Best RPG

What in your opinion is the best Mario RPG?

• Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Paper Mario

• Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

• Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Super Paper Mario

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (you think it will be the best)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • none of them

• all of them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
So which RPG is the best? I could have sworn I already saw a thread about this, but I went down the Marioverse stuff a long way and couldn't find it, so I'm doing a poll. This one expires in exactly 30 days.

Thousand-Year Door is gonna win the poll

But you know what? I voted for Partners in Time

I'd say, Partners in Time.

Why?
Super Mario RPG took 12 years to finally get released over here, which make many people not care about this game anymore, as releasing SNES games in a Wii era is like selling a Pentium II PC in the year 2037.
Paper Mario is a good candidate, but I never managed to beat it.
Superstar Saga was good, a great world, and such. It used to be my favourite.
Thousand-Years Door is a game I want to play some day, but even now, a second hand costs € 60,- everywhere, which is even more than a brand new GCN game costed, back then. I don't want to pay so much for a second hand game, as I'm not supporting anyone by doing this.
Partners in Time added lots of interesting mechanics, not seen in Superstar Saga. It made SS put on the second place. Only to bad PIT was so linear.
Super Paper Mario is not even a true RPG game, move on!
Bowser's Inside Story made me go like, "Nintendo, really, that's enough.", I didn't like the idea of being inside Bowser, controlling him all the time like a friend, and then end up battling him.
Sticker Star had a unique concept of not attacking, but using Stickers in battle only, but it didn't feel alright. The battles were way to easy and linear, this way.
Dream Team isn't even out yet, so let's skip that one.

It can't be Miyamoto; he would have voted for Sticker Star

I'll say TTYD is my favorite out of all of those; I've had so many memories with that game, and I loved nearly everything about it.

However, Partners in Time is my 2nd favorite overall. I loved the humor, the fact that you had 4 characters, the concept of Bros. Items and it was just a great game.

It was hard, but I picked Super Paper Mario(sorry Bowser's Inside Story).

...How the hell did Sticker Star manage to get more votes than both Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario?

Virion said:
Solar Blaze said:
...How the hell did Sticker Star manage to get more votes than both Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario?
probably the only game some of these people have played.

I love SMRPG though.

i like super mario rpg too, but i just really like sticker star.

SPM - Tonnes of Bowser, an entire world based on the Greek underworld and the Divine Comedy, lots of plot (with some refreshingly somber elements), interesting NPCs, lots of extra backstory stuff (the Pixl uprising, etc.), and I personally preferred the sidescrolling to tedious turn-based battles and level-grinding...

M&L:BIS is a close second (Bowser, Fawful, the ease at which you can read way too much into the script), followed by PM:TTYD (great story, great dialogue) and then M&L:SS (a really fun game with awesome NPCs).

To be honest, you can't really say a game is best just because your favorite character shows up a lot.

But I agree SPM is very underrated.

Walkazo said:
SPM - Tonnes of Bowser, an entire world based on the Greek underworld and the Divine Comedy, lots of plot (with some refreshingly somber elements), interesting NPCs, lots of extra backstory stuff (the Pixl uprising, etc.), and I personally preferred the sidescrolling to tedious turn-based battles and level-grinding...

M&L:BIS is a close second (Bowser, Fawful, the ease at which you can read way too much into the script), followed by PM:TTYD (great story, great dialogue) and then M&L:SS (a really fun game with awesome NPCs).

I completely agree with this, as it's my reasoning as well.

From the ones I've played, TTYD is my favorite, followed by Paper Mario. SPM and BiS were alright but I didn't enjoy them as much as the other two. I haven't played Superstar Saga enough to form a good opinion on it, and I haven't played the others at all.

NSY said:
To be honest, you can't really say a game is best just because your favorite character shows up a lot.
Yes I can, if they're my favourite character because they make games better thanks to their personality and the dialogue and plot points it generates.

For example, Fawful's dialogue is a huge part of the charm of M&L:SS - without him, it wouldn't be as good a game, and same with M&L:BIS. Similarly, Bowser getting the starring role in BIS allowed for vastly different scenarios than the other M&L games, since instead of silent protagonists who do the right thing because it's the right thing to do, you're also playing as a grumpy, delusional, boastful villain motivated by rage, greed and pride; it's no question which role's gonna be more interesting. Admittedly, SPM didn't make use of Bowser as well as BIS did, but his dialogue was still entertaining, and I absolutely loved Peach's reaction to his heroic sacrifice, which wouldn't have been nearly as interesting if it had been over anyone else.

Panne said:
whoever voted sticked star needs a crowbar to the head.

Because fuck the fact other people have opinions, yours is clearly superior.

Back