Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

So, a few news from this stream (and other PAX streams as well, in the case of the first point):
  • there is indeed a level 3 Mini-Turbo, denoted by purple sparks
  • the stats are different, now Mario + Standard Kart + Standard Tires + Super Glider has 3.5 in all menu stats except speed, where he has 3.75
  • there is also an "Auto-accelerate" function for beginners
  • there are "Skilled Items" as possible Items choice in the various menus

800px-MK8DX_Character_Roster.png

Thank the Stars! Gold Mario must be an alt costume, then.

Mister Wu said:
So, a few news from this stream (and other PAX streams as well, in the case of the first point):
  • the stats are different, now Mario + Standard Kart + Standard Tires + Super Glider has 3.5 in all menu stats except speed, where he has 3.75

Good, they changed stats of characters. I hope it will make lightweights viable and nerf heavyweights. And if they could fix the accelerations tiers as well, that would be great.

Wow they actually changed character stats? And possibly balanced items by letting you hold two at a time?

Looks like this game might be worth getting, unbalance was the one thing about Mario Kart 8 that I didn't like and this game might fix it. The new actually-pretty-decent-looking battle modes are just icing on the cake.

Mister Wu said:
  • there is indeed a level 3 Mini-Turbo, denoted by purple sparks
  • there is also an "Auto-accelerate" function for beginners
  • there are "Skilled Items" as possible Items choice in the various menus

This does ask the question on how the stats will change between weight classes though. And this also means that the vehicle parts will see a stat makeover as well.

Now, since the in-game stat total adds up to 17.75 this time, I tried to theorize on how the stats could be spread between weight classes.

Feather (Category 1) - Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Baby Rosalina, Lemmy, Small Mii
Body Frame: Small
Speed: 3/6
Acceleration: 4.25/6
Weight: 2/6
Handling: 4.25/6
Traction: 4.25/6

Feather (Category 2) - Baby Luigi, Baby Daisy, Dry Bones, Isabelle
Speed: 3.25/6
Acceleration: 4.25/6
Weight: 2/6
Handling: 4/6
Traction: 4.25/6

Light (Category 1) - Toad, Koopa Troopa, Toadette, Larry
Speed: 3.25/6
Acceleration: 4/6
Weight: 2.5/6
Handling: 4/6
Traction: 4/6

Light (Category 2) - Shy Guy, Lakitu, Bowser Jr., Wendy
Speed: 3.5/6
Acceleration: 4/6
Weight: 2.5/6
Handling: 3.75/6
Traction: 4/6

Mid-Light (Category 1) - Peach, Cat Peach, Yoshi, Villager Girl
Body Frame: Medium
Speed: 3.5/6
Acceleration: 3.75/6
Weight: 3/6
Handling: 3.75/6
Traction: 3.75/6

Mid-Light (Category 2) - Daisy, Iggy, Inkling Girl, Villager Boy
Speed: 3.75/6
Acceleration: 3.75/6
Weight: 3/6
Handling: 3.5/6
Traction: 3.75/6

Medium - Mario, Luigi, Tanooki Mario, Ludwig, Inkling Boy, Medium Mii
Speed: 3.75/6
Acceleration: 3.5/6
Weight: 3.5/6
Handling: 3.5/6
Traction: 3.5/6

Cruiser - Rosalina, Waluigi
Body Frame: Large
Speed: 4/6
Acceleration: 3.5/6
Weight: 3.5/6
Handling: 3.25/6
Traction: 3.5/6

Mid-Heavy - King Boo, Donkey Kong, Roy, Link
Acceleration: 3.25/6
Weight: 4/6
Traction: 3.25/6

Metal - Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach
Acceleration: 3/6
Weight: 4.5/6
Traction: 3/6

Heavy - Wario, Bowser, Dry Bowser, Morton, Large Mii
Speed: 4.25/6
Acceleration: 3/6
Weight: 4.5/6
Handling: 3/6
Traction: 3/6

Excluding the Miis, most of the weight classes would have four characters representing them. The only exceptions are Medium, Cruiser, and Metal, with Medium having 5 characters, while Cruiser and Metal have 2 characters each.

