Sochi 2014

this opening ceremony is much better than london two years ago

england's was basically "hey we're western and stupid" and russia's is "we're deeply historical and grand"

china's was just "we can do pretty much anything", so beijing still beats sochi. but sochi is pretty impressive, i gotta admit.

TheYoshiState said:
Farkles14 said:
They really just played the Trololo song during the second presentation...

And you officially now have proof that even the IOC has adapted to internet memes and incorporated them into the Olympics themselves.

You know it was a real song, right?

Farkles14 said:
They really just played the Trololo song during the second presentation...
I was more interested in Khachaturian's Sabre Dance, personally.

my interest in music makes me love this performance, because russia chose to play every single awesome song by a russian composer

it's awesome

Wow, the last two sucked compared to this.

I was actually surprised considering the fact I've been reading @SochiProblems for the past few days. The Russian anthem sounds kind of...majestic (even though it's recycled from the Soviet era), and the parade of nations was really cool, especially the part where they have a country map on the floor and it looks like the athletes come straight from their homeland. Problem is, NBC is way too America-centered (I'm not un American or anything but this is the Olympics and all they really care about is filming team USA), and they skipped over like, five more countries. The part after than which showed the onion domes through a child's dreams was also pretty cool, and so was the "history of Russia in 5 minutes". Didn't get to watch the torch lighting.

Drift said:
Problem is, NBC is way too America-centered (I'm not un American or anything but this is the Olympics and all they really care about is filming team USA), and they skipped over like, five more countries.

Well, when I was watching the "parade of nations", CBC showed every country, even the ones that NBC didn't show (and all live!). Plus, even though CBC may be Canadian-centered, they will continue to show the event in it's entirety, even if the last remaining Canadian in that event looses, unlike NBC, who may go "And this is the last remaining American athlete in this competition...and he looses! Since there are no Americans left, let's cut away to another event where there still is an American."

I couldn't stop laughing when the fifth ring didn't open.

But other than that is was really good. Lots of stuff going on, very vibrant, colorful, and I loved the creepy demon girl lol.

Olaf said:
I couldn't stop laughing when the fifth ring didn't open.
I heard the Russians just switched to the footage of the last time it did work when they found out.

wow, I'm sigging that

In post-Soviet Russia, BROWSER STILL USE YOU!

And now they've literally just played the Addams Family theme song during figure skating... :???:

However, that's just as a bit striking as that one Simpsons episode where the family goes to see the 2010 Olympics and the "parade of nations" was done to the tune of the Ghostbusters theme...

Yoshidude99 said:
I was watching some of the skiing. The stunts the athletes pull are amazing.
I know, right?

Today I've done nothing but watching the olympics, and I gotta say; Norway did amazing today! Two gold medals, one silver and one bronze is pretty good for such a small nation! (Sorry if I seem a little cocky. I just get really excited when we win something, because these are, like, some of the few things we are actually good at)

PrincessOfPeaches said:
(Sorry if I seem a little cocky. I just get really excited when we win something, because these are, like, some of the few things we are actually good at)
i don't think that's cocky at all; it's good to be proud of your country

I thought figure skating was stupid until I watched it last night. And the ski moguls was pretty cool too.

Back