Halloween 2013

Yeah, some Christians are weird like that. Thank Zeus my parents were never like that.

I understand the desire to protect one's child from worldly influences, but it definitely gets ridiculous at times.

Especially the Anti-Pokemon people.

GOOD GOLLY, ITS A FREAKIN' KIDS' SHOW

Honestly its just funny.

the power of christ comepsl you

be silinced non-believers in holy water

Shoutmon said:
Bilbo Baggins said:
do to the fact that my parents are completely opposed to Halloween i've never really been able to do anything special on it

are your parents christians

are they against "celebrations of the devil"

christians who refuse to celebrate christian holidays because theyre "satanic" are always a good time. in elementary school i had a friend who had to leave the room if we were going to sing christmas carols. some of them mentioned santa claus, who (whom?) her parents considered a form of satan
well they are christians and they are against "celebrating evil"

they haven't been opposed to xmas though

I know there is a lot of extremist, just like there are in any group, but can we please stop with the dissing of Christians?

Most of us are not like that.

whos dissing christians? i was only talking about

Shoutmon said:
christians who refuse to celebrate christian holidays because theyre "satanic"

because that's ridiculous

Shoutmon said:
whos dissing christians? i was only talking about

Shoutmon said:
christians who refuse to celebrate christian holidays because theyre "satanic"

because that's ridiculous
what you're missing is that these christians are instead trying to have a "purer" christianity, free of the pagan influences such as halloween, santa claus, whatever

and they're instead trying to focus on the actual christian part of the holiday

i'm not saying that avoiding halloween and santa claus altogether actually accomplishes that goal, but that's their reasoning

just so you know

oh ok

i was just making sure you understood their point of view

what's so ridiculous about wanting your religion to be pure/unworldly? i don't see a problem with that

Shoutmon said:
Dr. Javelin said:
what's so ridiculous about wanting your religion to be pure/unworldly? i don't see a problem with that

my friend quite sincerely believed that things like celebrating halloween or reading harry potter or learning about evolution would cause one to instantly become an actual satanist and forfeit their soul. i still vividly remember the time he started screaming at me for mentioning the word evolution. i had no idea what he was on about, but he told me it was a swear word and i could never say it again. he wasnt the only one, either. actually, before i graduated from high school i'd say the majority of people i knew behaved that way

whatever the underlying rational justification for that behavior, in practice it's complete insanity. it's also self perpetuating insanity, since the people subject to it believe that even stopping to consider whether their behavior is rational is leaving the door wide open for the devil to get them

I knew a girl who started screaming in 3rd grade when the teacher said the next book she'd be reading to us is Harry Potter. The next day she brought in a note from her parents that explained something like "If she were to read or hear the words of the book her soul would be lost to Hell forever." I was like 8 at the time so the wording may be different but that's the gist. In 5th grade, the same girl suddenly started crying during one of our reading packet session things. Turns out she had accidentally read part of a story recounting an alien abduction and was convinced that she would now be going to Hell. The fact that this was her family's idea of "pure Christianity" does not deter the other fact that they were complete loony bins. There were also a few kids in my 4th grade class who were not allowed to come to school by their parents on Valentine's day because we would all be sharing Valentine's cards and candy. I can't remember if that girl was part of that, but I do remember that some of the reasons were one parent being afraid their kid would turn gay if given a card from another boy, and another was that the parents thought that being given candy would be a slippery-slope of temptation.

That was when I first learned what being gay was!

Politoed said:
the parents thought that being given candy would be a slippery-slope of temptation.

From Snickers to Satan...makes sense.

Shoutmon said:
Dr. Javelin said:

my friend quite sincerely believed that things like celebrating halloween or reading harry potter or learning about evolution would cause one to instantly become an actual satanist and forfeit their soul. i still vividly remember the time he started screaming at me for mentioning the word evolution. i had no idea what he was on about, but he told me it was a swear word and i could never say it again. he wasnt the only one, either. actually, before i graduated from high school i'd say the majority of people i knew behaved that way

whatever the underlying rational justification for that behavior, in practice it's complete insanity. it's also self perpetuating insanity, since the people subject to it believe that even stopping to consider whether their behavior is rational is leaving the door wide open for the devil to get them
okay, so people go overboard and overreact

but that's not really being pure in their religion, is it? because a real christian would follow the "in the world but not of it" ideal, which would mean that they couldn't rant about the devil in everything

Dr. Javelin said:
because a real christian would follow the "in the world but not of it" ideal, which would mean that they couldn't rant about the devil in everything

and "real Christians" would also not plant more than one kind of seed in a field or eat pork or get tattoos or get haircuts

That's an interesting choice. How are you going to pull that off?

I'm too sceptical about getting candy from complete strangers. It's too sketchy for my tastes.

And that part where you're supposed to give complete strangers candy just because they tried scaring you. Not my taste either. Candy is one of those things I don't like sharing.

Overall, I don't really like Halloween that much. Especially seeing as I doubt anyone has started selling weenies with halos over them that they would call Halloweenies.

