NINTENDO NEWS THREAD

Re: NINTENDO NEWS THREAD (RIP Satoru Iwata)

"Nintendo Account" has been officially announced at the Strategy Briefing. Basically a renaming of the NNID, with one major point:

Nintendo will use a cloud-based data service to transfer game data between mobile games and console games.

Launch date of Nintendo's smartphone games has been delayed. Launch will be March 2016, not year-end. Nintendo eyes global launch, depending on the game.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

The new smartphone game will be "Miitomo". It will be free to play, with attractive add-ons that people can pay for, Mr. Kimishima says. Others will be pay-to-download, he says.

Looks like Miis go ahead and communicate with other Miis without your knowledge. This will help people who are hesitant to talk about themselves to communicate with others, and reveal a side of your friends you never knew, Mr. Kimishima says.

well good news they announced it

bad news is that MIIS

Re: NINTENDO NEWS THREAD (some things got announced)

From the screenshots we've gotten so far it kinda looks like Tomodachi Life in some ways. Which could actually be a successful type of game on a mobile market. (Screw microtransactions though if they're the only way to get different clothes for your Miis)

Heck there is "Tomo" in the name so maybe it's intentional.

yeaaah this doesn't sound like the killer app they should be developing

Hm, I'm a little cautious about this. But at the very least, My Nintendo/Nintendo Account looks like to be a very worthy successor to Club Nintendo. From what they said, it sounds like you may not just get points for buying new games, but you may also get points by simply playing games! Imagine playing a whole bunch of Smash 4 and/or Mario Kart 8, and suddenly you have points to get some cool free stuff!

I'm a little excited, but at the same time a little scared. So I'm kinda in mixed feelings about it. But I think at the very least it should be quite profitable for Nintendo and prevent another situation like the Wii U drought in 2013.

Oh and for anyone who wants to see the translated presentation of all the news announced today, go here

Northern Verve said:
Heck there is "Tomo" in the name so maybe it's intentional.

tomodachi (or sth similar) means friend(s) on japanese.

Re: NINTENDO NEWS THREAD (RIP Satoru Iwata)

Paul Heyman said:
Nintendo will use a cloud-based data service to transfer game data between mobile games and console games.
So, it's like the iCloud?

About Miitomo, it is some kind of the successor/mobile version of Tomodachi Life.

from what i can gather about the new account system
-you get points for not only purchasing games (or applications for smart devices), but also playing them
-there'll be special notifications and gifts. examples provided were things like messaging mario kart players about add-on content or sending a message that enables a person to get some software at 'an attractive price point' on their birthday
-points can be used for digital add-on content, original merchandise, or a coupon that can be used to get new software
-theres a friend system. seems pretty straightforward, both people need to 'consent' to it. i'd assume it'd be similar to how nnids work
-there'll be a cloud system, which allows save data, such as character data, to be stored so they can be used in both 'dedicated game system software' and smartphone apps
-you can log in with your nnid, facebook, twitter, google, or email+password
-"This is also a plan for the future, but we are going to provide our membership service benefits in other real-life facilities such as theme parks, movie theaters and retail outlets."
-releasing in march 2016 with miitomo

as for miitomo... it seems more like an app than a game. everything i've read about it seems to make it out as a social communication app. these slides seem to explain the general gist of it:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/151029/slide/index.html?keepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=525&width=688

Click on the text for source said:
Since the launch of the Family Computer System (called Nintendo Entertainment System outside Japan) in 1983, Nintendo has been offering the world unique and original entertainment products under the development concept of hardware and software integration. In the field of home entertainment, the video game industry is one of the few industries established in Japan that spread around the world, and Nintendo has established itself as a well-known brand truly representing video game culture throughout the world.

With the belief in our mission to put smiles on people’s faces around the world through products and services, we have followed our basic strategy of expanding the gaming population by offering products that can be enjoyed by everyone regardless of age, gender or gaming experience. We now want to take this mission a step further by increasing the number of people who have access to Nintendo’s intellectual property (Nintendo IP).

We are actively offering Nintendo IP in a variety of different ways so that not only current players of our video games but all consumers – including those who used to play but currently do not and even those who have never played our video games before – will also come in contact with Nintendo IP.

For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a gaming platform codenamed “NX” with a brand-new concept and our unique software-led hardware-software integrated business will continue to constitute the core business for Nintendo. For the purpose of maximizing the population that interact with Nintendo IP, we will also enter into the smart device gaming business and aim to generate revenue and profit from it as well as to create synergy with the dedicated video game platform business.

As for other initiatives to use Nintendo IP actively, we launched a new product called amiibo – Nintendo characters that come in figure or card form that work with our video games. They have been well received by many of our consumers. Furthermore, our endeavors will not be limited to video games. We are planning to offer new attractions at theme parks by using Nintendo characters. We will also strive to further increase opportunities for consumers to come in contact with Nintendo characters in their daily lives, such as through visual content and merchandising.

Thus, we are now expanding how we leverage Nintendo IP in various ways beyond our traditional use of them predominantly within the dedicated video game platform business. Furthermore, in our attempt to establish a sustainable and continual relationship with our consumers, we are creating a new membership service called “My Nintendo” and a new account system, which should work as a bridge between our dedicated video game platforms and other devices, or even environments where our consumers can get in touch with Nintendo IP and, thus, will work as a mechanism to maximize the number of people that interact with Nintendo IP.

Nintendo will continue to flexibly transform itself by adapting to changing times while constantly valuing the spirit of originality based on the belief that the “true value of entertainment lies in its uniqueness” – and will continue to provide products and services that people will be surprised and delighted by.

Nintendo intends to make progress with the support and encouragement of its shareholders and investors.

DragonFreak said:
“true value of entertainment lies in its uniqueness”

inb4 another nsmb
I really hope that doesn't happen, especially considering the fact that we already have Super Mario Maker for 2D platforming.

DragonFreak said:
Iggy Waffles said:
DragonFreak said:
“true value of entertainment lies in its uniqueness”

inb4 another nsmb
Not for another year at least. I mean two NSMB games within the course of 3 months.
Three months??? What are you talking about????

Unless you count Mario Maker as a NSMB game. Which is weird.

I was reffering to NSMB2 and NSMBU which were between August and November 2012.

Re: NINTENDO NEWS THREAD [Nintendo Account Officially Opened]

https://accounts.nintendo.com/

okay mine's set up

now what

You can enjoy all the great features* that Nintendo has to offer currently

*there are none

could be something to do regarding nx and their testing it

no they're just setting up their new account shits

you can also pre-register for their new miitomo app

Chiaki Nanami said:
"This Nintendo ID cannot be used due to its country setting."

Fuck you, Nintendo.

wow rip

Chiaki Nanami said:
"This Nintendo ID cannot be used due to its country setting."

*bleep* you, Nintendo.
File a complaint?

Re: NINTENDO NEWS THREAD (MyNintendo Officially Live)

tried it for a bit

It's cute. So much better than club nintendo. Saving up for warioware touched because it's a portable 3DSVC version, so glad i waited on buying it on the wii u :ashley:

Got flipnote studio 3d as well. It's so gooood.

Arbitrary weekly coin limits aside i can see myself using this a lot so gj nintendo

Tried to download miitomo but damn that thing is actually fucking huge, my shitty phone ran out of memory trying to install the 'update' which is the actual game i presume

Back