Again this is just speculation on my part, but it's pretty much the most balanced way to set up the stats between weight classes.

J-Yoshi64 said:
800px-MK8DX_Character_Roster.png

Thank the Stars! Gold Mario must be an alt costume, then.

I thought this was beyond obvious.

With miis being obviously the ones taking the last slot , it was no wonder that ''Gold Metal Mario'' was just a recolor of Metal Mario.

Besides , if he was his own ''character'' , that would mean another character row because all the other spots are taken so it's not so bad.

I heard from somewhere that Arms is from the Mario Kart team. If this is true, then they didn't have time for a MK9.

GmanSir said:
I heard from somewhere that Arms is from the Mario Kart team. If this is true, then they didn't have time for a MK9.
That was the Famitsu interview of MK8 director, he directed both games (MK8DX and Arms) at the same time. It must be said that, considering how much time is needed to create new characters and locations with the quality seen in MK8, it was clear that a new Mario Kart in 3 years was difficult to make. Unless they went the handheld route again, basing in the future the next home console Mario Kart on the new handheld installment, just like MK8 was heavily based on MK7.
Judging by the changes in MK8DX (especially the stats rebalancing) I think that even the handheld route is quite unlikely now.

Talking about stats, unless they used the principles of MK64 (lower weight = better handling, acceleration and max speed), lightweights are even more in danger, since the Middleweights gained 4 points in acceleration (and likely in Mini-Turbo as well) and 1 point in Handling, only to lose one point in Weight.

Actually is the other way around.

Handheld games are based on the home console games.

MK64 = MKSC

MKDD = MKDS

MKWii = MK7

Mister Wu said:
Talking about stats, unless they used the principles of MK64 (lower weight = better handling, acceleration and max speed), lightweights are even more in danger, since the Middleweights gained 4 points in acceleration (and likely in Mini-Turbo as well) and 1 point in Handling, only to lose one point in Weight.
my guess is that they did it to make middleweights more.. well, in the middle, in terms of stats. they'll probably make the penalties on acceleration and handling greater for heavyweights, and likewise make the bonuses in those stats for lightweights a lot better.

Swiftie_Luma said:

MK64 = MKSC

MKDD = MKDS

MKWii = MK7
You'd be surprised at seeing what the similarities are in terms of game engine and game's code.
MKSC is based on SMK, to the point that the same Mini-Turbo exploits of SMK work in MKSC.
The probability system of MKW, in both tables layout and the concept of 3 different types, of which only one is found in the game's code, is the same of MKDS. Even the order of the tables is pretty much the same.
MKDS also introduced the 7.something max speeds, which we saw again in MK7 and MK8. The acceleration system of MKDS is also similar to that of MKW, judging by the stats.
MK8 is so obviously based on MK7 that some stats tables were recycled (Land Speed and Weight are literally the same tables, with only the default values changed) and all the actual stats of MK8 have a counterpart in MK7, the headers used in MK7 helped me discover rapidly what most of the stats do in MK8 (although the On-Road Traction was a "novelty", basically they put normal road as off-road in MK8 and gave it its own SlipRt value). Another example? The order of the items in the probability tables of MK8 is the same of MK7, and we can even see which item replaced which:
Super Leaf → Piranha Plant
Lucky 7 → Super Horn
Test3 → Boomerang Flower (this is interesting, the slot was already in MK7, but unused)
Test4 → Coin (same as above)
The Crazy 8 was added in the end since there were no longer item slots available.

Anyway, in this case I'm referring explicitly to MK8, which is definitely based on MK7.

also according to the guy on that stream, all the characters are unlocked from the start, but kart parts still need to be unlocked

Nyrie said:
my guess is that they did it to make middleweights more.. well, in the middle, in terms of stats. they'll probably make the penalties on acceleration and handling greater for heavyweights, and likewise make the bonuses in those stats for lightweights a lot better.

The stat total between weight classes would still have to be exactly the same though.

