Is looking at other player's split screen cheating?

Is looking at other player's split screen cheating?

• Yes

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I don't care

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

DragonFreak

Everything that drowns me makes me wanna fly!
My brother and I recently player Black Ops and were on opposite teams, and he accused me of looking at his split screen to figure out where he was and considered that cheating. I was, but I said it wasn't cheating. I figure, half the point of a split screen is to see the other player's (or players') screen. Any thoughts?

DragonFreak said:
I figure, half the point of a split screen is to see the other player's (or players') screen.
No, the point of a split screen is to let multiple people play on the same TV. If you two are on opposing teams, you should not be looking at each others screens.

It depends...

Vocal Beat said:
DragonFreak said:
I figure, half the point of a split screen is to see the other player's (or players') screen.
No, the point of a split screen is to let multiple people play on the same TV. If you two are on opposing teams, you should not be looking at each others screens.
Yes, that's the other half. Maybe I shouldn't have looked at his screen, but I always tend to shortcut things in the most efficient and effective ways.

Screen looking is indeed cheating.

When playing on the same tv however sometimes it can't be helped.

Nah, more than likely if you look at their screen you aren't concentrating on yours and may do something freaking stupid.

it depends on the game

if your playing something like cod then obv peek screening would just give away where theyre located and then you have an easy shot at them

but if your playing something like mario kart 64 it'll just be like "oh shit that guy is all the way there"

Minako Aino said:
but if your playing something like mario kart 64 it'll just be like "oh shit that guy is all the way there"
If a racer is right behind you and you look at their screen, you'll see
Minako Aino said:
where theyre located and then you have an easy shot at them

In Mario Party games, I look at my opponents' screen to see my opponents' progress. I don't think that's cheating. Besides, some minigames have a whole view of everyone doing things.

I legitimately voted "I do not care" simply because I can.

Nah, anyway, super srs mode aside, I wouldn't really say it's cheating per say, since it'll be the designer's fault anyway if other people can see your screen. It's your right as a consumer of said product to be able to look around the screen. Heck, he's moaning at you, while he very well might have been looking at your screen once in a while. Sometimes you can't help it.

The only time you should ever consider that you may have cheated in a game is if you alter the game's code with hacking devices and Gamesharks, stuff like that.

That's one of the most fun facts I've heard. :mario: When I was a kid back when we actually played split-screen games we always considered it cheating but now I'd probably say it isn't.

tbh, i think that whether or not it's cheating isn't especially important. i mean, i don't think what qualifies as cheating is really even a meaningful question in an informal game that has no real rules other than what's enforced by the game design. what you should be more concerned about is whether it's making the experience unpleasant for your brother. if it is, you should probably either stop doing it or find someone to play with who doesn't mind it

Depends. Is this a committed relationship? Or does your split-screen encourage you to see other people?

I pretty much agree with Bulbasaur. If the designers built it that way, it's not cheating, it's shoddy design. You can't be expected to partially turn off your field of vision, so looking at the other half of the screen can't be helped. Even if you don't look directly, you're gonna pick up things through your peripheral vision inevitably.

i dunno im too damn stupid to pay attention to my screen and someone elses at the same time.

Back