General Science Discussion Thread!

Wolverine said:
some people can't google. for example, on the internet channel on wii, it'd take forever to google it, find it, return here and reply.

But he can and has argued with me in this very thread about how he just simply doesn't want to. Probably because some certain individuals keep insisting on answering those questions despite fully knowing that he's just being too stubborn?

i feel as though everyone is relying too much on technology, like i dunno, i'd rather manually write an essay than type it and print it, and i've always found it easier to access books for information than websites

What's "too much" reliance on technology. Are you opposed to the transition to digital media? Do you feel like people are taking advantage of it somehow? Do you feel like modern advances are actually a hindrance?

What are your reasons for wanting to manually write an essay instead of typing it? Are you a slow typer? Do you just take more interest in the physical process? How long of an essay is your limit for physically writing it out? Do you just say that to fulfill the page requirement since handwriting is typically larger than type?

Same for claiming that books are easier to access information than websites. Do you honestly believe that trudging through the library to find the right book is faster than searching it online? Do you just simply prefer the process? What about scientific journals and books that are either posted online or digitized--do those lose value? What about how the internet and modern technology has greatly helped organize libraries and made finding relevant sources easier instead of having to read the full book to see if it's useful?

Is all of this just some simple hipster statement of "things were better in the 1990's~" or is there actually a reason? So many questions.

Morty said:
Wolverine said:
some people can't google. for example, on the internet channel on wii, it'd take forever to google it, find it, return here and reply.

But he can and has argued with me in this very thread about how he just simply doesn't want to. Probably because some certain individuals keep insisting on answering those questions despite fully knowing that he's just being too stubborn?

i feel as though everyone is relying too much on technology, like i dunno, i'd rather manually write an essay than type it and print it, and i've always found it easier to access books for information than websites

What's "too much" reliance on technology. Are you opposed to the transition to digital media? Do you feel like people are taking advantage of it somehow? Do you feel like modern advances are actually a hindrance?

What are your reasons for wanting to manually write an essay instead of typing it? Are you a slow typer? Do you just take more interest in the physical process? How long of an essay is your limit for physically writing it out? Do you just say that to fulfill the page requirement since handwriting is typically larger than type?

Same for claiming that books are easier to access information than websites. Do you honestly believe that trudging through the library to find the right book is faster than searching it online? Do you just simply prefer the process? What about scientific journals and books that are either posted online or digitized--do those lose value? What about how the internet and modern technology has greatly helped organize libraries and made finding relevant sources easier instead of having to read the full book to see if it's useful?

Is all of this just some simple hipster statement of "things were better in the 1990's~" or is there actually a reason? So many questions.
id say i type pretty fast and write small so nah. and yeah i dont have a limit to writing lol. also libraries are p easy to browse, cause things are neatly organized and sectioned. a lot of things online are plagerized, some even inaccurate. i might be old fashioned, but i like sitting down and writing a good essay with effort put in.

also ew hipsters lol

Books can have plagiarized information as well, but plagiarism doesn't necessitate inaccuracy. Books can become outdated, presenting a similar problem to inaccurate web pages. Without going back to the wikipedia argument but bringing up the same logic, both require the user to actually put forth some effort on their own end to fully utilize it correctly. And yeah, libraries are pretty organized but you can't deny that online databases make libraries more accessible and show you if the book is even there before you spend time hunting it down.

Also yeah that's pretty old-fashioned and nothing more than that, because the only difference in "effort" between hand-writing and typing is the extra inch or two you need to drag your hand and then when you make a mistake you have to take more time to erase. So basically your only reason is "I just prefer the feel of it".