Mister Wu said:
Swiftie_Luma said:

MK64 = MKSC

MKDD = MKDS

MKWii = MK7
You'd be surprised at seeing what the similarities are in terms of game engine and game's code.
MKSC is based on SMK, to the point that the same Mini-Turbo exploits of SMK work in MKSC.
The probability system of MKW, in both tables layout and the concept of 3 different types, of which only one is found in the game's code, is the same of MKDS. Even the order of the tables is pretty much the same.
MKDS also introduced the 7.something max speeds, which we saw again in MK7 and MK8. The acceleration system of MKDS is also similar to that of MKW, judging by the stats.
MK8 is so obviously based on MK7 that some stats tables were recycled (Land Speed and Weight are literally the same tables, with only the default values changed) and all the actual stats of MK8 have a counterpart in MK7, the headers used in MK7 helped me discover rapidly what most of the stats do in MK8 (although the On-Road Traction was a "novelty", basically they put normal road as off-road in MK8 and gave it its own SlipRt value). Another example? The order of the items in the probability tables of MK8 is the same of MK7, and we can even see which item replaced which:
Super Leaf → Piranha Plant
Lucky 7 → Super Horn
Test3 → Boomerang Flower (this is interesting, the slot was already in MK7, but unused)
Test4 → Coin (same as above)
The Crazy 8 was added in the end since there were no longer item slots available.

Anyway, in this case I'm referring explicitly to the MK8, which is definitely based on MK7.

Ah i see. You were talking about the stats and etc.

I never knew it had that kind of relation.

I was refering to how the games seem to take assets from , but i totally misread your post.

I hope the Monster and Hot Monster tires will get better stats, but I also hope that the Roller and Wood tires won't get worse since those two tires are the ones I use the most.

Pink_Gold_Peach said:
I hope the Monster and Hot Monster tires will get better stats, but I also hope that the Roller and Wood tires won't get worse since those two tires are the ones I use the most.

All that I know is that the acceleration stat differences can't be too drastic between weight classes, since if the lightest characters get 5/6 acceleration when using the standard parts, then the other vehicle parts can't have more than +0.25 acceleration; this would heavily hurt the stat diversity, considering that 5.75/6 is the stat maximum.

I could probably theorize some possible vehicle part stat changes...

Body Group 1
All Stats: 0

Body Group 2
Speed: 0
Acceleration: +0.25
Weight: -0.25
Handling: +0.5
Traction: -0.5

Body Group 3
Speed: +0.75
Acceleration: -0.75
Weight: +0.25
Handling: 0
Traction: -0.75

Body Group 4
Speed: +0.5
Acceleration: -1
Weight: +0.5
Handling: -0.5
Traction: +0.5

Body Group 5
Speed: -0.5
Acceleration: +0.5
Handling: +1
Traction: -0.25

Body Group 6
Speed: 0
Handling: +1
Traction: -1

Body Group 7
Speed: +0.25

Body Group 8
Acceleration: -0.5
Weight: +0.25
Handling: -0.25
Traction: +0.25

Body Group 9
Acceleration: 0
Weight: 0
Handling: +0.75
Traction: -0.75

Standard
All Stats: 0

Monster
Speed: +0.5
Weight: +0.75
Handling: -1.5
Traction: +1

Roller
Speed: -0.5
Acceleration: +0.75
Weight: -0.5

Slim
Acceleration: -0.25
Weight: 0

Slick
Speed: +0.75
Acceleration: -0.75
Weight: +0.5
Handling: -1
Traction: -1

Metal
Weight: +0.75
Handling: +0.25

Wood
Speed: -0.25
Acceleration: +0.5
Handling: +0.25

Sponge
Weight: -0.5
Traction: 0

Cushion
Speed: -0.25
Handling: -0.25
Traction: +0.5

Swiftie_Luma said:
Ah i see. You were talking about the stats and etc.

I never knew it had that kind of relation.

I was refering to how the games seem to take assets from , but i totally misread your post.
Don't worry, the situation is of course much more complex than what I showed. MKSC had banana canceling from MK64, and of course MKW used MKDD assets, MKSC used MK64 assets, etc..

