Votes: 7 10.3%
  • It was okay

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Disappointing, expected it to be much better

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I hated it

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
My prediction: The story involves The Toad Brigade Captain somehow being in stuck in another workd and in the end of the normal game you got to go there and play the speedrun levels and after you beat these you unlock Rosalina AND SUPER MARIO GALAXY LEVELS WOOT OMGZORZ YES WOOT WOOT

Anybody notice the Super Mario kart themed level? I thought that looked pretty cool myself.

I already knew that Rosalina was going have a cameo in the game or somthing, but I didn't think she would be playable. Every trailer they come out with for this game, I get even more hyped every time.

Beetleking said:
Tanooki Rosalina.

video_989834b.jpg

Well, this does look very stupid, but hey, all characters look stupid in their Tanooki suits. I guess her Fire Suit will make up for it.

Whoa...

I seriously did NOT see that coming! Now let's just hope this game matches the Galaxy games in content.

Rosalina can use the star spin, too! Maybe I can actually trick myself into thinking this is Galaxy 3.

She is an unlockable character, but there's not any information yet about how to unlock her.

Baby Luigi said:
I like Rosalina, but I don't like the decision to put her over other established characters such as Toadette, Daisy, Wario, or Waluigi.
Rosalina has more character development than any of those other losers, except for Wario and he doesn't really appear in Mario games anymore.

Rosalina has basically sealed my purchase for this game. < 3

Man, my friends want to go out and see Catching Fire on release day when I just want to stay inside and play Rosalina U... but also see Catching Fire. First world problems.

Baby Luigi said:
I like Rosalina, but I don't like the decision to put her over other established characters such as Toadette, Daisy, Wario, or Waluigi.
I disagree. Rosalina has been in the series for six years now, which is a long time mind you, and her first appearance fleshed out her character more than any of those characters in their entire history (bar maybe Wario, so we'll put him aside.) Think about it, in her first game they fleshed out her personality and a backstory through her interactions with Mario and the library scenes. Compare that to the other characters you mentioned:
- Daisy had only a small handful of platformer appearances and was just a damsel in distress / object / obtainable / etc in them. Everything else was just a party game face with all the personality you can fit into the line, "Hi, I'm Daisy!"
- The others haven't had much more than just being party game faces. We basically know Waluigi as being a mischievous dude but that's essentially the only bit of personality or history we know from him. Toadette doesn't have anything other than being a happy character who just looks like Toad.

Why do you think they are more established or more deserving of an important role? I mean, people like Rosalina because she is essentially the most human character in the series and they want to see more of her because of that. Sure they can flesh out the other side characters a bit more but is 3D World the time to do that? Would they ever bother? Why haven't they done it already?

/words

>everyone goes apeshit over minor character being shoehorned into a game

god, that animation is awful

i mean, i guess otherwise i don't have much of a problem with her... but again, it feels like they're trying to put her into every game possible now? she feels out of place to me

Ema Skye said:
Why do you think they are more established or more deserving of an important role?

people like to think that because they've been around longer. my take on the characters:
daisy and toadette have had no real display of any unique traits that could be used in gameplay, so it would be hard to implement without having them clones of one of the already included characters
wario is definitely established, but the problem with him is that the games he stars in have very different gameplay to the mario platformers (or at least from what i've played of his games)
waluigi appearing would be a dream come true, but even i have to admit that he has the same problem as daisy and toadette in that there just isn't enough to build off of in order to make him unique from the other characters

Ema Skye said:
Rosalina has basically sealed my purchase for this game. < 3

Man, my friends want to go out and see Catching Fire on release day when I just want to stay inside and play Rosalina U... but also see Catching Fire. First world problems.
at least you'll be able to do either one soon

Rosalina confirmed! That is both incredibly awesome and it makes total sense. It's like using the Super Mario Galaxy controls in 3D World! Plus it actually makes sense that she has the spin, considering that ability comes from the Lumas.

As for people wondering why it's her and not, say, Wario, this IS made by Nintendo EAD, right? The people behind the Galaxy games? It's only natural they would put a character from their own game in it.

No doubt Rosalina will be the best character because of her spin attack. Being able to attack regardless of what state she in would be a huge advantage.

All this makes the game seem like a cousin to the Galaxy games and that's pretty interesting.

Ema Skye said:
- Daisy had only a small handful of platformer appearances and was just a damsel in distress / object / obtainable / etc in them.

Omg...after having to look up like so many articles for my research paper, I really hate looking at those words now...

Anyways, Daisy could have a little more establishment in terms of characterization, but it's not her fault, it's Nintendo's. I do feel that she deserves more of a backstory besides in Super Mario Land. She has basically been demoted to Waluigi status, where she is the secondary princess to Princess Peach that appears as another appealing female option to play as in spin-offs. It is quite sad because Daisy can have more potential to be in a main game sort of situation, but unfortunately she has not been given that opportunity yet.

Toadette is somewhat in the same boat, though she got a good appearance in TTYD. She mainly is just the female version of Toad, thus another female [almost] purely for spin-offs as a women choice. Would love to see her and Daisy both in a main Mario game, just as I would love to see Waluigi appear in a main game of either Mario or Wario.

With Rosalina though, I'm very happy that they are doing it with her. She is a very developed character, and with this and Mario Party 3DS, it will be her 6th appearance. In that time, she was one of the main NPC in SMG and a major cameo in SMG2, a playable character in Mario Kart Wii and 7 (and even had a course), and now potentially a host/cameo in MP3DS and playable in a main 3D Mario game. She is also the only female "princess" in the Mario series to not have been captured by an evil villain [yet]. She has one of the most detailed backgrounds of all the Mario characters throughout the series, and it was in a mainstream Mario game rather than in a Mario RPG where it is usually expected.

Now, do I want Daisy to be playable in a main Mario game? Yes. Do I want to see Toadette at least appear in a main Mario game? Yes.

However, what they are doing with Rosalina is a step in the right direction. I feel like everything they are doing with this game has been a step in the right direction. They are coming up with more original bosses after all those sad disappointments, Peach is actually the one saving someone instead of vise versa, and we get another famous Mario character playable. Not to mention the fact that many levels are actually inspired from/by other Mario series (Mario Kart, 3D Open World Mario, etc.). These past 8 years have basically been games (MP9, Sticker Star, etc.) that have been influenced by the Mario platformers, but now there is a lot of things from other games. A step in the right direction.

Something tells me that this really is going to be a turning point for many Mario games after the NSMB suffering. I feel as though we are going to start seeing more of the lovely classics like Super Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy 1 and less of the NSMB stuff. At least, one could hope.

Nabber said:
>everyone goes ape*bleep* over minor character being shoehorned into a game

god, that animation is awful

i mean, i guess otherwise i don't have much of a problem with her... but again, it feels like they're trying to put her into every game possible now? she feels out of place to me
Um what? Rosalina makes sense

So... it's not an exaggeration to say that Rosalina is a very cosmic welcome :dk:

But in all seriousness, really glad she's here. It's like a love letter to Galaxy fans.

Rosalina's inclusion was a big surprise, since I was thinking more about Yoshi or Wario. However, chances are, you might have to snatch every Green Star first before using her.

MnSG said:
However, chances are, you might have to snatch every Green Star first before using her.

Perhaps you need to do that in all the main world levels and beat them all to unlock her.

Back