Hiroshi Yamauchi, third president of Nintendo, passes away

Red Barchetta

Talk less, smile more.
Not sure where the respective place was for this topic, but I'm assuming here.

Anyways, Hiroshi Yamauchi, who served as president of Nintendo from 1949 till 2002 and was credited for turning the company from a card-making company to a gaming company, passed away today at the age of 85 from pneumonia. Here's the article from NBC.

Rest in peace, Mr. Yamauchi, and thank you so much for what you've given us.

Rest in peace, Mr. Yamauchi. You will definitely be missed.

Rest in peace, they would be no gaming today if it wasn't for you.

Sad to hear such a wonderful man pass away. He is certainly a man I owe quite a lot of thanks too, and I'm disappointed to hear of this news.

R.I.P. Mr. Yamauchi you will certainly be missed, but never forgotten.

Rest in peace and may the afterlife forever bring happiness

Rest in peace, Mr. Yamauchi, Nintendo nor this forum would exist without you.

Yamauchi, you may be gone, but your legacy will live on.

Rest in peace.

Dean Winchester said:
Not sure where the respective place was for this topic, but I'm assuming here.

Anyways, Hiroshi Yamauchi, who served as president of Nintendo from 1949 till 2002 and was credited for turning the company from a card-making company to a gaming company, passed away today at the age of 85 from pneumonia. Here's the article from NBC.

Rest in peace, Mr. Yamauchi, and thank you so much for what you've given us.
REGGIE YOU'RE NEXT rest in piece you awesome man of a man.

This is a good time to post this video, explaining why his death should be a big deal:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/8155-Memorium

So many people associate Shigeru Miyamoto with Nintendo and "making video games what they are today", without realized that if it where for Yamauchi-sama giving him a go, being a relative unknown at the time, THAT wouldn't have come to pass, nor would the idea of pushing home consoles back when, in America at least, home consoles were viewed as just a fad and after the crash of 1983, toy stores wouldn't sell them anymore (Nintendo found a way around this by bundling the Nintendo Entertainment System with the Robotic Operating Buddy, or R.O.B.). So basically, it's not JUST that if he didn't exist, video games would be drastically different, it's possible that video games would exist at all! ...In the west, anyway.

I especially like the comparisons to Walt Disney.

Huh, he is kind of like Walt Disney. They're both strict on their workers.

So the current president of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata, reveals what Hiroshi Yamauchi said to him before he died... basically that if the Wii U failed, Iwata should kill himself:

http://www.p4rgaming.com/hiroshi-yamauchis-final-words-to-satoru-iwata-commit-suicide-if-the-wii-u-fails/

Um... wow... stern and harsh until the end...

I DO like this one comment, "He said that he would not be able to live long enough to see the PlayStation 4 come out which is the only good thing that death will bring." :P

Back