Mario Sports Mix

NSY

Celestial Guide
This game is just underrated, full stop.

I've always wondered if it was any good, looked okay from screens and the trailer but dunno otherwise.

Tempest Tales said:
I'm disappointed this game with no unlockable Mario characters. Toss the Mario Hoops 3-on-3.
How can a roster ruin a game.

NSY said:
Tempest Tales said:
I'm disappointed this game with no unlockable Mario characters. Toss the Mario Hoops 3-on-3.

It really depends if there are differences between the characters, such as movesets, stats, moves, etc.

But this isn't an action or fighting game so I think he's overreacting.

I dunno. The lack of Waluigi was a deal breaker for some people in regards to Mario Kart 7.

Doomie said:
I dunno. The lack of Waluigi was a deal breaker for some people in regards to Mario Kart 7.

I think it was more of the fact that there were far worse characters in his place, which kinda made no sense.

Doomie said:
Do you mean some people almost forgot Toadette and Birdo weren't in too?

In this topic the biggest critiscism is for Birdo and Dixie who were tossed from Hoops 3-on-3.

NSY said:
The other concern is that if a home console could have a roster smaller than a handheld one. The number of roster is also littler than many other Mario sport spinoffs while it isn't really a complex game.

The gameplay of this game is far superb. Everything moves smoothly and where you want it. All characters also have their own quirks when performing the same attacks. I really like that. It shows that Square really does care about the game and that they're not rushing through it. I find Speedy characters a bit broken in Hockey, though. But, I found fun with all sports, and the Party games are very fun too. For a game that features multiple sports in one, Square did this job right. All the sports have much depth into it, which is hard to find in games with multiple sports/stuff in it.

What I didn't like was the poor character roster. Sure, it's a sports game, but the roster is even weaker than Mario Hoops 3-on-3, which is very baffling. Fly Guy, Dixie Kong, Paratroopa, Boo, and Birdo are all scrapped and Mii, Toad, and Slime were the only ones that got added. Toad is the only new Mario character, which does not even barely compensate for the major cuts. That's bad; you started out with even less than your precedent. What I especially didn't like was that all unlockable characters were Final Fantasty characters, and no where in the game box except for hints of Square Enix in the box assumes that Final Fantasy characters are about a 1/3 of the roster. They were pretty fine in Mario Hoops 3-on-3 as a surplus addition, but with a roster that has many cuts on the Mario portion rather than additions, in a game called Mario Sports Mix, is unforgivable.

The bad character roster really shows when you're trying to select a team. Most of us use a team of 3 characters. Sometimes, we are pretty dynamic and we want to choose other characters we like in the game. Except that you can't. You can't really change your team unless you really love all characters, which most often isn't the case. The roster could use more potential, especially since every character is actually unique, thanks to the differing animations and movements.

In other cases, we do get nice things such as outfit changes or awesome recolors, but it applies to only certain characters and we can't even choose many of them for the same team. While it's an inconvenience at best, the game is perfectly capable of doing this since you encounter teams of Toads in tournament mode, which makes it no excuse to not have an option at that.

Baby Luigi said:
What I especially didn't like was that all unlockable characters were Final Fantasty characters, and no where in the game box except for hints of Square Enix in the box assumes that Final Fantasy characters are about a 1/3 of the roster.
I don't care FF characters, though I agree that at least one Mario player should be unlockable.

Another topic is that the FF representives are not "characters" at all. If SE want fans to buy, Chocobo, Lightning, or Cloud might have better effects.

Dorayaki said:
Doomie said:
The point is that Toadette and Birdo are never "standard" characters. They're usually on and off while Waluigi has been there since Mario Tennis 64 and has been in almost, if not every, Mario spin-off while the other haven't. Suddenly, they drop Waluigi for what: a Mario recolor and a minor character that literally appears for like 3 minutes in both Galaxy games.

I honestly don't think H. Queen and Metal Mario replaced Waluigi. The game developers were just too lazy to add Waluigi with the new characters. They're really too concerned about roster balance over fan favorite characters. The dropping of Waluigi isn't a good choice, and it does prove that character rosters really do matter at points, especially in games where characters don't influence your choice other than some shared stats.

If adding Waluigi doesn't have any negative impact on the game other than taking up memory (which Mario Kart 7 already has plenty at its current state), this begs the question: why leave him out anyway?

Chilly said:
Dorayaki said:
Doomie said:
The point is that Toadette and Birdo are never "standard" characters. They're usually on and off while Waluigi has been there since Mario Tennis 64 and has been in almost, if not every, Mario spin-off while the other haven't.
Sounds very new to me. Not to say some of them should be in mainstream games, they're classified as secondary characters in face of Mario bros and Peach in this series. You just sound like giving differential treatments. :???:

Baby Luigi said:
If adding Waluigi doesn't have any negative impact on the game other than taking up memory (which Mario Kart 7 already has plenty at its current state), this begs the question: why leave him out anyway?
I'm not sure if new playable characters are controversial (maybe species ones), but places of rosters are never enough. Unless you mean others like Wario or Yoshi should be take away in that game, not Waluigi.

