DragonFreak's Review Thread

I haven't played X or Y.....But I can do: Red/Blue/Green/Yellow, LeafGreen/FireRed, Gold/Silver, SoulSilver/HeartGold, Saphire/Ruby, or Platinum.

DragonFreak said:
I haven't played X or Y.....But I can do: Red/Blue/Green/Yellow, LeafGreen/FireRed, Gold/Silver, SoulSilver/HeartGold, Saphire/Ruby, or Platinum.

Oooh do either 1st or 2nd gens.

DragonFreak said:
Thanks. I put my soul into that. And whatever I had for breakfast. I think it was candy and cake.

So basically that review was edible as well as excellently executed? I'd be surprised if you didn't get people trying to eat it for the next couple of days.

DragonFreak said:
$10 to anyone who prints it off and eats it.

That getting struck out can only mean one thing...

...Someone's done that within two minutes of me suggesting it?

Waldotuber said:
Oh my god, someone understands my nostalgia! Thank you! Wario Land 4 is an amazing gem!

Not only is that oh-so true, that's also a pun. That's rather impressive.
I've actually not gotten to play too much of Wario Land 4 (about half of it), but what I did play managed to make me love the game and was what got me interested in the Wario Land series, so I hold it in high regard, personally.

For me its pure, unadulterated nostalgia. But it definitely is a good game despite my rose-tinted glasses.

Icemario11 said:
DragonFreak said:
$10 to anyone who prints it off and eats it.

That getting struck out can only mean one thing...

...Someone's done that within two minutes of me suggesting it?

Naw, it means I was joking.

I'm glad you two liked my review of Wario Land 4. I should probably also review Wario Land 3, after I review Red and SoulSilver, after I do about a dozen other things in the process.

Death Note

Who knew that boredom could lead to such excitement? One random day, a death god, or Shinigami, name Ryuk decided to do something completely unorthodox: leave his Death Note in the human world. Why? Because he was bored. This Death Note has the power to kill any human that is written on it. Such a tool would be horrible if found the wrong person.
Light Yagami, an intelligent student, finds the Death Note. At first, he is dubious on the Death Note's power, but when he used it on an actual person, he saw it was real. Light has a plan. He sees the world, and he sees it is full of crime. The world cannot possibly go on with all these evil humans. So with the Death Note, he kills criminals who have done wrong to cleanse the world of evil. He wants to become the God of the New World, one where everything is filled with good.
These killings of criminals are soon noticed. Soon, the International Police Organization are on the case to find who are behind these murders. Also, they have a brilliant and mysterious detective named L, who instantly becomes Light's nemesis. Light and L are intellectual equals, and the fight for what is truly right and wrong begins.

I have very mixed feelings about this anime. The first ten or so episodes are phenomenal. They are well thought out and suspenseful. Unfortunately, it doesn't stay that way. The anime soon grows dull and boring. People who have already seen Death Note probably know what I am referring to. All the things I loved in the first ten episodes are removed and replaced with things that are the total opposite.
The series does pick up again, with about five episodes to go. Sure, there is a few select episodes in between that are exciting and noteworthy, but as I said, there is only a few. In all 37 episodes, I only really enjoyed about 18 of those, which is less than half of them. Overall, the series is OK, but the fault of the plot in the midsection is very disappointing.

Rating: 6/10

Coming up:
Martian Successor: Nadesico
Pokémon Red
Pokémon Soulsilver
Wario Land 3

Martian Successor Nadesico

In the year 2196, Earth is a scientific superpower. They have developed colonies on both the Moon and Mars. Overall, everything was peaceful. But then they attacked. Fleets of unmanned drones that appeared from Jupiter attacked and captured Mars. These invaders wer named the "Jovian Lizards".
Years later, Earth is still fighting the Jovians. A boy named Akito Tenkawa once lived on Mars when the Jovians attacked. He somehow fled to Earth, but he doesn't know how, but is afraid of Jovians. He gets the chance to be a crew of the great battleship the ND-001 Nadesico, a ship designed to defeat the Jovians. The thing about the Nadesico is that all the trained military men that should be fighting are already enlisted and fighting elsewhere, which means that the Nadesico drafted some rather odd group of citizens.
Yurika Mismumaru is the captain of the Nadesico. She's a bit of a blond, although she shows that she is very capable of upholding her position. She was childhood friends of Akito, and is in complete love with him. Ruri Hoshino is a child prodigy who maintains the ship's computer. She lacks emotion, but is incredibly intelligent.
Megumi Reinard is the communications officer for the Nadesico. She shares common interests with Aktio as she doesn't like war and she just wants to be a cook. She constantly fights with Yurika for Akito's love.
Gai Daigoji is one of the only male child crew members aboard the Nadesico. He also shares an interest with Akito in that they both love the anime Gekiganger. The ships giant robots are based off of that anime, which pleases them both. Although his demeanor is angry and hostile, he fights well and is important to the crew.
The odds are severely stacked against the Nadesico to defeat the power Jovian Lizards. The fate of the Earth relies on Nadesico to pull through and win. A lot of pressure is riding on them. Everything they do determines life or death.