Wolverine said:
Hypochondriac Mario said:
Zae Eildus said:
ernesth100 said:
Who the heck is scroog mcduc?
freaking jeez
Yeah, I mean, c'mon, a quick Google can help you answer some of your previous questions.
some people can't google. for example, on the internet channel on wii, it'd take forever to google it, find it, return here and reply
ftr it only takes like 15 seconds to google "who is scrooge mcduck" and get the answer to said question using wii internet channel

Morty said:
Books can have plagiarized information as well, but plagiarism doesn't necessitate inaccuracy. Books can become outdated, presenting a similar problem to inaccurate web pages. Without going back to the wikipedia argument but bringing up the same logic, both require the user to actually put forth some effort on their own end to fully utilize it correctly. And yeah, libraries are pretty organized but you can't deny that online databases make libraries more accessible and show you if the book is even there before you spend time hunting it down.

Also yeah that's pretty old-fashioned and nothing more than that, because the only difference in "effort" between hand-writing and typing is the extra inch or two you need to drag your hand and then when you make a mistake you have to take more time to erase. So basically your only reason is "I just prefer the feel of it".
well i walk to the library then look for books and read them. its funner walking 2 miles, picking out like 4 books, and reading them to gather info than not walking and reading like a page of info

Looks like teleportation may become possible.

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/scientific-breakthrough-may-laid-groundwork-human-teleportation/613912/?twitter=yes&utm_content=buffer7ae65&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

cool beans, teleportation!

there's still the question of how consciousness would be affected by it, though. i mean, it's one thing to beam an apple or something, since because apples are inanimate you have more room for error. it's another to disassemble a working brain and reassemble it in exactly the same fashion, synapse for synapse, so that the subject doesn't suffer from amnesia or a personality disorder immediately after rematerializing.

Floki said:
When we finally start living on mars i wonder what property laws will be like. How would you claim your property? Would people have allocated property, or would you have the right to stake out your property and take it for yourself?

Aso if you tried to shoot someone on mars, what would the effect be? The lack of wind resistance would make the bullet accelerate more, right? But the whole idea behind a mars colony is terraforming it to create a livable atmosphere... So with a similar atmosphere but reduced gravity, what would happen?

What would gun laws be like on mars?

These are the questions that keep me up at night.
HOMESTEAD ACT

Toad Eightyfive said:
cool beans, teleportation!

there's still the question of how consciousness would be affected by it, though. i mean, it's one thing to beam an apple or something, since because apples are inanimate you have more room for error. it's another to disassemble a working brain and reassemble it in exactly the same fashion, synapse for synapse, so that the subject doesn't suffer from amnesia or a personality disorder immediately after rematerializing.
Along with these concerns, it would make burglary much easier, if it gets into the hands of common folk.

Just like 3D printing

...this is why we can't have nice things

Baby Luigi said:
Just like 3D printing

...this is why we can't have nice things

i recently drew up a plan on BOB-CAD (a machining program) that allows me to manufacture most parts of an AR for no more than the price of materials.

1386821471349s.jpg

How can a ban on 3D printed guns be enforced? It sounds impossible.

But why the hell anyone wants a personal gun this badly, it's beyond me. Fine, keep one for yourself. Just keep it away from me.

well, 22, i don't actually care much for assault weapons! you can defend yourself with a handgun just fine, so i don't really care either way

i just think it would be cool for him to make it before it's impossible to do so
Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:
How can a ban on 3D printed guns be enforced? It sounds impossible.
that's because it is, unless they start tracking every 3d printer in existence
Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:
But why the hell anyone wants a personal gun this badly, it's beyond me. Fine, keep one for yourself. Just keep it away from me.
because personal defense and fight duh powur

Duskull said:
Looks like teleportation may become possible.

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/scientific-breakthrough-may-laid-groundwork-human-teleportation/613912/?twitter=yes&utm_content=buffer7ae65&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
When it is....damn...too many possibilities.

may i point out that the machining process is slow, tedious, and a pain in the ass

machining simply creates the individual components and still requires post-production assembly

and, finally, my father (who does most of the actual work) is a registered gunsmith (or something to that measure)

based on the post you quoted, which was about 3d printers, it seemed logical to assume you were talking about 3d printing

Floki said:
i understand and apologize for the confusion
3D printing can make it easier, on a related note. :P

Back