Dr. Javelin said:

but that's not really being pure in their religion, is it? because a real christian would follow the "in the world but not of it" ideal, which would mean that they couldn't rant about the devil in everything

the point is that i'm not talking about people who want to purify their religion and i never was. you brought that up. i'm talking about people who blindly adhere to a doctrine they not only don't understand, but are unable to even try to understand because they think trying to understand is faithless and therefore a ticket to hell. as a consequence of their inability to think, they come up with nonsensical ideas about how catching sight of a carved pumpkin will make god hate you forever and then sincerely believe in them

Shoutmon said:
Dr. Javelin said:

the point is that i'm not talking about people who want to purify their religion and i never was. you brought that up. i'm talking about people who blindly adhere to a doctrine they not only don't understand, but are unable to even try to understand because they think trying to understand is faithless and therefore a ticket to hell. as a consequence of their inability to think, they come up with nonsensical ideas about how catching sight of a carved pumpkin will make god hate you forever and then sincerely believe in them

At the same time, you really shouldn't be calling someone crazy or stupid because they of their beliefs. It's their decision to believe what they do and how they follow their religion. There are people in the world that do a lot for religion, and just because you might not believe what they be doesn't mean that they are automatically wrong, or "faithless". I don't agree with it, you don't agree with it, but that would be like a catholic thinking a jewish person is a lunatic because they won't eat pork. It's just part of their religion.

So i'm not allowed to think that not eating pork for religious reason is ridiculous?

Xerneas said:
At the same time, you really shouldn't be calling someone crazy or stupid because they of their beliefs. It's their decision to believe what they do and how they follow their religion. There are people in the world that do a lot for religion, and just because you might not believe what they be doesn't mean that they are automatically wrong, or "faithless". I don't agree with it, you don't agree with it, but that would be like a catholic thinking a jewish person is a lunatic because they won't eat pork. It's just part of their religion.

"it's my belief therefore you must respect it" has never been a valid argument. dangerous beliefs are absolutely to be criticised, just as with any other dangerous practice. there is no comparison to the jewish practice because abstaining from eating pork is not a danger to anyone. also, i wasn't calling anyone faithless

Shoutmon said:
Xerneas said:

"it's my belief therefore you must respect it" has never been a valid argument. dangerous beliefs are absolutely to be criticised, just as with any other dangerous practice. there is no comparison to the jewish practice because abstaining from eating pork is not a danger to anyone. also, i wasn't calling anyone faithless

All I'm saying is that is that it would be annoying if you were being dissed for whatever you believed in, whether or not you think it is a little extreme. How is this a dangerous belief anyways? It's not really harming anyone, as they only refusing to do holidays and read anything that they believe contradicts their religion. It's not like they are being like "if you read evolution, it'll kill you, so we got to ban it from everyone!" It's their personal choice to not do it, and it's not like they are forcing you to do it.

I do agree that people that start to harm others, cruxifying others, and such should be a worry.

Xerneas said:
Shoutmon said:
Xerneas said:

All I'm saying is that is that it would be annoying if you were being dissed for whatever you believed in, whether or not you think it is a little extreme. How is this a dangerous belief anyways? It's not really harming anyone, as they only refusing to do holidays and read anything that they believe contradicts their religion. It's not like they are being like "if you read evolution, it'll kill you, so we got to ban it from everyone!" It's their personal choice to not do it, and it's not like they are forcing you to do it.

I do agree that people that start to harm others, cruxifying others, and such should be a worry.

filling children heads with lies in the name of religion, teaching them hate and intolerance from a young age, teaching them to isolate and exclude people different from themselves, teaching them to look down on others, all in the name of religious belief. yeah, not hurting anyone...

I'm not saying religion is bad, because there are religious people who are good, and there are many people who practice responsibly or who follow good reasonable practices, and there are many religious beliefs that are kind of silly, but dont really do any harm, like "dont have pork" or "dont eat fish on fridays" or whatever.

from what I read, this was never a discussion about "those things that dont really cause harm." this was a discussion about the blind following of beliefs that do, inherently, exclude and cause harm to the ones practicing it, the ones being forced to learn it, and the ones who are being directly harmed as an affect of people putting these practices into action.

just because someone holds a belief, and it is there belief, and the hold it unquestioningly, regardless of anecdotal evidence otherwise, doesnt make that truth valid. and it certainly doesnt make it not harmful.

also
Xerneas said:
. It's not like they are being like "if you read evolution, it'll kill you, so we got to ban it from everyone!" It's their personal choice to not do it, and it's not like they are forcing you to do it.

uhm... this is literally what the "extreme" ends try to do. Ever heard of banned books? taking their children out of school to prevent them from reading material? taking the books out of schools to prevent other peoples kids from reading the material? religions have always been about "if you read it, you'll go to hell! so lets ban it for everyone!" its just that the people who do it now days are a vocal minority in certain areas and a quiet majority in others, so we dont hear about it in the news as often as we used to, but it still fucking happens. by no means is it religion as a whole, but dont pretend it isnt a thing, and it isnt happening, and that it doesnt harm people who have nothing to do with the belief.

even if you hold to the misfounded belief that everyone has a right to their own belief and a right to take action under those beliefs, regardless of the validity of said beliefs, this doesnt give them the right to impose those beliefs on other people who hold different beliefs which may be equally valid or invalid, but equally their own. and the imposition of beliefs is what cause direct harm and the ripple affect resulting from it.

tl;dr, you're wrong.

Back