Nintendo discontinuing select online services for the Wii

-----

the coolest dude ever
Pronouns
he/him
http://mynintendonews.com/2013/04/12/nintendo-discontinuing-select-online-services-for-wii/

This won't really affect me, but I dunno why Nintendo wants to discontinue. The Wii isn't even close to being dead yet.

Probably because of the company's interest with the Wii U now. Besides, the Nintendo Channel doesn't seem to recognize any of the newer DS titles, such as Pokemon White Version 2, implying its eventual discontinuation.

The Virtual Console is the only one of those I truly care about, anyway, and even that hasn't had anything worthwhile added to it in over three years.

Solar Blaze said:
The Virtual Console is the only one of those I truly care about, anyway, and even that hasn't had anything worthwhile added to it in over three years.

where is the virtual console mentioned?

The Virtual Console was mentioned in that article among the services that they're still continuing.

I don't use those channels away.... Well, except for Nintendo Channel. I'm going to miss that... But then again, they'd just post news and stuff on the Wii U, so, makes sense.

Glad Wii Shop is still in effect, I was planning to buy more games from there... Like World of Goo.

This News is the reason why I started to use my Wii as a hobby toy.
I turned it Japanese, American, European, and Australian, in only one day.
It turned out to be useless, as now my Mario Kart Wii disc is corrupted.

So, the games I downloaded will still be playable, right? I just won't be able to buy new ones? (which sucks I've been planning to buy A Link to the Past and some other titles).

And you won't be able to connect to wi-fi for Mario Kart or Smash Bros. or anything anymore?

Virion said:
And you won't be able to connect to wi-fi for Mario Kart or Smash Bros. or anything anymore?
Someone tell me this is isn't true.

They can't block any game you've already bought, that's for sure, so don't worry about A Link to the Past to become unplayable at some point.

Bowser45 said:
Virion said:

The affected applications are as follows:

- Nintendo Channel
- News Channel
- Forecast Channel
- Everybody Votes Channel
- Mii Contest Channel
- Data exchange with Wii Friends via WiiConnect24*

* Exchange of Wii messages on the Wii Message Board, exchange of Mii characters on the Mii Channel and message/data exchange within some games will be disabled.

From 28th June 2013, the above services will no longer be available even if they are started up from the Wii Menu. However, services other than those mentioned above, such as the Wii Shop Channel and “Today’s Accomplishments” on the Wii Message Board, will remain available.

I was a little frightened there for a second because I really hope to buy Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2. the third doesn't seem to please me to much, I guess it is because it doesn't feature diddy and donkey kong as playable characters. But as long as the Wii shop is not affected I am fine.

Baby Luigi said:
Bowser45 said:
Virion said:

The affected applications are as follows:

- Nintendo Channel
- News Channel
- Forecast Channel
- Everybody Votes Channel
- Mii Contest Channel
- Data exchange with Wii Friends via WiiConnect24*

* Exchange of Wii messages on the Wii Message Board, exchange of Mii characters on the Mii Channel and message/data exchange within some games will be disabled.

From 28th June 2013, the above services will no longer be available even if they are started up from the Wii Menu. However, services other than those mentioned above, such as the Wii Shop Channel and “Today’s Accomplishments” on the Wii Message Board, will remain available.
Ok good,that article really isn't clear wich is why I wasn't sure.

Well this is directly from the article: I'm just highlighting for your own convenience.

YoshiGo99 said:
I was a little frightened there for a second because I really hope to buy Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2. the third doesn't seem to please me to much, I guess it is because it doesn't feature diddy and donkey kong as playable characters. But as long as the Wii shop is not affected I am fine.

i thought those were removed from the wii shop?

Fred said:
YoshiGo99 said:

i thought those were removed from the wii shop?
Why would they be?

Nintendo doesn't remove games from the Wii Shop Channel/eShop as far as I know.

YoshiGo99 said:
Boy do I have some bad news for you.

Oh wow, this sucks. I always loved the Check Mii Out Channel and Everybody Votes Channel, and especially the Nintendo Channel. This is a real shame.

What exactly do they mean by discontinued though? Will the channels stay up, or will they be taken down?

Back