are smaller...then there are microbes...then atoms...then...nothing. So we're actually kinda big.
no you're still extremely insignificant
It's all perspective, Nabber. We are really big in comparison to ants, microbes, atoms, quarks, etc. just as we are really small in comparison to planets, stars, solar systems, galaxies.

Significance is a matter of perspective.

ernesth100 said:
The biggest star is VY Canis Majoris...its like 20 suns.

20 suns!?!?!?

800px-Sun_and_VY_Canis_Majoris.svg.png

This isn't 20 suns at ALL

and... actually...

Back