I'm not a big fan of space adventures. I think they are too cliché. Despite my preferences, I decided to watch this series.
Since most of the characters are hormonal teenagers, there is a fairly large romantic subplot, which adds to the character development and sometimes comedic relief. It's not bad at all. Sometimes the romantic subplots are annoying and doesn't contribute anything, but in some rare occasions, like this anime, it really works.
As I mentioned above, along with the ship, they have giant robots the resemble the anime Gekiganger. Gekiganger is a made up anime in which Akito and Gai are both completely obsessed over. It reminds me of the part in a Power Rangers episode where the Power Rangers come together and fight in a giant robot. It's sort of like that. Even the though the inclusion of Gekiganger seems sort of random, it evolves into something more. I'm glad of what the fake anime brings to Nadesico.
And third, there's this twist half way into the anime that changes everything. It's a huge spoiler, but that twist is arguably the best thing about it. And the episodes after the twist are much better than the episodes before it.
Overall, the anime may be a little cliché and sort of cheesy, but I had fun watching it.
Rating: 8/10 (although if you really like space adventures, increase this by 1 or 2)

df you should review Free!

Catching Fire

*Contains spoilers for The Hunger Games*

Katniss and Peeta has done the unthinkable and undoable by both winning in the 74th Hunger Games. By acting as star-crossed loves and threatening to both commit suicide by poisonous berries if they don't win together, the Capitol, and President Snow, was forced to step in and declare them both winners. And they are not happy about it one bit.
Katniss and Peeta have to on a countrywide tour through all 12 Districts, showing their faces and giving out pre-scripted speeches that do not mean anything. Here, Katniss notices something. There is a revolution brewing in Panem, and Katniss is the symbol of hope. In their first stop in District 11, Katniss says words of gratitude to Rue's family, which caused a riot towards the Capitol, leading to innocent people getting killed. Even in the rest of the Districts, when both Katniss and Peeta read directly from their notecards of their speech, they caused riots.
Because of this President Snow decided that Katniss must be eliminated, but something like execution would definitely lead to a full blown revolution. This year was the 75th Hunger Games, the third Quarter Quell. Every twenty-five years, a Quarter Quell is held, which these games will be unique and bloodier than usual. This Quarter Quell, a male and female tribute will be picked from previous victors of the Hunger Games. And Katniss realizes, that since she is the only female victor from her District, she'll be heading into another Hunger Game. The first one may have been tough to win, but now facing the killers of the winners of previous Hunger Games, winning will be much, much tougher.
Let the Games begin...again.

The first Hunger Games movie was decent. They stayed within the plot of the book well, and the visuals were well constructed. But if they kept with the same level of production, and not get any better, I was not going to like Catching Fire.
Let me explain. Catching Fire is my favorite book in the Hunger Game series. Reason why: it defines the series. The the first book/movie, the main problem is actually a sub-problem of the overview of the series. It's not until Catching Fire where you learn why the series is still being continued.
That's not all, another reason is that the Tributes in this Hunger Game are much better than the Tributes in the last one. And more important. Besides for Rue in the previous Hunger Game, Katniss and Peeta are the only two I actually I connected with. In Catching Fire, there are five Tributes besides Katniss and Peeta that I connected with. I wanted the movie produces to have good actors for those Tributes, and, for the most part, the actors did a good job with them.
Third, the arena in which they fight is exponentially times better. The previous Hunger Game arena was sort of generic, but this one was special. And once again, the movie excelled in constructing the arena. Much better than what I actually thought they would do.
Also, I should note that the movie definitely had one thing over the books. It is scenes told from President Snow's perspective. Since the books are in first person, you never do see President Snow's reaction towards the events, but I feel like those couple of seconds with President Snow were great. I always like seeing the villains reaction to the protagonist's actions.
Overall, it was a huge boost of quality from the last movie, which they had to do in order to impress me of being worthy of making Catching Fire beautiful. Great books, very nice movie adaption.

Rating: 9/10

Well, you've convinced me, someone who was put off watching the sequel after watching the underwhelming first movie, to watch the film now. Good job.

Inferno Revealed: From Dante to Dan Brown

Received through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers

The Divine Comedies, specifically The Inferno by Dante have been one of the most influential epic poems in all of history. The Inferno is about Dante himself being guided through the nine levels of Hell with his guide Virgil, so that he can enter Purgatory, and later, Paradise. Written about 700 years ago, the legacy of The Divine Comedies are still around and are used in today's culture. This nonfiction book is about why Dante's poem was so effective, how other authors/directors use Dante's ideas, and an in-depth analysis of the comparison between Dante's Inferno and Dan Brown's new book Inferno.
The first five chapters are about Dante's Inferno itself. You will learn the significance of Dante making himself the hero of his poem, the many real people in the poem that was known by Dante, and how events on Earth affect events in Hell.
The next four chapters are about how future authors and directors use Dante's ideas and themes, along with a full analysis of Dan Brown's Inferno.
If you want to learn more about Dante and his poem, this book will surely not disappoint you. You don't necessarily have to read The Inferno to read this, because the whole poem is retold through the first five chapters. The information is great, and one can really appreciate the legacy of Dante.

Rating: 8/10

Back