Boston marathon explosions

What a relief. I'm glad they haven't killed him.

Hopefully now they can get some answers from this guy.

First game at Fenway Park is about to begin since the Boston bombings.

Boston Bruins are also playing in Boston for the first time since the bombings. Celtics will be playing for the first time since the bombing later this afternoon in Madison Square Garden.

17801_10151575869575831_611793141_n.jpg

Oh, for gods sake, this seems too bloody convenient. I mean, russian-born immigrants who turned to radical Islam? It's like every American enemy put into two people.

I'm not saying it's not true, it definitely is, but I fear what the repercussions of this will be. Like, say, hating all non-Americans? 9/11 already brought our culture backwards by a few decades. Distrusting immigrants is the obvious outcome - and the absolute wrong thing to do. I mean, this isn't the 1920's!

Purple Yoshi said:
Oh, for gods sake, this seems too bloody convenient. I mean, russian-born immigrants who turned to radical Islam? It's like every American enemy put into two people.

I'm not saying it's not true, it definitely is, but I fear what the repercussions of this will be. Like, say, hating all non-Americans? 9/11 already brought our culture backwards by a few decades. Distrusting immigrants is the obvious outcome - and the absolute wrong thing to do. I mean, this isn't the 1920's!

Russian Muslims need not apply.

Just reminding you guys, please be careful what you say here. You don't want to accidentally make it offensive.

Purple Yoshi said:

So are you saying it's bad to distrust peoples who already wish to kill us?

I'm leaning more towards the radical Islamics, though some of the Russians aren't too big fans of America themselves.

Agent Smith said:
Distrusting immigrants is the obvious outcome - and the absolute wrong thing to do. I mean, this isn't the 1920's!

Immigrants as a whole do not want to kill you.

Agent Smith said:
Purple Yoshi said:

I'm leaning more towards the radical Islamics, though some of the Russians aren't too big fans of America themselves.

I'm saying if people start distrusting ALL people who aren't fully American because "Well, those guys who did the Boston Maraton bombings were Russian immigrants, so all immigrants must secretly be terrorists!"

And I know most people won't actually SAY that, but a lot of their thinking comes down to that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/21/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-awake_n_3129188.html

"Tsarnaev is being treated for a gunshot in the mouth that exited the back of his neck, according Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis, who was interviewed on CBS' "60 Minutes."

He also suffered a gunshot wound to the leg, Davis said."

Purple Yoshi said:
Agent Smith said:

I'm saying if people start distrusting ALL people who aren't fully American because "Well, those guys who did the Boston Maraton bombings were Russian immigrants, so all immigrants must secretly be terrorists!"

And I know most people won't actually SAY that, but a lot of their thinking comes down to that.

Now, now, we are not like that. Our country is completely made up of Immigrants. Yes, there's lot of controversy over illegal immigrants, but that has to do with how they get benefited rights without even being apart of the country.

I would not be surprised if the media do make some big deal over the immigrants being the bombers, as they already have. In WWII, many Japanese American people thought to be supporting Japan and the Axis countries were put into containment camps for awhile. Though, it was [thankfully] short-lived, and America doesn't show any signs of ever letting that happen.

The media really like to stir up emotions about immigrants to make more money and have higher ratings, yes, but do you think that the bulk of America hate ALL immigrants? I know that there are a lot of mixed feelings about certain types of immigrants during stuff like this, but it's not like it doesn't blow over after awhile.

It's a little strong to say that America is the same as it was in the 1920's, because it really isn't. Do you seriously think that people are just all of the sudden going to hate all immigrants because of this act of terrorism? I mean, hell, 9/11 has affected how Americans view some races in the Middle East, but do you see people throwing commotion at anyone that has Middle Eastern backgrounds walking around the streets? No.

Likewise, it's also a little strong to say that even if we don't act upon it we still hold prejudice thoughts. I'm pretty sure that everyone has prejudice thoughts about something from time to time, but assuming that all Americans think that all immigrants are terrorists, then you got that WAY off the mark. There are many problems that we face as a country, yes, but we shouldn't be automatically labeled as a horrible country over something like this because people "assume" that we think a certain way. Nor should we think that all other countries are better or worse than any other countries. Everyone has their flaws, but don't try to make it look like you're trying to outline a specific country as a condescending racist group of people.

Anyways, back to the topic.

I really am glad that they caught the person. There has been a lot of debate with people I know about how he will be sentenced.

First off, there's argument about whether it will be state, federal, or military. If the President uses his Executive powers to outline the person as terrorists, then it will be a military case, and most likely end with any kind of death sentence. If it ends up federal or state, it could either be death sentence or life sentence to a maximum security prison where he'll be watched day in and day out.

But, it all depends on what the President decides. I mean, it seems like the fact that it'll be a trial is just...awkward. Like, America is centered around the fact that "innocent until proven guilty", but I'm sure that it will be a very interesting case to see.

In Australia, we don't have the death penalty. It's very strange looking at America like that.

Anyway, the guy is probably going to get the death penalty. I just want to know a motive before they kill him.

Purple Yoshi said:
In Australia, we don't have the death penalty. It's very strange looking at America like that.

Anyway, the guy is probably going to get the death penalty. I just want to know a motive before they kill him.

Most countries don't have the death penalty.

Purple Yoshi said:

He will likely not get the death penalty. In fact, if he is tried as a civilian in the State of Massachusetts, it is impossible. This is because Mass. is among the 17 states without a death penalty.

The Spice Melange said:
Purple Yoshi said:

He will likely not get the death penalty. In fact, if he is tried as a civilian in the State of Massachusetts, it is impossible. This is because Mass. is among the 17 states without a death penalty.

That is so messed up.

Purple Yoshi said:
The Spice Melange said:
Purple Yoshi said:

That is so messed up.

How?

Back