• Both

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters

Im Yoshi

My hobbies are eating, and saving the princess
Banned User
I've seen a lot of controversy over what galaxy game it's better.

Which is better? Galaxy 1 or 2?

Only played 1

Galaxy 2 has better galaxies and easier locatability of galaxies, not to mention ol' throwback galaxy

Galaxy 1 has better music and a better hub design, not to mention you get to see Rosalina easily

One, without a doubt. Two, I felt, lacked the "wow" factor the original one had, mainly due to there being not much new or fresh. Because of this, the game just feels like a cheap cash-in to me.

if you haven't played either it doesn't matter whether galaxy 2 doesn't feel too new or fresh, and, anyway, if it works and it's good fun, what do you need to change? definitely two. better level design, better mechanics (i.e. yoshi), other general improvements from the first.

While Galaxy 2 had some neat ideas, its major flaw was that they had too many. Which meant that there were too many galaxies and not enough levels per galaxy/concept. Some ideas would only appear for a couple of levels that really should have gotten more attention (Rock Mario, anyone?). It's incredibly linear, and a few Galaxies are taken directly from other games (or are otherwise uncreative). The hub sucked, a lot of the music was remixed, NPCs were even more bland and there weren't any stories or whatever in the galaxies... it was fun, but just not better than the first.

Awesome Koopa said:
One, without a doubt. Two, I felt, lacked the "wow" factor the original one had, mainly due to there being not much new or fresh. Because of this, the game just feels like a cheap cash-in to me.

Gundam Tanaka said:
While Galaxy 2 had some neat ideas, its major flaw was that they had too many. Which meant that there were too many galaxies and not enough levels per galaxy/concept. Some ideas would only appear for a couple of levels that really should have gotten more attention (Rock Mario, anyone?). It's incredibly linear, and a few Galaxies are taken directly from other games (or are otherwise uncreative). The hub sucked, a lot of the music was remixed, NPCs were even more bland and there weren't any stories or whatever in the galaxies... it was fun, but just not better than the first.

>too much new stuff
>not enough new stuff

take your pick

Galaxy 1 has a better soundtrack, but I would say Galaxy 2 because it has better level design, new stuff and is harder.

Joey Tribbiani said:

>too much new stuff
>not enough new stuff

take your pick

you know you quoted two completely different people, right...

SMG2 was so stupidly easy. Exact same problem I had with Twilight Princess.

I mean, it's somewhat enjoyable, but not really challenging.

Bowser's final level gives you, what, four Life Shrooms? Give me a break.

Bulbasaur said:
Joey Tribbiani said:

>too much new stuff
>not enough new stuff

take your pick

uh, yeah?

both of their points contradicted eachother

Nabber stated that there was too much new stuff being added, while awesome Koopa basically stated there wasn't enough new stuff being added

I actually like both Super Mario Galaxy installments. Sure both were different but kept the formula that made this batch of installments very popular.

Galaxy 1 is by far my favorite.

I had a lot more fun in Galaxy 1 than Galaxy 2 because it was much more true to the same settings as Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine, while I felt that Galaxy 2 got tainted by the NSMB formula in terms of exploring the worlds.

I also felt that while there were more galaxies in Galaxy 2, they were very short and level-like, while in Galaxy 1, you could actually spend a few star levels exploring the galaxies and really getting to know the planets there are.

Galaxy 2 also sucked with the Green Star thing - which was a big letdown. All it did was just waste 120 stars to find a star that is easily found in each world, and was just a waste of time. Galaxy 1 had at least 120 true stars, rather than going to 240, with a disappointing half of them just hide and seek.

I honestly was just disappointed in Galaxy 2 because of the fact that the level layout and stars were poorly done. Like, I wanted to explore the galaxies, not spend one or two times going in the area and then be done. I felt that it really took away from really seeing the open worlds, and it was just sad to see it.

The only thing I really liked about Galaxy 2 was the Yoshi addition, which I thought was a very nice addition. Plus, I thought with all the species and characters were a lot more developed in the 2nd, which made it better. Though, Lubba replacing Rosalina was a fail.

Joey Tribbiani said:
Bulbasaur said:
Joey Tribbiani said:

>too much new stuff
>not enough new stuff

take your pick

uh, yeah?

both of their points contradicted eachother

Nabber stated that there was too much new stuff being added, while awesome Koopa basically stated there wasn't enough new stuff being added

but they're different people

For the record, I voted Galaxy 2.

It had the Yoshis, which were just awesome. Plus Lubba is just adorable.

And while I haven't beaten either game, I've gotten farther in Galaxy 2.

I'd say the first one. It was my first-ever Wii game. I had basically never played even many GameCube games except Paper Mario TTYD. My last main Mario game I had played was SM64, and when I first got my hands on the Wiimote and Nunchuck in Gamestop one day, it felt like the future. Motion controls, and Super Mario 64 in space. Although not as old as many other games, Galaxy 1 is extremely nostalgic for me. Galaxy 2 was an excellent game, too, but it lacked the sense of "OMG MARIO IN SPACE" that the first one had. It didn't feel as new and exciting anymore, although I still enjoyed it and it is still one of the best Wii games out there. I like both of them, but Galaxy 1 is more innovative for its time, imo, plus nostalgia. I still wouldn't mind a Galaxy 3, though, I can't seem to get enough of Galaxy.

I just honestly think that Yoshi cannot save the game.

Like, I feel most people (mostly outside this forum) only like Super Mario Galaxy 2 over Galaxy 1 because it had Yoshi.

Back