The geography of Tiny Huge Island makes no sense.

Watt64

Goomba
You know Tiny Huge Island from SM64? Well, can someone explain to me how the geography is supposed to be?

I mean, there's water on some sides of the island, but then it just ends. And on some sides there is no water. Just a bottomless pit. So how exactly does that work? Serious answers, please.

level design without a focus on realism

If we're going to talk about geography, then explain Rainbow Ride to me.

Purple Yoshi said:
If we're going to talk about geography, then explain Rainbow Ride to me.

raaaaainbow bridge away!!!!!!!!!

To be blunt, my peers - respectable as they may be - who are making statements along the lines of "this is a video game and as such there is no neccessity to explain how certain apperantly impossible geographic formations came to be" are simply taking the easy way out of this actually quite interesting question. The truth is that if you actually sit down and put a bit of thought into this it is not a difficult feat at all, let alone impossible, to explain the systems via which Tiny Huge Island not only is an entirely logical site, but also how it would be possible for such formations to exist in real life.

Magic.

I know it's not supposed to be realistic, but this is the only course that makes no sense to me. Why does the sand underneath the water just fade away, and why is there only water on two sides of the island? The way it looks just boggles my mind...

maybe because the developers ran out of space to include a whole map in the game instead of just the island

super mario 64 originally was an open world game with a map the size of the planet earth

they had to cut a little under 100% of it out because of space shortage

that's what Nintendo should do next

an MMO where you can travel Mario's world

and maybe a dimension traveller where you can go to hyrule, dreamland, fire emblem land, kid icarus land, Pokemon world, metroid world, etc.

the more stuff you find, the easier the adventure will be for you

Groden said:
super mario 64 originally was an open world game with a map the size of the planet earth

they had to cut a little under 100% of it out because of space shortage
This shit wouldn't have happened if they had just used CDs like everybody else.

fire emblem land
wtf is that
anyway, the reason they made tinyhuge island like that is propbably because they didn't have time to add ocean all around the island.

Watt64 said:
I know it's not supposed to be realistic, but this is the only course that makes no sense to me. Why does the sand underneath the water just fade away, and why is there only water on two sides of the island? The way it looks just boggles my mind...
Yet, you're fine with giant turtles kidnapping mushroom princesses.

I'd imagine that Tiny-Huge Island is on the edge of a waterfall, the water you see on one side is part of a river flowing into the bottomless pit on the other side. Or it could be something like Beach Bowl Galaxy.

Nintendo made an endless pit in that area just to increase the "scariness" of Windswept Valley

Vocal Beat said:
I'd imagine that Tiny-Huge Island is on the edge of a waterfall, the water you see on one side is part of a river flowing into the bottomless pit on the other side. Or it could be something like Beach Bowl Galaxy.

That's exactly what I had imagined! :)

Watt64 said:
You know Tiny Huge Island from SM64? Well, can someone explain to me how the geography is supposed to be?

I mean, there's water on some sides of the island, but then it just ends. And on some sides there is no water. Just a bottomless pit. So how exactly does that work? Serious answers, please.
taking things way too seriously again i see

It's not that scary to me which is why I put it in quotes :P

Viridi said:
Watt64 said:

taking things way too seriously again i see

What? :mad:

Back