Dorayaki said:
I'm not sure if new playable characters are controversial (maybe species ones), but places of rosters are never enough. Unless you mean others like Wario or Yoshi should be take away in that game, not Waluigi.

Metal Mario, Honey Queen, and Baby Daisy are character choices as controversial as they get, and they much less aren't even species either. People would actually much rather see a playable Dry Bones, Boo, Hammer Bro., etc over these characters.

Don't compare Wario and Yoshi to Waluigi. They're series staples. Wario has appeared since Mario Kart 64 and Yoshi has appeared in all Mario Kart games so far. Waluigi hasn't appeared until Double Dash and Mario Kart Arcade GP 2, and therefore has less priority than Wario and Yoshi. Though he would be considered a spin-off staple by now, which still makes the exclusion of Waluigi in Mario Kart 7 highly baffling.

Baby Luigi said:
Metal Mario, Honey Queen, and Baby Daisy are character choices as controversial as they get, and they much less aren't even species either. People would actually much rather see a playable Dry Bones, Boo, Hammer Bro., etc over these characters.

Don't compare Wario and Yoshi to Waluigi. They're series staples. Wario has appeared since Mario Kart 64 and Yoshi has appeared in all Mario Kart games so far. Waluigi hasn't appeared until Double Dash and Mario Kart Arcade GP 2, and therefore has less priority than Wario and Yoshi. Though he would be considered a spin-off staple by now, which still makes the exclusion of Waluigi in Mario Kart 7 highly baffling.
Dry Bones and Hammer Bro don't have representive characters, so I'm not sure. Baby Daisy has to enhance her position via an RPG appearance just like her adult form.

Waluigi was made to be Wario's partner, so he can't receive more appearances than Wario in general, and the other topic is Waluigi's appearance in Wario games.
For Wario and Yoshi, they both share the most appearances as non-protagonists, and they don't have to be in all games. Like I said, Kart 7 didn't include all the characters except Waluigi.

Dorayaki said:
Dry Bones and Hammer Bro don't have representive characters, so I'm not sure. Baby Daisy has to enhance her position via an RPG appearance just like her adult form.

Yeah, since when you ever needed representative characters to be playable? Never. Just as long as the said enemy is highly popular, it has a shot at being playable. Simple as that.

Baby Daisy doesn't need to "enhance" her position via RPG appearance, nor any appearance in general. She can stay spin-off exclusive and still be significant. Just like Waluigi.

Dorayaki said:
Waluigi was made to be Wario's partner, so he can't receive more appearances than Wario in general,

He should appear playable in spin-offs alongside any other character these days, and Mario Kart 7 just failed at that.

Waluigi should really appear in a "mainsteam" Mario game for at least once.

Baby Luigi said:
Dorayaki said:
Yeah, since when you ever needed representative characters to be playable? Never. Just as long as the said enemy is highly popular, it has a shot at being playable. Simple as that.

Baby Daisy doesn't need to "enhance" her position via RPG appearance, nor any appearance in general. She can stay spin-off exclusive and still be significant. Just like Waluigi.

Dorayaki said:
Waluigi was made to be Wario's partner, so he can't receive more appearances than Wario in general,

He should appear playable in spin-offs alongside any other character these days, and Mario Kart 7 just failed at that.
Waluigi should really appear in a "mainsteam" Mario game for at least once.
I mean some species don't have characters like Dry Bones, so not so many problems. But still there are many other recurring characters prior to them.

Babies were all based on their Yoshi games, so it's controversial for Baby Daisy not doing so, and we have to see if she can be in the next Yoshi game. Or I don't know why you say she's controversial.

It should be that main characters are doing wiith main games as far as possible. Spinoff-only characters would have apparent features to be in exclusive games (eg, who lives in a fairyland.), and Wario bros are like this to NSMB games. Unless you mean that Waluigi shouldn't be with Wario and can be in the next NSMB, or it's more strange that Waluigi is always excluded in Wario's activities.

These parts are bit offtopic. It was about Mix Sport's roster.

I really liked this game, Dodgeball was the best sport by far, Volleyball was alright, Basketball was fun but Hockey was kind of lackluster.

I 100% unlocked everything for Dodgeball and got about 90% for Volleyball, but I got bored I guess.

Actually, I think there's a code that unlocks everything or something along those lines.

I tried that code.

It didn't work.

It does work though, tried it a sec ago.

How come it didn't work for me? Was I doing something wrong or what?

If it doesn't work, eh, I can always Ocarina code it. I have Homebrew anyway.

Baby Luigi said:
I tried that code.

It didn't work.

I watched a YouTube video that explained it well. You need to make a new file or something first and theres one or two other specifics but a video would help.

Back