Galaxy vs 3D World

What do you like better

• Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Super Mario 3D World

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
Moulder the Boulder said:
Why is it that people are all like "graphics dont matter" when somebody uses that as an argument for CoD or other games, but when it's a mario/nintendo game you praise the graphics a lot???
I like nintendo too, i'm just wondering.

Because these guys underestimate the importance of graphics in video games, that's why.

Why is it that people are all like "graphics dont matter" when somebody uses that as an argument for CoD or other games, but when it's a mario/nintendo game you praise the graphics a lot???

I think it's the context that matters. You quoted these people as if they're hypocrites, but I suppose these people make these "graphics dunt maeter" arguments in response to people praising COD solely for its realistic and detailed graphics.

Graphics play a big role in presentation, and they may be a significant difference between a rehash or not.

I often say that I don't care about how great of graphics a game has, but that' s not really true. I actually prefer old styled graphics of the 64 bit era and earlier than todays games. If they're new graphics, I don't care about them as much, but if they're old graphics, I get really excited to see them.

That being said, I'd love to see a new game where developers deliberately make it N64-styled polygons, but everything else has the quality of a more advanced game. :D

Mario Party X said:
That being said, I'd love to see a new game where developers deliberately make it N64-styled polygons, but everything else has the quality of a more advanced game. :D

Yeah there should be a game where characters get transformed into low poly

I voted Galaxy, for it's non-linear gameplay.

Dimitri said:
I voted Galaxy, for it's non-linear gameplay.
Have you played Super Mario 64? Because that's far more non-linear than Galaxy.

Protip: It's "its".

Super Mario Galaxy being nonlinear is like saying a cube has two dimensions.

Super Mario 64 and Sunshine had more explorable ground, but they aren't THAT nonlinear.

Baby Luigi said:
Because these guys underestimate the importance of graphics in video games, that's why.
please stop acting like those who don't care for graphics are uncultured philistines

i mean i can enjoy graphics in games but it's not a make or break thing at all, just more of an added bonus

Graphics can be the difference between an 8/10 and a 9/10, especially in a big-budget title.

Note the qualifying "can".

Where did I say or imply that?

you're talking like a difference between a 9/10 or a 8/10 is important to the average gamer

or maybe that's just what i got from your post, and you didn't mean that at all. if that's the case, i'm sorry.

Why did you build a strawman of my post? I said they "underestimate" the graphics. Sheesh,

Hawlucha said:
you're talking like a difference between a 9/10 or a 8/10 is important to the average gamer

or maybe that's just what i got from your post, and you didn't mean that at all. if that's the case, i'm sorry.

No, it's probably my vague wording.

What I said is that graphics can be the difference between a solid, but unimpressive game and a spectacular game. In my perspective, 8/10 = great; 9/10 = amazing. I wasn't thinking about reviewers (I don't trust them anyway unless they adhere to my opinion :P).

Baby Luigi said:
Why did you build a strawman of my post? I said they "underestimate" the graphics. Sheesh,
who exactly are the "these guys" that you're referring to

and also considering how much you've talked about graphics previously, i just figured that you would still be pushing the same "you guys should pay more attention to graphics" thing
Mario Party X said:
Hawlucha said:

No, it's probably my vague wording.

What I said is that graphics can be the difference between a solid, but unimpressive game and a spectacular game. In my perspective, 8/10 = great; 9/10 = amazing. I wasn't thinking about reviewers (I don't trust them anyway unless they adhere to my opinion :P).
Ah, I see. Yeah, I can totally agree with that. Graphics, to me, is one of those things that's like an added dessert after a delicious main meal.

(that was a totally ridiculous metaphor but i don't care)

Sure, I'm also relieved that you understand what I was trying to say. Your metaphor is delicious.

Hawlucha said:
Baby Luigi said:
who exactly are the "these guys" that you're referring to

and also considering how much you've talked about graphics previously, i just figured that you would still be pushing the same "you guys should pay more attention to graphics" thing

You still shouldn't build a strawman of my post because that's exactly not my opinion at all and it's not that easy to knock down.

And "these guys" is referring to "people" of Moulder the Boulder's post

I still am actually but whatever, this isn't worth arguing about.

So I picked up the game today and honestly, I think it's the best core Mario since the Galaxies, but not quite as good as them.

3D World is better than either Galaxies, but that stems mostly from my sister and my playing simultaneously.

Back