Why do spinoffs never have RPG characters?

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
I noticed that none of the spinoffs like Mario Kart contain characters from the RPGs... Why is this?

Personally, I think that many of them are pretty memorable. Fawful is my favorite, obviously. Dimentio is cool too, so is Count Bleck, Grodus, Lord Crump, Cackletta, Popple, the Shroobs...I also realize Geno is pretty popular, although I have not played SMRPG.

I have become attached to many of these characters, but they just seem to disappear after one or two games. I'd love to see them appear in a spinoff or two, what do you think?

Pinkie Pie said:
there has been one rare occurance

Snow_Bunnies_6.png
That was just an item, plus it's likely the similarity was just a coincidence. The Star Spirits' return in Mario Party 5 is a better example, but I don't believe they appeared again after that. What I'd like to know is why Nintendo does not include RPG characters in the Mario cast. It's like,
*Fawful is suggested for Mario Kart*
Nintendo: Seems like a good candidate.......wait, he's an RPG character, MUST REJECT.

The RPGs seem like they're a mile apart from any other continuity in the Mario franchise. With the other spin-offs, it's very much possible to reconcile them with the main canon, whereas the RPGs have built up their owns worlds and lore that'd be harder to fit.

The very first premise is, spinoffs mostly use recurring Mario characters, and most RPG characters are not at all, not to say those enemies who deceased in the endings. However, one problem is whether the staff should had put other recurring characters instead of creating unnecesarry characters in RPGs.

One factor is that many major characters in RPG series have a long backstory, and only those players who bought these games can know what the characters are. For example, we can play as Vivian only if we've known that she's from X-Nauts, and X-Nauts have to be a recurring force in Mario series. So it's very difficult for most RPG characters to be in spinoffs.

The available cases are those who can deserve to be recurring characters in Mario series, to me Fawful does. The other case is playable species issue.

kat-rin koopa said:
The RPGs seem like they're a mile apart from any other continuity in the Mario franchise. With the other spin-offs, it's very much possible to reconcile them with the main canon, whereas the RPGs have built up their owns worlds and lore that'd be harder to fit.
Well, If Nintendo put nothing with the Mario world fans know, they shouldn't expect fans to buy it.

SPP might work because it happens in another world which doesn't have to be restricted by mainstream games.

kat-rin koopa said:
That certainly hasn't stopped Donkey Country Country characters from appearing.

I don't mind someone who's been in more than one game and has played a decent part in more than one game (like Fawful), and but anyone else, no.

To answer the question, mainly because it might not feel right.

Crystal said:
nintendo doesnt like rpg characters apparently
Yeah, but why? Gawd, they have some awesome backstories! So what if Fawful died? I seem to recall Bowser getting hurled into the sun in Galaxy!

maybe licencing issues? i imagine it would take some sort of dealing with squeenix to get geno and mallow. some goes for alphadream with the M&L games and intelligent systems with the paper mario titles.

just a theory.

Baby Peach was likely created for Yoshi's Island DS, and PiT's release date just happened to fall first. That explains why she has more appearances.

Geno for mario kart wii u please!

Smithy in a mario kart game would be cool as well.

Geno said:
Geno for mario kart wii u please!

Smithy in a mario kart game would be cool as well.

I do believe Nintendo has worked with Square-enix in some recent titles, so it's not completely ruled out...

Alpha dream+Square enix=head explosion

Fawful and Smithy join forces=SMRPG sequal

After what Nintendo did to Paper Mario: Sticker Star, I can safely say that they don't really give a damn of Mario games other than their own.

Sabrina said:
it would be weird to suddenly bring characters like geno or mallow back
Even though Nintendo tried to add some new characters to spinoffs, spinoffs mostly use recurring Mario characters as the majority of rosters, and obviously those partners are not.

It's indeed nice to see Geno/Mallow come back, but only after a reasonable new story to explain how they come back and get in touch with Mario. Honestly, if they deserve to get in, they should had already got in Mario Golf or Mario Tennis 64.

Sabrina said:
it would be weird to suddenly bring characters like geno or mallow back

they actually tried to bring back geno in m&lSS, although they did get in some trouble because of that.

Though geno didnt really have a role, he was still in it.

i probably wouldnt mind them being brought back if i actually liked them.

Although I'd be dandy with any paper mario or m&l characters being brought in.

Though it will never happen I'd love to play as Dark Bowser in a Mario Kart game.

Back