Why do people hate Paper Mario: Sticker Star?

cryoAwakening said:
Well, it's just sad to think about some of the Mario series going downhill.

I mean, Mario Party was just destroyed by Mario Party 9's mechanic, and Paper Mario Sticker Star tarnished the name of the RPG series, even Mario Kart 7 brought down the series a bit with some of the stuff they did.

At least Mario & Luigi and the Luigi's Mansion series are all still very VERY strong.

Mario Party X said:
I can agree with the Dry Bones, but I prefer the adorable Buzzy Beetles over the glowing-eyed one any time of the day.

OMG, yes! I love how cute the Buzzy Beetles are in the PM series!

I wouldn't say that these series aren't going downhill yet. Both of these games are still just one game in the series, so to make a fair judgement if they're going downhill, you have to wait for more games.

It's funny how by around and after the 3DS came, we had Mario spinoffs with cruddy rosters, badly overhauled game mechanics, or simply bare (examples: Mario Sports Mix, Mario & Sonic at the London games, Mario Party 9, Mario Kart 7, Mario Tennis Open, and Paper Mario Sticker Star). There are Dark Moon and Dream Team, but that's later. Not to mention, even though it's just two games, New Super Mario Bros. seemed to saturate the Mario games (and they even pulled off a New Super Mario Bros. on Sticker Star. Shamelessly). I don't know how it could be related, but I thought I like to point that out.

The only designs I'd have New Super Mario Bros.-esque to are Dry Bones and Boo. Otherwise, Paper Mario should keep their original designs.

Oh, and considering all these design overhauls, I'm surprised that Mario didn't get one. You know, with blue eyes, actual legs, less bumpy hat, and slightly different head shape.

Comments in BOLD

Pyro said:
NSMB designs suck in my opinion. For comparison:

This
GoombaPMss.png
OK
to this.
GoombaDoomba_ThousandYear.png
Totally out of shape.

This
BuzzybeetlePMSS.png
It looks more like a Koopa and it's a more traditional anyway
to this
BuzzyBeetlePM.png
How do you call that a "beetle"?

There's really a huge difference in "flat versions of the NSMB enemies" to "cartoony paper redesigns that are extremely appealing".

Flat versions of NSMB designs make the enemies look more appealing while the cartoony styles are weird, here's an example:

PM-SPM

Hamma_Jamma.PNG
Seriously, a Hammer Bro with a wooden mallet, Koopa Troopa like-nose and shell, a wristband and red boots is seriously out of place

PMSS:

70px-HammerbrosPMSS.png
This is more accurate and doesn't look like it just put on some random junk.

I like more accurate designs too, but the only one I don't agree with is the Buzzy Beetles. I prefer Nintendo uses the Paper Mario design for the rest of the games. The only problem is that there aren't any other enemies other than the ones already in the Mario platformer games. C'mon where are the Clubbas, Clefts, Duplinghosts, etc?

cryoAwakening said:
even Mario Kart 7 brought down the series a bit with some of the stuff they did.

I can already tell Mario Kart 8 is gonna keep the Mario Kart series stronger than Mario Kart 7 did

Okay, you're arguing about what's more "accurate". For the Goomba, I don't see how it's out of shape. I like how it has its own style. I think it has more personality that way.

The New Super Mario Bros. Buzzy Beetle may more more "traditional", but I've always disliked that design. The red eyes and the feet make it look uglier and more menacing than the Paper Mario Buzzy Beetles.

The Hammer Bro. might be out of place in any other Mario game, but it's its own style, and I like seeing enemies get another style for once. Just as long as it isn't Dry Bones or Boo...

Basically, seeing an enemy in another style feels fresh, and sometimes, I wish the enemies adopted Paper Mario's design, especially the Buzzy Beetle. They did that in Mario Party 6 in Slot Trot, so you can't say that the design is restricted to Paper Mario.

Actually, I think all the Paper Mario enemies are better in their Paper Mario designs. Look at the Pokeys! They were Paper Mario-styled in the beta version! They just wanted to take out anything that might remind anyone of the past games, so they redesigned everything to look generic. Look at this:

Unique designs that fit well with the style of the game:
100px-GoombaDoomba_ThousandYear.png
100px-SUNGLASSESKOOPA.jpg
Paper_Dry_Bones.png
PMTTYD_Pokey.PNG

Overused designs that do nothing to differentiate the Paper design from the mainstream design:
GoombaPMss.png
Paratroopa.png
104px-DrybonesPMSS.png
PokeyPMSS.png

I said this already, but would you mind if Mario had the "accurate" appearance instead? Nobody argues about that. Yes, Mario has a distinctive look between Paper and other games. And I'm wondering, why did Sticker Star made "New Super Mario Bros." versions of the enemies while keeping Mario, Peach, Bowser, and Luigi the same? Weird.

Because they knew it would expose the game as being a NSMB ripoff disguised as Paper Mario. They had to keep the main characters designs to get people to think they were actually getting a good game.

^Not really, but I honestly don't know why they left their designs. But Luigi should have had a bigger role after his major role in SPM.

Maybe those characters are considered to be more "iconic" (i.e. representative of Paper Mario) than the enemies you encounter in the game?

I never really liked Dry Bones's Paper Mario design. Why does it have a human skull face? The other, more used one is much better

also dry bones has really weird coloration too.

Like the hands are a bit too white compared to the rest of the body aside from the outer rim of the shell.

Red shoes doesn't really add well with the rest of the design either.

I think the question is, why do some people still not know why people hate Sticker Star?

