Sochi 2014

Watching the Olimpics is rather boring to me. I think I will just play Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olimpic Winter Games.

The Great Tongue said:
AND FENCING WHICH IS THE BEST SPORT EVER
Statistically I should be quite good at fencing.

^But will they really do it?

I don't know why they chose to hold the games in Sochi, first of all the unrest/terrorism in that area is pretty much like holding the Olympics in the DMZ. Also, if they want the games in Russia, what's wrong with Moscow and St. Petersburg which are synonymous with the word "cold"?

I hope nothing does happen at the Olympics though.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/05/world/europe/russia-sochi-winter-olympics/

57% of people in the US think there will be some kind of terrorist attack at the Olympics...I'm not sure myself considering while Russia needs enough security, they still want to show the rest of the world that the Soviet era is gone.

Drift said:

I don't know why they chose to hold the games in Sochi, first of all the unrest/terrorism in that area is pretty much like holding the Olympics in the DMZ. Also, if they want the games in Russia, what's wrong with Moscow and St. Petersburg which are synonymous with the word "cold"?

well in moscow's case it was probably because they hosted 1980

but then again that didn't stop london or tokyo, so...?

Farkles14 said:
Drift said:

well in moscow's case it was probably because they hosted 1980

but then again that didn't stop london or tokyo, so...?
Moscow/St. Petersburg are like the only two Russian cities known to people outside, but it wouldn't hurt to hold them in a semi-large place (like Salt Lake City in 2002), preferably farther away from the political violence.

Well, as you know, I live just a couple miles from the Canadian border and I'm able to get the local CBC affiliate and plan on watching most of the Games on there (yes, CBC is broadcasting the 2014 Games, a change from 2010 and 2012, when it was instead on rival CTV (just a side note for any Canadian members)).

every time someone mentions that a terrorist attack might happen at the olympics this year all i can think of is that "No Russian" mission from MW2

So...opening ceremony tomorrow. Judging by pictures on the internet, this might as well be the worst Olympics in history. At least the Mountain Cluster park looks good enough for sports.

Drift said:

Russia gave them a lot of money

Right now, the opening ceremony is in the "parade of nations" portion, if you're missing anything. As I type this, the Czech athletes are entering.

UPDATE: The Swedes have just entered, their hockey team should be pretty interesting to watch (particularly for at least me, Drift, BMB and SM), especially since quite a few Detroit Red Wings players are on that team.

UPDATE 2: The Russians are entering right now, concluding the "parade of nations."

>there ceremony already happened

fuck i was gonna watch that

NBC's showing it in the US at 7:30 EST.

olympics, man, all my shows are cancelled for commentary :P

back to streaming anime....

ok this floating isle thing in the opening ceremony looks like skyward sword

Back