What is your religious belief?

What is your religious belief?

• Total voters
Hobbes said:
Fennekin said:
what is Agnosticism and Theism?
I think Agnostics not only doubt the existence of a god, but firmly deny it (correct me if I'm wrong, please)
Actually, agnostics believe that while the existence of an almighty deity cannot be proven, it also cannot be disproven. Thus, some agnostics believe that whether or not a god truly does exists will never be able to be discovered for humans.

Time Turner said:
Hobbes said:
Fennekin said:
I think Agnostics not only doubt the existence of a god, but firmly deny it (correct me if I'm wrong, please)
Actually, agnostics believe that while the existence of an almighty deity cannot be proven, it also cannot be disproven. Thus, some agnostics believe that whether or not a god truly does exists will never be able to be discovered for humans.
And Theists are people who believe in one god.
There are people who are Agnostic-theists, a combination of the two. They believe in a god but think the existence of a deity cannot be proven or disproven.

Pandapowah said:
Time Turner said:
Hobbes said:
Fennekin said:
And Theists are people who believe in one god.
There are people who are Agnostic-theists, a combination of the two. They believe in a god but think the existence of a deity cannot be proven or disproven.
Yes, Polytheists are the ones who believe in many gods, my bad.

Though I believe Hindu is the only major polytheist religion still around. Don't know as much about Buddhism, but I believe that's monotheistic?

I'm now confused... Does anyone know if Theism always means you believe a god created the universe? Or can you be theist and believe in evolution and the Big-Bang?

Hobbes said:
I'm now confused... Does anyone know if Theism always means you believe a god created the universe? Or can you be theist and believe in evolution and the Big-Bang?

Yeah, you're still able to firmly believe in God while also believing in evolution and the big bang. I'm not sure why people on both sides think they're exclusive to each other. One quick and easy explanation as to how that could work is that an individual could believe that evolution and the big bang are just how God works his will and does his stuff. There's probably other explanations, too.

Hobbes said:
Theism is just believing in a deity of some sort, and nothing more. Atheism is not believing in any deities. It is possible to believe in an afterlife while being an atheist, and also possible to not believe in one while being a theist. If you're a semi-theist, that means you are probably agnostic if you don't outright believe either side.

Lario said:
Gundam Tanaka said:
Don't know as much about Buddhism, but I believe that's monotheistic?
Buddhism doesn't have any central deity.

Depends on the sect, I think. While Gautama didn't approve of the idea, if I'm not mistaken, some Mahayana Buddhists view him as a deity or at least as something comparable to one.

Back