I'm pretty sure I've seen all the possible reasons people hate Sticker Star by this point. I still enjoyed it but every bodies points are valid, the game wasn't what you would expect from a Paper Mario game and it's decent if play it without comparing to the standard that's been set for the series.

It's one paragraph, read it asshole respectable human being.

His Excellency Lord Fawfulthegreat64 of the Beanbean Realm said:
Actually, I think all the Paper Mario enemies are better in their Paper Mario designs. Look at the Pokeys! They were Paper Mario-styled in the beta version! They just wanted to take out anything that might remind anyone of the past games, so they redesigned everything to look generic. Look at this:

Paper_Dry_Bones.png
PMTTYD_Pokey.PNG

Overused designs that do nothing to differentiate the Paper design from the mainstream design:
GoombaPMss.png
Paratroopa.png
104px-DrybonesPMSS.png
PokeyPMSS.png

First of all the Pokeys look more like a laughing cat than an actual cactus. Second Koopa Troopas look more like a punk rocker than an actual soldier of Bowser who doesn't wear accessories. Dry Bones look unfitting with red shoes, no arm bones, and a human skeleton head and the Goombas with red shoes and opened mouths are awkward as well as the eyebrow trims.

Because they knew it would expose the game as being a NSMB ripoff disguised as Paper Mario. They had to keep the main characters designs to get people to think they were actually getting a good game. ^Not really, but I honestly don't know why they left their designs. But Luigi should have had a bigger role after his major role in SPM.
Graphic art enhancement is only one kind of basic requirement I think. Since battle system and stories are more important, I don't mind seeing the same graphics.

Reusing the story formular similar with NSMB and the first Paper game isn't welcome for many reasons. Not only fans are tired of this, but in a full-length story Mario should have a bigger chance to call friends for help, unlike TTYD and SPP where Mario was mostly alone in an unfamiliar area. At least most Mario main characters made debut after the first Paper game.

I'd like to see other main characters playable like SPP, but maybe in the next WiiU installment.

Crackin355 said:
I think the question is, why do some people still not know why people hate Sticker Star?
Most games in a popular series are commonly judged. Sticker Star still has its own fun, though not as much as the predecessors'.

Crackin355 said:
It's one paragraph, read it asshole respectable human being.
no :luigi:

personally the the only "regular Paper Mario" designs I don't like are the Dry Bones and Hammer Bros

I like the Mario Boos much better than the Paper Mario Boos as well...

The Paper Mario Boos just look too menacing for me. They look like they're always mad.

For me the Boos are adorable.

Red Boo said:
First of all the Pokeys look more like a laughing cat than an actual cactus. Second Koopa Troopas look more like a punk rocker than an actual soldier of Bowser who doesn't wear accessories. Dry Bones look unfitting with red shoes, no arm bones, and a human skeleton head and the Goombas with red shoes and opened mouths are awkward as well as the eyebrow trims.
The Koopa Troopa's sunglasses aren't meant to signify soldiers of Bowser...look at SPM, where all the Bowser-aligned Koopas didn't have sunglasses. Bowser didn't even send out Koopa Troopas as troops in TTYD - it was Hammer Bros., Magikoopas, and Koopatrols. The sunglasses are supposed to signify non-alignment, in my opinion. Or at least aligned with the Koopa Bros., who are the "coolest of the cool", so their mooks would predictably have "cool sunglasses".

The Pokeys just look weird in the picture, they're not really laughing in-game. But who ever said Mario games had to design a spiky enemy close to a cactus?

I can't really say anything about the Dry Bones.

The Goomba's design is better than NSMB's design in every way - it looks more cartoonish, less menacing, weaker, and more comic.

Red Boo said:

Paper_Dry_Bones.png
PMTTYD_Pokey.PNG

GoombaPMss.png
Paratroopa.png
104px-DrybonesPMSS.png
PokeyPMSS.png

Well, if you prefer safe and boring, Paper Mario isn't the series for you (well now it is, but you know what I mean).

Sorry for an unnecessary bump, but...

I actually thought this game was seriously boring after just one playthrough. Sure, the concept of stickers was unique, but it was tedious to run out of them and the scrapbook space was a horrific idea. While I think they did improve on enemy designs, it still doesn't make up for the trash this game was.
4/10. The only reason it's getting that is because it was fun before the post-game, which in reality is nothing. Period.

Oh, god. That last post I made makes me cringe.

Why did I ever think Dry Bones and Boo's PM design were better?

I actually tried to defend this game when it first came out and I head it heavily criticized it since I was that kind of fanboy who cannot take that kind of hate. I really wanted to like this game and wanted to be optimistic and I was actually having a good time with it throughout the first world since I was trying to enjoy it. I noticed this game started getting seriously average from the second world and was really board since nothing new was being introduced, poor level design was everywhere and the lack of a story really showed, I was stuck in boredom from that point onwards. The more I think about this game and compare to the standards of other games, this game feels much more worse to me.

I'm really the opposite of a mario RPG fanboy, I don't think mario RPGs are that great with the exception of TTYD, I don't understand any praise that the M&L games get at all and I never played past chapter 3 of OG Paper Mario because I got bored. SPM was decent at best. However Sticker Star was genuinely enjoyable both the times I played it to completion.

honestly i havent played it but there is something that is refraining me from playing it and its the battle system.

it seems rather limited and a bit clustered and to top it off fighting doesnt really serve much purpose, which i think is really bad design.

If there is one thing i want in an rpg of any kind its an enjoyable battle system with lots to do with it.

lol i was asking about where the heck the original enemies went

now i don't like, care at all :babyluigi:

Back