Finding Dory

I honestly don't see what the problem with sequels is anyway.

Well, it's kinda like a rule that movie sequels are usually worse than the original movie. There are a few exceptions (such as Star Wars, The Godfather, Lord of the Rings, Toy Story, etc.), but I'm speaking in general terms. And there are some movies such as the Incredibles that are left with a cliffhanger that should get a sequel.

Fair point. I think people should stop assuming that sequels are bad though. If you walk into a movie expecting it to be bad, its gonna be bad. It depends on your point of view and the assumptions you take with you. There are only a few movies I can think of that are truly bad movies.

The problem is that too many sequels are bad movies. It also gives a sense that the director is milking the franchise. Sequelization is a hit and miss procedure; you either end up with a great movie that really adds onto the original or crap that looks like milking. Sadly, the latter is the case for most sequels.

Baby Luigi said:
you either end up with a great movie that really adds onto the original or crap that looks like milking.

...And either way you make a shitton of money if you're sequelizing an already popular movie. Quality may be hit-or-miss but box office success is a guaranteed hit.

To me, the lack of sequels was one of the many things that set Pixar apart from Dreamworks and what they did with their franchises. Shrek(6 movies), How To Train Your Dragon(3 movies), Kung Fu Panda(3 movies), Madagascar(4 movies), the list goes on.

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, Dreamworks made some good movies, but they do seem to be way too focused on sequels.

Also, could this be applied to video games? Nintendo hardly ever creates a new ip.

Garlic Man already said earlier that you shouldn't compare movie sequels to video game sequels

The Undertaker said:
FindingDoryLogoTemp_small-620x348.jpg

Disney's press release said:
I have waited for this day for a long, long, long, long, long, long time,” said DeGeneres. “I’m not mad it took this long. I know the people at Pixar were busy creating ‘Toy Story 16.’ But the time they took was worth it. The script is fantastic. And it has everything I loved about the first one: It’s got a lot of heart, it’s really funny, and the best part is—it’s got a lot more Dory.”

Director and Pixar veteran Andrew Stanton takes audiences back to the extraordinary underwater world created in the original film. “There is no Dory without Ellen,” said Stanton. “She won the hearts of moviegoers all over the world—not to mention our team here at Pixar. One thing we couldn’t stop thinking about was why she was all alone in the ocean on the day she met Marlin. In ‘Finding Dory,’ she will be reunited with her loved ones, learning a few things about the meaning of family along the way.”

According to Stanton, “Finding Dory” takes place about a year after the first film, and features returning favorites Marlin, Nemo and the Tank Gang, among others. Set in part along the California coastline, the story also welcomes a host of new characters, including a few who will prove to be a very important part of Dory’s life.

the official release is november 25th, 2015

Not in Australia.

Won't be as good.

Yes, that was a very petty comment, but for me, the best part of Finding Nemo was the fact that is WAS in Australia, without using really stupid stereotypes.

Christian Brutal Sniper said:
i read about this earlier and thought it was an april fool's joke... but then it's 2 april

i guess pixar is just going to regress to sequel making now

edit: imho incredibles is most deserving of a sequel, but maybe they're just incubating that one. i hope so, because i want to see a second good incredibles movie.
Agreed I love the Incredibles.

Baby Luigi said:
Garlic Man already said earlier that you shouldn't compare movie sequels to video game sequels

Well, not in terms of artistic quality. But in terms of using a franchise as a cash cow, sequels serve the same purpose in movies and video games.

To me, the lack of sequels was one of the many things that set Pixar apart from Dreamworks and what they did with their franchises. Shrek(6 movies), How To Train Your Dragon(3 movies), Kung Fu Panda(3 movies), Madagascar(4 movies), the list goes on.

Wait, How to Train Your Dragon and Shrek got that many movies? I thought Shrek only got 5 movies (including Puss in Boots) and How to Train Your Dragon got 2 (one coming next year). I may be wrong, though, but that's what I thought.

Gundam Tanaka said:
Kung Fu Panda is supposed to be a 6-part series, apparently.

Jesus Christ. I honestly never found much excitement in that series. It just seems that people love movies with anthropomorphic animals.

MCS said:

Wait, How to Train Your Dragon and Shrek got that many movies? I thought Shrek only got 5 movies (including Puss in Boots) and How to Train Your Dragon got 2 (one coming next year). I may be wrong, though, but that's what I thought.

I'm including upcoming movies. HTTYD 2 and 3 are already planned, Puss in Boots 2 is also already confirmed.

To be fair, Dreamworks also usually releases a new IP each year along with their sequels. This year is Me and My Shadow or something.

Yeah, and they usually suck ass.

I said 'usually,' do you not read

And RotG isn't exactly stellar either

I'm including upcoming movies. HTTYD 2 and 3 are already planned, Puss in Boots 2 is also already confirmed.

Wait, they confirmed a sequel and threequel for HTTYD? And Puss in Boots 2? That might be good, actually.

MCS said:

Wait, they confirmed a sequel and threequel for HTTYD? And Puss in Boots 2? That might be good, actually.

Of course they did. HTTYD was one of the first genuinely Pixar-quality Dreamworks movies. And now they're going to milk it as much as they can. They already made a TV series for it.

I have a grudge against that movie due to it being the literal polar opposite of the book.

Back