General Science Discussion Thread!

Gotta love misleading sensationalist article titles. It's leading the reader to believe that the entire big bang theory is incorrect when it's really just a bullshit minor detail.

Yeah, Yahoo does that shit a lot. It's right up there with linking to articles/videos that don't exist and giving videos transcripts, thus negating the need to watch the video.

Clickbait when it comes to science articles or pretty much anything that's factual and could be affected by shit opinions is kinda really fucking awful.

Speaking of clickbait, The Onion's clickbait parody site is up now at http://www.clickhole.com/ and it's gr8 fun

ernesth100 said:
So I know exactly what humans will use teleportation for when it becomes a reality...space travel.

Space travel is already a reality. One of the Voyager probes is even entering interstellar space as we speak

Besides, teleportation is a VERY convenient thing. I doubt space travel will be its first application, honestly.

Baby Luigi said:
ernesth100 said:
So I know exactly what humans will use teleportation for when it becomes a reality...space travel.

Space travel is already a reality. One of the Voyager probes is even entering interstellar space as we speak

Besides, teleportation is a VERY convenient thing. I doubt space travel will be its first application, honestly.
Yes, but just imagine being able to teleport to mars. And explore and come back in the blink of an eye. Too tempting. Plus we'd save hundreds of gallons of fuel wasted on rockets.

Actually, we're starting to deviate from rockets. Have you heard about space planes? They're supposed to be the next gen way to travel to outer space. Instead of using dangerous and fuel consuming rocket power, we use space planes to go to outer space.

Teleportation is about as feasible as light travel speed, or near it, however.

Baby Luigi said:
Actually, we're starting to deviate from rockets. Have you heard about space planes? They're supposed to be the next gen way to travel to outer space. Instead of using dangerous and fuel consuming rocket power, we use space planes to go to outer space.
take a wild guess at what these "space planes" are powered by

No, no they're not powered by solar panels.

If we can't power a car with just solar panels, you think a space plane can be powered with just solar panels?

Someday, maybe, but solar panels currently don't have a high enough conversion rate of PV energy to electricity. Even then there's only a set amount of energy you can gain from light, because you only have so much space on the surface of your vehicle to put PV cells on.

I guess you could put tons of batteries on a space plane, charge it up, and then power the engines, but that takes up lots of space and makes it much less efficient than powered with fuel. Which is why planes still use jet fuel and not solar power.

tl;dr solar isn't as strong as fuel

Viridi said:
If we can't power a car with just solar panels,

We can but we don't on a mass scale because 'murica.

you think a space plane can be powered with just solar panels?

Solar sails are a thing. Maybe they're not enough to launch the damn thing into space, but once it's there it's sure a thing.

Also solar is stronger than fuel if you're measuring by efficiency but if you're measuring by propulsion then duh of course the thing that fucking explodes is gonna propel something further.

I never took physics so I'm mostly talking in vague details of things I know so don't expect me to give you specifics. That's what google's for.

Well, okay. You CAN power a car with just solar panels, however if you do then you're going to run out of power pretty quickly. Solar panels currently don't take in enough energy to make up for the amount of energy the car is using (although I guess that also depends on how fast the car is going, how aerodynamic it is, how much weight you're carrying, etc.). Not to mention the fact that you get zero energy at night time and reduced when there's cloud cover.

The closest thing we have to a solar car right now is a small, lightweight vehicle where then entire trunk (and also backseat if you want more) is taken up by batteries to give it more life before it dies out. There's no way you're taking in enough energy to power the thing while you're on the road, i.e. you will always be losing charge while you're driving because the solar cells simply don't make up for it fast enough.

And yeah, we do power things that remain in space with solar energy, but space planes only stay there for a brief time, not nearly long enough to recharge their batteries with solar.

I did do a big project on solar power. Photovoltaics is some complicated stuff.

Thermal solar power is also an option, but not really on cars (the standard solar panel you're thinking of is light energy to electricity, not heat to electricity). Unless you could somehow find a way to absorb the thermal energy in the roads and redirect it to cars as they drive over it? That would be cool.

Viridi said:
Baby Luigi said:
Space planes are still less wasteful than rockets because I don't think they need to discard their components during launch.

Maᴙio said:
Viridi said:
Baby Luigi said:
Space planes are still less wasteful than rockets because I don't think they need to discard their components during launch.

That's one of the main reasons space planes are preferred

Another is that they're more cost effective and they're less dangerous

I get the feeling you guys are jumping behind some new technology, just like when you proclaimed the glories of automated cars despite knowing nothing about driving.

Space planes can not do everything the space shuttle/Russian Soyuz rocket can do.

Space planes literally just take you to the very edge of Earth's atmosphere, enough so that gravity has no effect on you (well, technically it still does, but it produces what's commonly known as a zero-G environment). To break out of Earth's orbit entirely, you need added propulsion - which is what the space shuttle's added components would give.

No, you cannot currently take a space plane to the International Space Station. That's much, much higher in orbit than space planes can reach.

Of course they're not in that stage yet. They're still relatively very early in development.

well, if they do get to the point where they can fly reliably back and forth from the space station (without boosters, no less), then consider me in full support

until that point, they're just a distraction that only the super-super-rich can access

Some solar panels have the ability to use up energy reserves they captured from the sun so they can function at night too.

Baby Luigi said:
Some solar panels have the ability to use up energy reserves they captured from the sun so they can function at night too.
Or...maybe we make panels that can use any source of light what so ever and convert it to fuel!

ernesth100 said:
Baby Luigi said:
Or...maybe we make panels that can use any source of light what so ever and convert it to fuel!

Yeah! Let's use energy to shine a light on a solar panel to end up generating less energy than what we would've lost through entropy!!! BY JOVE YOU'VE SOLVED THE ENERGY CRISIS!!!

Morty said:
ernesth100 said:
Baby Luigi said:

Yeah! Let's use energy to shine a light on a solar panel to end up generating less energy than what we would've lost through entropy!!! BY JOVE YOU'VE SOLVED THE ENERGY CRISIS!!!
Yay! I'm genoos!

Baby Luigi said:
it's not the solar panel, it's a battery attached to the solar panel. if the solar cell is not taking in any photovoltaic energy, then there is literally no way they would be putting out any energy. rather, what you're referring to is a simple system where the solar cell is hooked up to a battery during the daytime, and you can switch to battery power at nighttime (or when there's cloud cover)

Back