My point is that while on the surface MK8 seemed a whole new game (well, at least until you got to the vehicle customization menu...), on the inside it is incredibly similar to MK7, to the point that I'd say that it runs on a modified version of its physics engine (I mean, when the speed, expressed in distance units/frame is the same, and the weight is the same as well, it means that the physics engine and its constants must not have changed that much as well, and indeed all the other stats confirm this hypothesis). Even the item system, despite the heavy modifications, seems to derive from MK7.

A huge investment was made on MK8, of course (recording new voices is a not so frequent event, nowadays, and the care on the tracks' artstyle and content and on the soundtrack is evident), but this kind of similarities suggest me that to satisfy the "new Mario Kart every 3 years" rule they could not start from scratch on most aspects, and I really wonder how they will manage to make the next home console installment. I was thinking about a new MK7-like approach, in which you first develop the basics on the handheld game and the high quality assets on the subsequent home console game, because I find it simpler for the development team - the assets on the handheld game are less taxing.

MnSG said:
Nyrie said:

The stat total between weight classes would still have to be exactly the same though.
Actually, the stats total per characters are expressed in points, and they definitely don't give always the same sum. As an example, the sum of points for Lemmy is 55, while Morton has either 60 (On-Road Traction considered) or 50 (On-Road Traction not considered). After all, Tanookiweights and Catweigths gain one point of Acceleration and one point of Mini-Turbo only to lose one point in Weight.

I think that it's very difficult to make 1 point always worth the same, too. 1 point in acceleration might be important with many items, useless without them. 1 point in Handling might be important on Rainbow Road in 200cc with an inside drifting bike, irrelevant on Mario circuit.

Pink_Gold_Peach said:
Swiftie_Luma said:
Everybody is shorter than Rosalina , except Maybe Bowser.

Petey Piranha?

There's also these images of Donkey Kong:

mario_party_model_render_by_luigimariogmod-d5tlapm.png

66H2ye1.jpg

XpATIUE.jpg

Between the current Mario cast , i mean.

I didn't think about Petey because ever since Rosalina has been included as a regular playable , at the same time , Petey was downgraded to a Boss only. They don't have much appearences together to compare.

Rosalina is about as Tall as Waluigi in most media , but since Waluigi is never standing straight , he appears to be shorter while Rosalina floating and standing straight appears to be taller.

Bowser is the only character that appears regularly alongside Rosalina that clearly has a noticeable gap of height.

Pink_Gold_Peach said:
Is Link in the right weight class in your mind, as he is shorter than Rosalina?

Mr. Utility Belt is probably weighed down by his own equipment, making him weigh more than normal.

Sorry, but I just had to say that.

Mister Wu said:
Actually, the stats total per characters are expressed in points, and they definitely don't give always the same sum. As an example, the sum of points for Lemmy is 55, while Morton has either 60 (On-Road Traction considered) or 50 (On-Road Traction not considered). After all, Tanookiweights and Catweigths gain one point of Acceleration and one point of Mini-Turbo only to lose one point in Weight.

I think that it's very difficult to make 1 point always worth the same, too. 1 point in acceleration might be important with many items, useless without them. 1 point in Handling might be important on Rainbow Road in 200cc with an inside drifting bike, irrelevant on Mario circuit.

I was talking about when you add up the values for each of the five in-game stats. Mario's new default in-game stats add up to a 17.75 total, so all the other weight classes would have to have their stat total be 17.75 as well; the stats would just be distributed differently.

Pink_Gold_Peach said:
Swiftie_Luma said:
Everybody is shorter than Rosalina , except Maybe Bowser.

Petey Piranha?

There's also these images of Donkey Kong:

mario_party_model_render_by_luigimariogmod-d5tlapm.png

66H2ye1.jpg

XpATIUE.jpg

I've noticed there, that Diddy is taller than Mario and Wario, and Donkey outclasses even Petey and Bowser. Though I feel Donkey should be not too much taller than Waluigi and Rosalina but not too much shorter than Bowser, and Diddy looks should be not too much shorter than Bowser Junior.

Back