Would you have wanted to play the original version of Luigi's Mansion?

GalacticPetey

Donkey Kong
As some of you may know, the beta version of Luigi's Mansion was very different. Here are some scrapped ideas:

• You originally had 24 hours to rescue Mario. If you didn't, you would get a game over and you would get a disturbing image of a depressed Luigi.
  • The Poltergust originally had a pressure meter. If you exerted too much pressure, the device would overheat and you would get burned
  • There was a originally a hunter portrait ghost who wanted to add Luigi's head to his collection.
  • There was originally a ghost that would appear and scream behind Luigi. This would scare him and cause him to loose half of his health.
  • Originally, the music would be come deeper and scarier when Luigi was low on health.
  • The rooms were going to have real-time changes in them.
  • The original theme tune was bleaker and creepier.

So it sounds like the original version of the game was much creepier and more challenging. I would've loved to have played this version. What about you?

screw the poltergust pressure gimmick and I would have played it

Yeah. Especially the time limit thing. Reminds me of Majora's Mask.

I never got to play the actual game, but I have seen a playthrough. All of those things would've interested me.

They seem like things I would like to play now but they would have driven me crazy as a kid.

• Champion Christmas said:
    • You originally had 24 hours to rescue Mario. If you didn't, you would get a game over and you would get a disturbing image of a depressed Luigi.

Nope. I'm not good with time limits. Same reason I never played Pikmin. Although if I knew Pikmin 2 had an unlimited number of days, I may have given it a shot.

• There was a originally a hunter portrait ghost who wanted to add Luigi's head to his collection.

That sounds rather interesting.

Luigi's Mansion doesn't take 24 hours to complete, though. It's really short.

Unless it's 24 hours by game time.

You originally had 24 hours to rescue Mario. If you didn't, you would get a game over and you would get a disturbing image of a depressed Luigi.

Say, is there anything to substantiate that or is it just taken from our (really shitty and speculative) beta page?

You didn't happen to source that from the wiki did you

When I was rewriting that awful page, I was interested in most of the scrapped ghosts and the concept of a 'darker' game. Apparently there were a few other ideas for mansions that were scrapped before development that seemed interesting, like a zen castle. The idea of multiple mansions was used in Dark Moon, but imagine if it was in the original.

edit: glowsquid beat meh

I like everything except for the overheating of the poltergeist and maybe the time limit, the hunter ghost and real time changes in rooms sounds really interesting. If only...haha.

That would be AWESOME except for the timelimit.. Because I always aim for 100% completion, so I may visit a room more than 5 times searching for money.

Kazooie said:
That would be AWESOME except for the timelimit.. Because I always aim for 100% completion, so I may visit a room more than 5 times searching for money.
That's what I did, too.

I finally got an A rank after years of owning this game (although I haven't gotten all gold frames yet).

well if it made the game longer/harder then yeah probably.

Game was so short and easy it was kind of a let down, dont get me wrong, i like the game, but the length and difficulty seemed like they could have been improved.

The Doctor said:
I finally got an A rank after years of owning this game (although I haven't gotten all gold frames yet).
If you don't have the PAL version and you are talking about the hidden mansion then o_O

The A rank is super easy IF you got all gold frames. Gold frames are way too easy, except for Boolossus (mostly because shadow not appearing with my emulator)

I heard that there is an unused Mario model in the game's files that possible was a boss. Fighting against a possibly possessed Mario would have definitely made the game more creepy than it originally was.

And yeah, I would so play the original.

PeskyPlumbers64 said:
I heard that there is an unused Mario model in the game's files that possible was a boss. Fighting against a possibly possessed Mario would have definitely made the game more creepy than it originally was.

And yeah, I would so play the original.

the game was never really creepy though.

Kazooie said:
The Doctor said:
If you don't have the PAL version and you are talking about the hidden mansion then o_O

The A rank is super easy IF you got all gold frames. Gold frames are way too easy, except for Boolossus (mostly because shadow not appearing with my emulator)
I'm talking about normal mode. I don't do Hidden Mansion because it's the same.

Back