Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

SKmarioman said:
Baby Luigi said:
I find this Rainbow Road underrated. Sure it's not the GRAND HUGE WONDERLAND everyone was expecting for but I wasn't that disappointed by it. It was fun to race on.
Personally I found it fun to race on as well, I was just expecting more in terms of visuals than just a space station an a somewhat cool looking Blooper space shuttle, in fact thinking about it it's entirely possible the space station was supposed to be the Comet Observatory but was changed once Mario Kart TV became a bigger part of the game. See conveyor belts don't make much sense to be in space in the context of the Mario universe unless you consider the transparent orange and green platforms in the Comet Observatory.

If modding ever becomes a thing for this game like Wii I will make sure I do a model swap like this one way or another.
With the way the track layout is I find it hard for it be the comet observatory.

Mio Akiyama said:
With the way the track layout is I find it hard for it be the comet observatory.
Try to imagine that the conveyor belts in the space station are the green and orange curved platforms around the center of the observatory and that the section where the racers enter is the same as where the game starts when loading a saved file, and they leave with a launch star, just add some walls and make the platforms wider and encircle the beacon entirely so there are no gaps, and the rest of the track is just the same as it is.

So basically I'm thinking that there are no changes to the track layout as it is in the final game, but it's just driving within the Comet Observatory for a few seconds rather than a space station, in fact the only gameplay change really required is a short drop from the main platform to the curved moving platforms.

Alright might not tend to the expectations of many at first but it would at least address the lack of a Super Mario Galaxy motif.

I found the new Rainbow Road fun as well, and it looks nice. I seriously don't get the hate for it or Bone Dry Dunes.

My friend and I did all 32 courses in a row and I found the balance of items pretty odd. First off I can get Stars in 5th...? In DK Jungle it was the final lap and I was in 2nd and my friend past the finish line, I got an Item Box and it gave me the Golden Mushroom, how is this possible? It seemed a lot like MK64's item balancing where you can get stars in 2nd. Also I found myself getting the Super Horn quite a bit. One thing I thought was strange was I dropped from 3rd to 11th from falling in Music Park and 2 Bullet Bills passed me.

I used the Sports Coupe, Cyber Slick and Waddle Wing with Toadette. I am not really a big fan of Cloudtop Cruise or the new Rainbow Road but all the retro course choices were good.

After playing the new Rainbow Road more it's become my 2nd favorite course, behind Mount Wario.

So I did this:

The video doesn't show it, but you can actually go through the small gap between the fence and the second ramp with a well-timed mushroom and hop. Lakitu will put you on the other side and you can go backwards until the first ramp. If you then go back, the game disregards the first checkpoint, but it will count the second checkpoint as the second section. If you cross the finish line, it will count it as the final section. Keep going and the game once again ignores the first checkpoint. When you cross the second checkpoint again, you finish the race.

YoshiGo99 said:
My friend and I did all 32 courses in a row and I found the balance of items pretty odd. First off I can get Stars in 5th...? In DK Jungle it was the final lap and I was in 2nd and my friend past the finish line, I got an Item Box and it gave me the Golden Mushroom, how is this possible? It seemed a lot like MK64's item balancing where you can get stars in 2nd. Also I found myself getting the Super Horn quite a bit. One thing I thought was strange was I dropped from 3rd to 11th from falling in Music Park and 2 Bullet Bills passed me.

I used the Sports Coupe, Cyber Slick and Waddle Wing with Toadette. I am not really a big fan of Cloudtop Cruise or the new Rainbow Road but all the retro course choices were good.

The item distribution has changed. It's now based on your distance from the player in first.

Pizazz said:
YoshiGo99 said:

The item distribution has changed. It's now based on your distance from the player in first.
That's... actually quite smart. But, if the people in 10th are far away from 1st place to begin with, why do they get shells?

They shouldn't. Your placement should also have an impact on what item you receive

From what I can tell, the further away you are from the 1st place racer, the better your odds of getting a good item. However, you'll pretty much be out of luck if the 1st place racer is about to overlap you.

MnSG said:
From what I can tell, the further away you are from the 1st place racer, the better your odds of getting a good item. However, you'll pretty much be out of luck if the 1st place racer is about to overlap you.
Oh, I see. So if you're in 12th, and 1st place is about to lap you, you're screwed? That sucks, placement (2nd, 3rd, etc.) should be a bit of a factor.

The amount of racers also plays a factor, since if only two racers are present, then the trailing player has no chance of getting anything good most of the time.

Nysic said:
After playing the new Rainbow Road more it's become my 2nd favorite course, behind Mount Wario.
Pretty much my exact opinion as well.

Yeah, I feel that sometimes the item balancing can be completely bonkers, for the amount I times I've come in second because I got a Coin rather than something that can actually defend against a Red Shell, I've come in first because I got Triple Mushrooms in second place.

And don't even get me started on the times I got Coins and Bananas in 12th.

Well they made first place less invincible than it was in the past few installments

On the subject of item balancing, there was this one time I got a Bullet Bill when I was in 5th.

Back